Math assignment. Is the student wrong?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Batesmotel, Dec 4, 2019.

1. nam02G

nam02G First throwing ax bullseye.

I would agree with this, not knowing anything more than was stated in the OP. If the evaporation rate wasn't given then it shouldn't be considered. If he showed some math then maybe partial credit. There is also the possibility that the kid in question couldn't figure out the assignment as given. So he just threw in the comment about the evaporation as a way to avoid doing it.

2. Gino

Gino Millennium Member

As a former science teacher, I'd give the kid a chance to rework the problem and show me that he knows how to do it. Being a teacher, you have to walk a tightrope of teaching 30 different personalities a bunch of objectives. You don't want to discourage independent thinking, but you also have curriculum to cover. A lot depends on if the child was trying to be a jerk or not. Bad that the parent is promoting fighting the system when they don't need to, for something so trivial. A squeaky wheel doesn't get the grease, it stops all the other wheels from turning.

Many of you are championing the kid thinking outside the box. The problem is, we have to all work together or the system can't work. Sometimes these kids are so disruptive that they break the system.

durwood likes this.

3. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd

23-hilarious-homework-answers.jpg So does this answer get credit?
    How bout this?
    funny-test-answers-smartass-kids-coverimage.jpg

mj9mm and pAZ Ron like this.
  4. Naelbis

Naelbis

When I was in high school (way back when), I wrote an essay for the trail run of the VA SOL tests where I argued that public school isn't really about education. I instead argued that public school is about teaching conformity to authority figures and ensuring everyone maintains the status quo. I passed....but apparently the test administrators were pretty angry.

Just looking at the responses to this thread it is apparent that plenty of people still follow the mindset of "just go along" and despise the kids who were eager to learn or challenged the teacher to do more than require rote regurgitation of material.

motorcycleman and sas-G19 like this.
  5. Ted Smith

Ted Smith

Most likely answer right here. I learned very early in my (second) career as a sixth grade math teacher not to assign projects my kids could take home and work. It's hard to have a consistent grading standard when you compare a project done by an 11 old to one done by a 38 year old.

mj9mm, motorcycleman and durwood like this.
  6. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

The kid has a hard life ahead of him. There was a time that would be viewed as good, thorough thought-process. Now, it's jump, but only when told to.

Reading this thread brought up two examples.

The first, in the police academy. Toward the end of the program, there was a three question test. You have to get all three correct, to graduate. It was a formality and most of the instructors were in the room. The first question was, "Self defense is the defense of yourself and/or others." True or False. Of course, this is false. However, I had been through enough of their BS tests to know the words in the questions don't actually hold their meanings. I put "True" and an asterisk. When everyone handed their papers in, the administrator asked me why mine had an asterisk. I told her I put "True" because I figured the question was worded poorly and I knew what she meant to say, not what the words meant. She told me she didn't understand. I explained that "self-defense" is not the defense of others, it is only the defense of one's self. Simple "defense" is what the statement should have said, to be "True". One of the instructors started laughing. The others looked bewildered. Most of my class was pissed as they had put "True" and now realized they were incorrect. The few who had marked "False" were glad to jump behind me, as of course, that is why they all marked it that way. The administrator got mad and said we all should have known what she meant. I hated the tests at the police academy. I knew the information, but the administrators didn't abide by any dictionary or statutorial uses of words.

The second example was last week. I live with a fifth grade girl. No, it's not fun. She came home telling me how landfills were bad and we had to stop using them. I asked her what alternative she was promoting. She had no idea. Eventually, she came up with recycling (locally we have easy access to recycle paper and plastic goods). When I told her she could change her lifestyle and stop buying all the cheap, throw-away things, she became significantly less interested.

mj9mm and motorcycleman like this.
  7. cougar_ml

cougar_ml

I'd love to see all the information given for the original assignment.

That being said, I had a college project one time that was to write out a project proposal to justify borrowing money to build a solar array to power your house.
    Given all the information I could find, my end results were that at current pricing, technology, degradation of panel output, and local weather conditions, I could not justify it as the savings from the electrical didn't cover the initial investment by the time everything needed replaced.
    Still got an A on the assignment, my teacher wasn't a jerk.

mj9mm, motorcycleman and larry_minn like this.
  8. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

I assume if the student had answered “neglecting evaporation rate and average rain fall the answer is xxxx based on the river flow rate and lake capacity”, he would have gotten an A+. Some times trying to act smart gets you an F instead of an A. Welcome to the real world.

And my answer is in no way an endorsement of the failed public educational system administered by morons and taught by idiots.

motorcycleman likes this.
  9. Jonesee

Jonesee

Let's see the actual questions posed to the students. Using the data provided, you will be able to determine the correct answer within the limits of the question.

