Mazda CX 5?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Von Hayes, May 3, 2012.

1. Von Hayes

Von Hayes

I,m in the market for my first new car. My grandfather always said never to buy the first year of a new model.....does that still apply these days?

All the reviews I have read are excellent.

2. SC Tiger

SC Tiger As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Your grandfather was very wise. This applies to cars, guns, and electronic technology in general. If the car is very popular you also avoid the rush to get it when it first comes out, along with the high markup that comes with that.

If the engine and transmission have been around a while you may be safe but there are a lot of other things on a car that can go out and be a pain.

3. wjv

wjv RIP Stan Lee.. . .

Wait a year. . seriously. . .

4. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

The car is pretty underpowered for it's class(about 20HP short of the other 4 cylinders), so keep that in mind as well, especially if you plan on driving with 3 or more people in the car, with a lot of gear, or up hills in high altitude. Plus it seems pretty expensive. You can get a RAV4 V6, or a loaded up CR-V for the same money.

5. PuroMexicano

PuroMexicano VIVA MEXICO !!!

Is it possible to upgrade to the CX-7 turbo?
    You WONT BE DISSAPOINTED!!!

6. Von Hayes

Von Hayes

Actually thinking about the VW Tiguan as well.

Soon will be the time of test driving.

What's gonna be funny is when they get to the financing.......cuz I have a good amount of cash, and really,really bad credit.

I want a deal like normal human beings, or I,m walking.

Find myself a used Isuzu axiom like I always wanted ;-)

7. Homechicken

Homechicken

Can't speak to the CX-5, however, I've owned 3 Mazdas and was happy with all of them. All had 4 cylinder/manual transmission. The last one was a 1991 model. Sold it to a friend in 1998 at 100K miles and she put another 100K on it before it bit the dust. They were not speed demons, but they were cheap fuel efficient vehicles. The first was a p/u truck that got OK mileage, but the last 2 were cars that got 35 - 38mpg on the highway and a little over 30 around town. They sounded like a tin can when you shut the doors and the seats were hard and lacked support, but when I was younger that wasn't as big of a concern. The main reason I quit buying Mazdas was the comfort factor. The last one I test drove in 2008 had the typical hard uncomfortable seats. If I were younger and wanted another fuel efficient car, I'd consider Mazda again.

8. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Not exactly correct.

The cheapest CR-V lists at $22.5k
    The cheapest CX-5 lists at $20.7k
    The cheapest RAV4 lists at $22.6k

The most expensive CR-V - $30k
    The most expensive CX-5 - $28.7k
    The most expensive RAV4 - $28.6k

I agree with Homechicken in that the seats are not plush, they are utilitarian. I've driven a new Mazda 3 for 500 miles to break it in, then another 1500 miles before we parted ways. I've also put close to 70k on another factory fresh model, and about 3k miles on a relatively new CX-7

For fuel mileage, Mazda (with these three vehicles) wins. For comfort, that goes to Honda/Toyota.

The CX-5 is unique in that it is the only of the three models that offers a standard transmission (I have driven the Mazda 5 stick shift and it is a complete blast to drive!). There is a lot of "pull" up in the 3500-4300 rpm range.

Their 35mpg claim only applies to the standard transmission model, the other models top out at 32mpg highway.

I do not now, nor have I ever worked for Mazda or any of it's affiliates. They simply make fun cars that are also very popular outside of the USA because of their compact sizes.

-G

9. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

The RAV4 V6 with all wheel drive is very quick off the line. It surprised me the first time I merged with freeway traffic from the shoulder. I didn't need nearly as much of a hole in traffic as I thought I would.

Not the best handling car in the world, but very comfortable and like I said before very quick off the line.

If you go for a RAV4 I recommend you spring for an upgraded sound system. The stock radio in my 2010 is the worst car sound system I have ever heard. I am about to spring for an $1K sound upgrade for my birthday.

Hertz Speakers, Kenwood Head unit, Dynamat in the doors. Should make a decent difference in sound quality. First time I have heard of Hertz speakers (they are Italian made). Very smooth response, markedly better than the other 6.5" component speakers I listened too.

