Home > Political & Other Important Issues > Political Issues > Matt Taibbi: The American Press is destroying Itself.

Matt Taibbi: The American Press is destroying Itself.

1. https://taibbi.substack.com/p/the-n...mpaign=post&utm_medium=web&utm_source=twitter

Probably the most disturbing story involved Intercept writer Lee Fang, one of a fast-shrinking number of young reporters actually skilled in investigative journalism. Fang’s work in the area of campaign finance especially has led to concrete impact, including a record fine to a conservative Super PAC: few young reporters have done more to combat corruption.

Yet Fang found himself denounced online as a racist, then hauled before H.R. His crime? During protests, he tweeted this interview with an African-American man named Maximum Fr, who described having two cousins murdered in the East Oakland neighborhood where he grew up. Saying his aunt is still not over those killings, Max asked:

I always question, why does a Black life matter only when a white man takes it?... Like, if a white man takes my life tonight, it’s going to be national news, but if a Black man takes my life, it might not even be spoken of… It’s stuff just like that that I just want in the mix.

Shortly after, a co-worker of Fang’s, Akela Lacy, wrote, “Tired of being made to deal continually with my co-worker @lhfang continuing to push black on black crime narratives after being repeatedly asked not to. This isn’t about me and him, it’s about institutional racism and using free speech to couch anti-blackness. I am so ****ing tired.” She followed with, “Stop being racist Lee.”

The tweet received tens of thousands of likes and responses along the lines of, “Lee Fang has been like this for years, but the current moment only makes his anti-Blackness more glaring,” and “Lee Fang spouting racist bull**** it must be a day ending in day.” A significant number of Fang’s co-workers, nearly all white, as well as reporters from other major news organizations like the New York Times and MSNBC and political activists (one former Elizabeth Warren staffer tweeted, “Get him!”), issued likes and messages of support for the notion that Fang was a racist. Though he had support within the organization, no one among his co-workers was willing to say anything in his defense publicly.

2. I read this yesterday. It's very informative really. The author is a hard core liberal but is scathing in his critique of the left, particularly the liberal media.

Well worth taking a few minutes to read.

3. See? One side doesn't want to be rational and critical and honest. They just don't want to be. The few like them that do, are denounced as "anti" something.

One side feels like it has been completely subjugated and their situation has gotten only worse, not better, over time. Now I guess they feel (being driven by the MSM and the LW Liberal Dems, but I repeat myself) they need to subjugate their so-called oppressors.

Two wrongs don't make a right. Inequality does not equal inequity.

Where we are hurtling toward makes me sad.

4. If they won't discuss the truth, they really have no concern over solving real problems. It's just the political left exploiting black people.

5. Black Americans had the perfect person to speak about black on black murder , with 8 years of Obama . Yet he did nothing .

I consider this his biggest failure as President and he had many .

6. The author lost me at "Our president, Donald Trump, is a clown..."

7. Shortly after, a co-worker of Fang’s, Akela Lacy, wrote, “Tired of being made to deal continually with my co-worker @lhfang continuing to push black on black crime narratives after being repeatedly asked not to. This isn’t about me and him, it’s about institutional racism and using free speech to couch anti-blackness. Iam so ****ing tired.” She followed with, “Stop being racist Lee.”

So this is an admission of what we all know, that the media pushes one narrative while squelching another. It was never about informing people.

8. Not only that, but he seemed to further it when possible.

9. The beauty of our system is that people can hold differing opinions, and a part of the problem that he addresses in the article is that the concept of free thought, free speech, and differing ideas has been tossed out the window.

I certainly don't agree with his assessment of DJT, but he has the right to hold that opinion.

10. Probably a white coworker dropped dime on him.

11. merely pointing out that if a guy wants someone to understand a particular pov, it's probably best not to insult half the people that might read what he is trying to explain.