Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am loading 10mm, 165 and 180 gr jhp. I read on line that 11gr. of Blue Dot is a max load and makes for some hot game loads. I have loaded a few, but have since gotten a little nervous about them (in my Glock 20 and maybe soon a Mech Tech carbine). What do you 10mm guys think about 11gr. of Blue Dot. Too much? Thanks. jrh

·
Banned
10,098 Posts
I am loading 10mm, 165 and 180 gr jhp. I read on line that 11gr. of Blue Dot is a max load and makes for some hot game loads. I have loaded a few, but have since gotten a little nervous about them (in my Glock 20 and maybe soon a Mech Tech carbine). What do you 10mm guys think about 11gr. of Blue Dot. Too much? Thanks. jrh
Should be on the safe side but I'd get some Power Pistol and a Lone Wolf barrel instead. Glock bulge ruins the brass, even when sized in a push through die. Do you get any pressure signs?

http://www.larrywillis.com/pressure_signs.html

How bad is your bulge?

·
Registered
20,003 Posts

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
Keep in mind that the max charge of 11.0 BD for a 180 is for a Speer bullet. They are not of the same construction as a jacketed bullet so not plug-and-play.

Other published 180 gr BD maxes are 10.1, 10.7, and 10.2. It would be best to start at the mid 9s and work up carefully in 2/10s gr increments. Look for bulges or smiles. 11 with a 180 would be a HOT load.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Should be on the safe side but I'd get some Power Pistol and a Lone Wolf barrel instead. Glock bulge ruins the brass, even when sized in a push through die. Do you get any pressure signs?

How bad is your bulge?

Actually, I have not shot the 11g-ers, wanting wait on what you all say about it first. I think the chamber is better supported on a carbine, which is another place I want to shoot 10mm.

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
Actually, I have not shot the 11g-ers, wanting wait on what you all say about it first. I think the chamber is better supported on a carbine, which is another place I want to shoot 10mm.
So what did you learn from your workups at lesser charges? How were velocities? What was the condition of your brass? What has grouped the best so far? Certainly you've started at less than the highest known book max, right?

The point is that we can't say for sure if that load is safe in your gun

·
Registered
38,984 Posts

How bad is your bulge?

Imo, this brass is badly overloaded. If you have to use a pass thru die to return the cases to useful dia, the load is too hot for your gun/bbl. Once brass does this, it is weakened & with full power loads, you risk a case failure.
So is a 180 over 11gr safe, depends on your gun, seating depth, primer, case manuf & bullet choice. When playing at max, everything matters.

Reactions: robhic

·
sci-fi nut
789 Posts

in 3 different manuals the max load i could find is 10.3 in 2 of them and 9.7 in the other. i don't think i would go anywhere near 11 grains

·
Registered
6 Posts
In my testing with Blue Dot, I found it to be fair at the start loads (9.0 gr.) and the max load I tested, (10.8) but in that "sweet spot" of 10.4 gr. accuracy is outstanding, in all three of my 10s. Only chronos 1165 f.p.s. in my 6" G40 but will shoot sub 2" groups at 50 yards if I do my part.

So to the OP, do I think 11 gr. of Blue Dot is to hot for your gun? Maybe.
Like Fred and Taterhead have hinted to. Reloading is not plug n play. All the manuals in print and online are telling you, are their results, with their equipment. It's up to you to do proper load workup to determine whats a max load for your gun. So, before you shoot them, (or pull them) load up ten rounds at 9.0 gr. and 9.2 and 9.4 etc. and Test them. You may discover you don't want to shoot them or you may feel it's ok to try them.

Jeff

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all your helpful comments. I'm gonna pull the 11 grainers and start lower as many have suggested. One thing I have seen is that reloading manuals tend to start really low, and as people apply their own recipes, they sometimes tend to be higher loads than in the manuals. What I am looking for is accuracy, and I need to try some (starting lower) and work up. jrh

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
Good call. You might not need to pull them though. Just load ladders in increments below 11.0 and work up. If anything gives concern below that, then pull them.

Reactions: Cpt.J

·
Registered
611 Posts
Seconded. I always start of at the minimum load and work up. . I'd be wary of anything much over 10.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
In my testing with Blue Dot, I found it to be fair at the start loads (9.0 gr.) and the max load I tested, (10.8) but in that "sweet spot" of 10.4 gr. accuracy is outstanding, in all three of my 10s. snipped
Jeff
In my stock G20, I went up thru the loads of 10gr to 11gr using a 180gr Xtreme FN HPCB ( heavy plated ).

I also found the sweet spot in the range of 10.2 - 10.6 of Blue Dot, being the most accurate.
I settled on 10.4 gr because the powder dump runs +/- .1gr .... leaving me in a safe range below tested max.
Along with the fact that the regular resizer handles all the cases with 99% passing the max gauge test after. ( no full length resize needed ). Expansion on cases run in my gun about .432 +/- .001 and for me the smiles occur above .434 ( only seen by me in a few "deluxe" rounds ).

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It has been a while since my OP, but spring is here and back to shooting more. I have a Mech Tech 10mm carbine for my Glock 20 frame coming in the mail tomorrow. Over the next couple of weekends, I will be shooting some of these with different loads and will report back about some of my experiences with them. Again, I appreciate the conversation about this issue. Joe

·
Registered
470 Posts
I also have a mech tech and love it!

The gun is a blow back, it dosen't take loads the same as a locked breech gun. Some powders pressure curves are such that bulged cases will be more common.

I have been able to reach VERY respectable velocities, but NOT using the same powders I do with my other 10MM's.

Some even moderate loadings have proven unsafe in the MECH TECH. Its barrel offers adiquite support, but it being blow back, it can begin to cycle as enough pressure remains to badly bulge the case.

CW

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
CW, great photos. Yep, that brass is being taxed a wee bit too much!!

By the way, I'd love to get one of those Mech Tech 10mm conversions.

Reactions: Cwlongshot

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Gun Firearm Trigger Rifle Air gun
Firearm Gun Trigger Rifle Airsoft
Brass Ammunition Metal Bullet Copper
Sign Signage Traffic sign
I am the OP on this thread. Thanks to all of you for your helpful input on Blue Dot with 10mm. As a result of that, have decided to pull the ones I loaded with 11.0 gr. of Blue Dot. That was neither necessary nor safe.

I have here a couple of pics of my Mech Tech carbine with Glock 20 frame attached and Weaver 2-7 40/44 scope. It shot perfectly with no hickups whatsoever. I am very pleased with it. It is a quality “gun.”

The target is of my testing of loads from 25 yds. Temp, 78, no wind, from a rest. From left to right, the far left is 9.8 gr. Blue Dot, middle is 10.0 gr. and far right is 10.3 gr. It looks like the 10.3 load shot the tightest group, though all good. The bottom target is with 180 gr. 10mm Armscor ammunition. They felt lighter (even than the 9.8 Blue Dot) and really seemed to shoot the tightest group. Maybe I need to go a step lighter on the Blue Dot. I have yet to try any of these with my Glock 20 pistol.

The ejected brass seems perfect. No bulging, smiles, or pressure signs. The impact on the primer is right in the middle. The case mouth is a little deformed, but just a little. No big deal.

I am going to load up some Power Pistol, which is a slower pistol powder which I like very much. I will see how that goes and perhaps post a picture of that venture.

All the Best. Joe

·
Registered
38,984 Posts
Generally reducing BD charge wts hurts accuracy,the powder needs a certain level of pressure for uniform combustion.

Reactions: Cwlongshot
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.