close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mazda CX-9: Looking to buy-pros and cons?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by beforeobamabans, Mar 9, 2012.

1. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans FYPM

The title says it all. Anyone here own one and have feedback? Any must have or should avoid options? This vehicle will be my wife's DD and our family's road trip car.

2. BL33D 4 M3

BL33D 4 M3 SDMF

No way. I found it way too small. I bought a Honda Pilot.

3. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans FYPM

A CX-9? Smaller than a Pilot?

Anyway, I test drove a 2011 demo yesterday and can report that this is a very comfortable, powerful package. I really like the firm suspension which gives a feeling of control even with 4300 lbs. The steering is light, quick and accurate (boosted rack and pinion). The interior is nice with my favorite touch being the center bench on tracks allowing it to be slid back to where I even have plenty of legroom (6'-4"). This will be my wife's DD but my long distance hauler. It seems perfectly suited for both roles. Any owner's care to chime in?

4. NCwriter

NCwriter Senior Member

We looked at the CX-9, but my wife said it was too big for her. She ended up with the CX-7, the little brother. I on the other hand really liked the CX-9. Roomy and comfortable. Mazda has a good rep and they make quality cars. If you liked the demo and the family fits with your gear, I would say that it is an excellent choice. BTW one other reason I liked the Mazda (first foreign car for us) was all the gear heads out there on forums just like this one. They know quite a bit about Mazda's and you can get some really good advice. Our CX-7 just turned 4 and has 70K, we do a lot of driving!

5. Dan_ntx

Dan_ntx

Look late model used.... They have a big depreciation off the lot in my area. Mazda is also not known for discounts or incentives for new purchases.

I really like the CX9, and I think Mazda makes a quality car. They seem to sell great in markets where they have good dealer support, and people who buy them like them.

6. BL33D 4 M3

BL33D 4 M3 SDMF

That was my strong impression from the driver's seat. Much narrower. Less shoulder/elbow room by a large margin. Knees cramped.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  7. pugman

pugman

I have always considered Mazda kind of one of the dark horses of the car world.

I have a 2000 Mazda Protege bought new with 282,000 on the clock...besides tires, wipers and other basic maintenance including a timing belt I have had a total of $312.82 in repairs (oil pan seal and premuffler exhaust pipe off the manifold). I still get 40 with it.

We have a 2010 CRV and I think the CX9 compares more than favorably to it. We had a 2003 CRV and I think the new models are built a little cheaper...they have more gadgets but I don't like the way the platform is going.

A close friend has a 2009 CX9 and can't say enough good things about it. To new to give it a honest long term reliability opinion but it has run well

8. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

Rear doors open super wide. I took one look and decided I couldn't afford to pay the insurance to cover all the dents my kids would put in other cars parked next to me.

Other than that, seemed like a nice car.

9. GlocknSpiehl

GlocknSpiehl NRA Life Member

We had one and loved it. Very comfortable, even for my big butt, and a great car for trips.

I've post a couple of times before in other threads that it saved my wife's life when two dumb Miamians, racing, ran a red and hit her on the driver's side; 1 car on her door, 1 car on the door behind her. Hit her hard enough to move the CX9 out of the road, up onto the sidewalk and into a traffic light pole.

Front, side, and side impact airbags all deployed, saving her from head injuries. She got off with a badly fractured finger, whiplash and back strain. All three cars were totalled in the crash.