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  10. Tvov

Tvov

We just test drove a Mazda CX-5... wow, what a nice car. Also has a weirdly incredible amount of room inside it. I am 6'1", and fit in the back seat comfortably. The one we test drove was loaded with all the bells and whistles. I would have no hesitation buying it right now if we could work out the financials. As it is we are probably going to buy a vehicle a couple years old.

11. Tvov

Tvov

Whoa, did not realize this thread is old, sorry.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  12. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

I don't know. The Mazda CX-7 and CX-9 always make the worst car/worst crash test list.

http://247wallst.com/2012/05/29/the-most-dangerous-cars-in-america/

Personally I avoid Mazda like the plague. If you are going to go Jap, go with Toyota or Nissan. If you are going to go American get a Ford or Chevy.

Mazda is a bastard hybrid Japanese/American company. I would buy a Kia or a Hyundai first.

13. Von Hayes

Von Hayes

I ended up getting a 2005 Jeep Liberty just the other week. Pretty happy so.far.

14. Moravia

Moravia

First off, I am biased. I have owned 2 Mazdas. Currently own a Mazdaspeed 3. A real blast to drive. Mazda, without a doubt makes the best entry level compact cars on the market. WAY nicer than the comparable Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla. As for the CX-5, I don't know if they have that market in the bag. I think they CX-5 is nicer than the CR-V by a long shot but the CR-V does offer a more powerful engine as an option. I think Ford may have a nicer product with the Escape but at a price point higher than a similarly equipped CX-5. As for the RAV-4, a fully loaded one with the 4 cylinder engine comes with a 4 speed automatic (what is this the 90s?) and even with the most expensive package doesn't have an option for HID lights. And that is 30K+ MSRP. RAV-4 shouldn't even be an option. I have tested a CX-5 and its a nice handling little SUV, it needs more power, maybe the 2.3l turbo 4 from the Mazdaspeed 3 or the CX-7 as at least an option. With an engine like that, it would be a fantastic vehicle.

None of these SUVs have much off road capability. The CX-5 wins in style and options at price point with the downside being the limited engine option. If you need a 5 person hauler with a nice interior for less than 30K pretty much fully loaded CX-5 is hard to beat. If you need actual off road capability get a Jeep.

15. JasonC8301

JasonC8301

I own a 2005 Mazda Tribute with a 2.3 I-4 with 115k. I bought it new and maintain it well. I wished I went with the 3.0 V6 but the I4 isn't bad. It won't win races but gets where you have to go.

Knowing this, I test drove both the CX-7 with turbo 4 and a CX-5 a few weeks ago. The CX-7 is faster but costs about 5k more than the CX-5. The dealer said it comes down to fuel economy and the new sky activ technology. People don't want upper teens and lower 20's anymore. They want a crossover suv with mid 30's gas mileage. What do you lose for that? Power.

I would have purchased a CX-5 in 2014 only if they made one with a bigger or more powerful engine. Let Mazda work out any potential issues first.

16. CBennett

CBennett

Nice car, underpowered but great handling(they compare the handling to a Miata if that tells you anything) IF they ever get the performance/hp boosted to better levels they will hit a home run right now i give it a solid double..Plys it looks a lot nicer than stuff like the Honda and Totota(IMO of course only) which both look BORING and pedestrian at least this Mazda has a "fresh" look to it.

17. CBennett

CBennett

Biggest thing between the 2 and the one thing most people that are looking at the Mazda for that no jeep can match(and IMO if your looking at the Mazda this is one of its strong points) is the MPG...and while I love the look of most Jeeps the reason I also dont own one is the ONLY one that even looks remotely jeep like AND gets barely acceptable MPG is the Patriot(at least that looks a lot like the old Cherokee did) and thats got its own slew of problems in the front end,water leaks, etc,etc..

18. CBennett

CBennett

throw a turbo on it and have a mazda speed CX5 AWD :supergrin:

19. DennisP

DennisP

Hey I drive a used Isuzu Axiom and it has been the best vehicle I have ever owned.

Dennis P.

20. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

As I understand it, Mazda's future isn't looking so certain..
    (and I really like Mazda, always have)

Having particpated in the design, commisioning, and startup of an automobile assembly line, I would never buy the first year's production... never.

If they go through chaos and confusion to start production of a M*******-B****, imagine what it's like for others...

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012