close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mayan doomsday / stop it already

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by mike g35, Mar 8, 2012.

1. mike g35

mike g35

I keep reading magazine articles, seeing shows on TV, and seeing threads online about the end of the world, or doomsday if you prefer. Seriously, how many of you expect that on December 21, 2012 your life will be any different than it was before. I see and hear about the "preppers" and even though I agree with them about being prepared (to an extent) I cannot join in with the fanatical nut jobs that believe ancient prophecies from long dead civilizations.
    Now here's what really gets me, the marketing. I see guys making a living off of peoples fears and it makes me sick. The only good thing about all of this is it has driven up gun sales and membership in the NRA. Guns and ammo, food and water, fire and shelter. Pack yourself a bugout bag that includes all the stuff listed above, throw it in the closet and then relax.
    And please trust me people para-cord is not going to save you without anything else in place. I firmly believe I could wrap a piece of chewing gum in para-cord and call it "survival gum" and I would make a freakin' fortune. Have you seen all of the trash being sold online built with para-cord? Key chains, light holders, etc.. Its getting ridiculous, the only one of those people that don't deserve to have to pay back all the money they have made is the one that's making them and giving a large percent of their profits to the Wounded Warrior Project (and they will remain nameless because this is not a commercial).
    Also I hear people buying extravagant guns to "defend" their families with, like the 5.7x28mm FNH PS90. Its a great gun, but wouldn't a G19, AK47, and a pistol grip 12ga serve you better. If you ARE going to go out and buy guns for the end of the world you might want to buy guns that you will be able to find ammo for. And you might want to keep your gun costs down and spend a little on MRE's and water so you don't starve to death. OR EVEN BETTER, buy whatever guns you want and go shoot them and have fun, take the kids to Disney Land and do whatever else you want because ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!!!!!!!
    So...your thoughts???

(Survival BubbleGum now available, contact me at 555-555-5555 its minty taste and two inches of para-cord could save your life one day!!! LMAO :rofl::supergrin::faint:)

2. HOTHEAD

HOTHEAD

Wasn't there just a thread recently about the whole leap year thing. Something about how the Mayan's did not account for leap year, and because we recognize it, the world actually ended like 7 months ago? I'm not sure, but I know I read it on a forum recently. For what that's worth.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012

3. Glock940

Glock940

How much for the bubblegum?

4. mike g35

mike g35

Just $5 a stick :rofl:Wouldn't want to rip anyone off.:rofl:

5. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Funny is CTD doing a countdown on their catalogs. :upeyes: Hope they choke next year by panicking people into buying this year. ;)

6. VELO

VELO

Reminds me of 1999.

7. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

It was a helluva party...

8. Altaris

Altaris

9. NH Trucker

NH Trucker Needs coffee...

I've seen that forwarded on facebook lately. But you would think that whoever was calculating the Mayan calendar and how it correlates to our Gregorian calendar would have thought of factoring in the leap years.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

10. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Given that their calendar ends on the Solstice, it's irrelevant whether they factored in centuries of leap days or not.

11. rsagona1

rsagona1 Hello

I hope not. There is a lot I haven't accomplished yet.

12. HarleyGuy

HarleyGuy

Like Y2K, 12/21/2012 is receiving a lot of attention as it gets closer.
    And like Y2K, if the SHTF, there's only so much than we can do, regardless of how much ammo we have on hand or how many/what type of guns we own.

I look at it like facing major snow storm and days without electricity.

Keep enough food (lots of canned goods), water, BEER, etc to be comfortable and sit things out.
    Always keep gasoline for the car and generator and enough cash (especially singles and fives) to last a couple of weeks.

Who knows what may happen, but given the global financial system being in the toilet, I think something may "pop" in the E.U. or perhaps with the U.S.

Either way, I ain't losing sleep over it.
    If it's gonna happen, there's nothing that I can do about it and who knows for sure how much time they have left?

13. Rumbler_G20

Rumbler_G20

Mike, I don't see how the possibility can be reasonably excluded "those folks" are right.

. . . or maybe it's just that I feel prudence dictates "they" not be discounted outright. If for no other reason than the implications surrounding:

"What if they are right?"

It is pretty much a certainty that failure to prepare is a death sentence for you (proverbially) and your family (again; proverbially) unless you have some profoundly stupid but well prepared neighbors. Chances of that have got to be pretty slim, if they are sharp enough to prep they are sharp enough to know not to bring people into their group with nothing tangible to contribute to it.

. . not trying to toss stones, or cast dispersions, just trying to present a different perspective for consideration. :wavey:

14. Magnus2131

Magnus2131 Glock Gimp

If we keep predicting doomsday, it's eventually going to happen. I love how the History Channel portrays this as inevitable.

15. berto62

berto62

The end of times......how can this be. Snookie hasn't even had her baby yet

16. raven11

raven11

its either doomsday or Hitler documentary

17. GLWyandotte

GLWyandotte Señor Member

Man, ain't that the truth. I will say that I have learned far more about European history in general while watching the Hitler Channel.

18. ray9898

ray9898

If people were not so gullible it wouldn't work.

19. volky

volky NRA Member Millennium Member

After the November elections, a lot of things will change. Hopefully, for the better, but I fear they may not.

20. JBG30

JBG30

If it's the end of the world, isn't that the death sentence? How, and why would you prepare to vanish? Just another perspective to consider.