Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,856 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,222 Posts
I’d have though that the Marlin 45-70 line alone would have given them a boost. Prices for the new ones were a bit on the ridiculous side. Not sure if they still are or not.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I’d have though that the Marlin 45-70 line alone would have given them a boost. Prices for the new ones were a bit on the ridiculous side. Not sure if they still are or not.
Have to remember that corporations amortize acquisitions over a period of time, and that changes the "appearance" of the profit margin. Ruger paid out a lot of money to acquire Marlin- good money managers will spread that out over several years to maximize the tax benefits.
Ruger is still running at maximum capacity, it's only accounting magic that makes them look like they're making less money.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Have to remember that corporations amortize acquisitions over a period of time, and that changes the "appearance" of the profit margin. Ruger paid out a lot of money to acquire Marlin- good money managers will spread that out over several years to maximize the tax benefits.
Ruger is still running at maximum capacity, it's only accounting magic that makes them look like they're making less money.
I haven't seen one of the new Ruger made Marlins yet but the local shop here was selling Henry and Remlin .45/70's faster than they could get them to people who figured lever guns will always be legal if anything is banned. Personally I'd go for a side gate Henry over anything from Marlin. I believe Ruger missed the boat on upgrading the 1895 because they should have eliminated the crossbolt safety. If concerned about liability they could have designed a functional transfer bar system for it.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I haven't seen one of the new Ruger made Marlins yet but the local shop here was selling Henry and Remlin .45/70's faster than they could get them to people who figured lever guns will always be legal if anything is banned. Personally I'd go for a side gate Henry over anything from Marlin. I believe Ruger missed the boat on upgrading the 1895 because they should have eliminated the crossbolt safety. If concerned about liability they could have designed a functional transfer bar system for it.
I'm with you- haven't seen the new Marlins. I'm not a fan of the Henry's, but their single shots are pretty sweet.
I agree about the crossbolt safety. There is a guy on the Leverguns forum who was selling a kit to eliminate the crossbolt- looked just like another action screw and didn't require gunsmithing, just your dinner table, a towel, and a couple tools.
I wonder if he is still around?
My Marlins are 1970 and older, and I have no plans to buy more. I hope newer buyers get something better than what Remington pushed on Marlin.

·
Premium Member
3,222 Posts
There is a guy on the Leverguns forum who was selling a kit to eliminate the crossbolt- looked just like another action screw and didn't require gunsmithing, just your dinner table, a towel, and a couple tools.
My Marlins are 1970 and older, and I have no plans to buy more. I hope newer buyers get something better than what Remington pushed on Marlin.
I’m not sure if that particular fellow is still around, but Ranger Point Precision makes a Marlin safety delete plug out of aluminum. It‘s like 25 bucks or something. Bunch of tacticool stuff on their sight, but this bit looks pretty plain.

·
Registered
319 Posts
@warbow150, thanks for the update. I've referred several friends to Leverguns to track that guy down- I haven't been on that site in years.
Nice to know about Ranger Point. I know of the quality of their work from back when they did 'smithing. I expect their custom parts manufacturing is the same high quality.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Acquisitions as a whole are not amortized, only the goodwill portion of the purchase. Goodwill is the amount of the purchase price that is in excess of the fair market value of all identifiable assets of the company being purchased. For taxes, goodwill is amortized over 15 years, money managers have no control over that, it is what it is. Most companies wish they could take it all at once in the first year and get the immediate tax benefit, not spread it out and have to wait for the tax benefits over years. Time value of money makes spreading the tax benefit over years less valuable. Think present value calculations.

For financial statement purposes, the US Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) issued in 2001, Statement 142, Accounting for Goodwill and Intangible Assets which not longer permitts amortization of goodwill instead, companies' auditors would have to perform numerous impairment tests to evaluate if the carrying value of goodwill was still accurate or if it had become impaired and therefore would have to be written down and expensed in continuing operations.

I was an auditor for the Big 4 firm Pricewaterhouse Coopers when Statement 142 was issues, I HATED those impairment tests, they were so subjective and my clients hated them even more because they jacked up the audit fee. Fortunately in 2014, FASB amended Statement 142 stating that amortization was not permitted for publicly traded companies (like Ruger) but non publicly traded companies can chose amortization or impairment testing, unfortunately Ruger would not be able to choose.

Ruger officials (probably the CFO and CFO staff) did release a statement recently stating the the drop in earning was related to a softening of demand in the fire arms market. I am glad it is because of less demand and not supply chain issues.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I'm with you- haven't seen the new Marlins. I'm not a fan of the Henry's, but their single shots are pretty sweet.
I agree about the crossbolt safety. There is a guy on the Leverguns forum who was selling a kit to eliminate the crossbolt- looked just like another action screw and didn't require gunsmithing, just your dinner table, a towel, and a couple tools.
There is one thing about the safety delete... if you ever plan on packing that gun on a hunt in another country, the removal of any factory installed safety can make it suddenly illegal (especially anywhere in the British Commonwealth).

And if you watch some Youtube videos with "firearms experts" demonstrating lever guns.... well... some of those modern "experts" are seen showing off a loaded and COCKED rifle. They apparently don't know how to lower a hammer to half cock and they're not going to read an owner's manual either.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts