close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Maximizing Glock trade-in

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by philpac33, Jul 26, 2012.

1. philpac33

philpac33

I recently came across another G23 that was too good to pass up. Over time I've been able to set up each of my Glocks exactly the way I want them but lately have had the urge to do something different(again) to a G19. I don't want to make any changes to the 19 I have now. I want to start OEM, gen3 or 4, and either new or low round count.

I'm going to use this newly acquired G23 to get a new 19(my original 23 is the only one I need) but I'm new to getting rid of guns; up to this point all I've done is buy!! What's the best way to maximize the value towards another 19? Should I sell it privately? Trade it in at a local gun store? Or the nearby Cabela's? One gun shop does consignment, I just don't want them to jack up the price and have it sit there.

This G23 is a gen3, great shape(low round count, minor holster wear), new XS Big Dot(Trijicon tritium) night sights, Pierce grip plug, Punisher custom slide plate cover(original included), and of course the plastic Glock case and two 15 round magazines. I was helping a guy out with a cash flow problem and got it for $300 so I know I can get some profit out of the deal. What routes have you gone in this situation and what do you recommend? This next G19 project is all I can think about!! Thanks everybody!!

2. kodiakpb

kodiakpb

Advertise it on a local guntrader board for a F2F sale.

3. larson1122

larson1122

Your best bet is to sell it privately. ArmsList is a great place to start. I sold a gun on there recently and it worked out really well. Local shops, especially Cabela's, aren't going to offer you much for it on a trade in.

4. Engineer

Engineer

Local private sale is the best way to maximize the amount you will get for the pistol.

Also, you mentioned that you set up each of your Glocks to the way you want them - if that included adding stuff like a "-" connector or an extended slide stop, take those off and return the pistol to stock form before you sell it.

5. Bruce M

Bruce M

6. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Avoid the urge to sell guns. But more important, avoid hasty purchases.You will USUALLY lose $$$ in a trade. Obviously flipping a $300 gun is the exception.

7. eaglefrq

eaglefrq NRA Member

Private sale is the best way, but consignment also works. I sold a gun through consignment and it was easy. Unless my LGS is different, I set the price (asking and minimum) for the gun. They will try to sell it at your asking price, but the low price gives them room to negotiate and when it sells, the LGS gets a fee, generally 20%.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  8. eaglefrq

eaglefrq NRA Member

Duplicate post

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  9. Adamz04

Adamz04

This is what I do. I'm a member of a local online gun forum and we have a classified section that is great. Guns sell quickly because the people are local and there is no shipping. I pretty much only use that site for that reason cause most people on there are glock haters.

I sold a g4 g19 that I paid 569 for. I got 480 for it.

10. gatorboy

gatorboy

I usually sell used Glocks in good condition for $400 or $450 with night sights and Wolff recoil assembly. That 23 should get $425 if the holster wear isn't bad. You'll never get close to that in a shop. Bet he took it around and was offered $250 or less so $300 from you was a good deal for him since he didn't want to take a day and make $100 more. These prices are pretty fair around here. I sold a shooting buddy of mine a nice 23 with Wolff RSA and mep's for $350 because he's a friend and my mechanic. You always want to be good to your mechanic and friends for that matter.

11. gatorboy

gatorboy

BTW, this is a great time to part with extra mags if you have any Glock 9mm mags laying around. Got any 7151 +2's your not using? Those may sweeten the deal but aren't worth really any extra coin though to order just one online with shipping is like $10.