It reminds of some GT arguments.
    There are those that will take a scenario and twist it and add so many exogenous factors to mold it or beat it into submission to prove their point.

Members here are notorious for "what-iffing" and "yeah-butting" a situation to fit their desired outcome.

10. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Was that within last decade? That's the kind of info I want. Last I got in my area they anticipated I would get paid. @$600 more over 10 yrs then my $10k investment. I said "that's a lousy return"
    Then I started asking for actual value of energy from that "farm"
    Same for wind. I get lots of " future estimates". But there are @50 turbines within 20 miles of me. Been there for yrs. I would like cost from start till producing power,maintenance cost first 5 yrs, value of power sold first 5 yrs, estimate of major repairs, timeframe, estimate costs...

I understand the power head needs rebuild @15 yrs. (I hear from 10 yrs to never needing serious rebuild). Same for blades. I hear yearly cleaning, inspection, replacement anticipated @15 yrs to 50 yr life.
    I want to get into wind, solar, hydro (not located in place hydro is to be consudered). But can never get REAL data. (From anyplace remotely similar)

motorcycleman and railfancwb like this.
  11. jmohme

jmohme

And sometimes the system breaks on its own and fails us. In those times, thinking outside the box is how we survive.

On that note, any young person that graduates high school without the ability to look beyond a strict set of tolerances and improvise as needed, has been failed by the very system that was supposed to prepare him or her for the real world.

12. railfancwb

railfancwb

Real data would muddy the waters.

I recall when we visited Hawaii years ago and drove around the west side of the island to see the active volcano we went past an abandoned wind farm. A place with almost constant wind adequate for a wind farm and they couldn’t justify keeping it in service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. railfancwb

railfancwb

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmohme likes this.
  14. cougar_ml

cougar_ml

It was 6 or 7 years ago I think, part of a power plant operations class I was taking at community college along with my heavy diesel.

I know people that are making it work within 30 or so miles of me, but I've only talked to one or two. I'm in a valley in the hills, so the weather here is actually worse than the nearest place I could get records for looking at the number of overcast, cloudy, clear days and other data. You should be able to find that type of information online for your area.

The majority of solar around here is off grid. Not because it was their first choice, but because the utility companies would charge them $50-80k or more to hook them up to the grid. For prices like that I'd spend the $40-50k fpr a large solar array, lithium batteries, and all the accessories also, and not have to pay a power bill.

15. cyberghostx13

cyberghostx13 USMC "The Few The Proud"

Well I like numbers, but I sure ain't no math whiz. I do side with the kid tho given the limited info provided. The kid wasn't just being a droid but thinking outside the box and I like that. The teacher at bare minimum should have respected that, and if he failed the kid he should have provided proof that the kid was wrong. Just my humble opinion. Later.

16. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Kinda hijacking thread. Opps. I just think the info would be available. In a easy to view form. But I can't find it. (Ok haven't looked in a yr, but have asked at a booth selling solar, who promised to email me info, links)
    Yrs back I found out a city was getting paid NOT to utilize hydroelectric from existing dam. The other cities also were not to use river. We're paid by power company NOT to produce power, even research it..
    Solar @10 hrs a day average, wind @20hrs a day average. (Heard this yrs ago, amount of time sun, wind is witching useable parameters, I might be misremembering numbers)
    The thing is hydro. From a damned up lake, plenty flow... Is 24/7/365.25....
    Even in MN those falls run all yr.

17. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

Well, unless the problem were stated (by the instructor) to neglect/ignore other factors (such as evaporation rate, etc.) the kid is correct. The surface area of the "body of water", ambient temperature and relative humidity could be such that the body of water would not fill.

The real answer is, like most "real world" technical problems, is "it depends". It depends upon many/several factors - and a percentage of those factors are certainly variable and unpredictable.

When I took the state board examination for professional engineering, I had a problem that required a "yes" or "no" answer; to which I answered both "yes" and "no". A particular switchgear was designed for use in Europe (ie a 50 Hz system). The question was if the SG could be used in the US (ie on a 60 Hz system) and still meet the "electrical requirements" (voltage stability/drop, current carrying and switching). The point of the problem was to see if the applicant could convert per unit impedance from one frequency to another - and apply the "new" per unit values.

I ran though the calculations to show that "electrically" the SG would "work" (so, "yes"). However, I explained that the IEC (European) specifications for SG were different than the UL specifications, so a SG manufactured under IEC specifications would not necessarily, and most likely not, meet UL specifications. And if the end user wanted to pass electrical inspection and get fire insurance - the answer would be "no" (without ever performing a single calculation). So "no" was the actual answer for "real world" application. However, the board test was not looking for a "real world" answer - they were looking for an "academic answer".

18. DonMerlin

DonMerlin

I keep flashing back to thread about a plane taking off from a treadmill. Why is that?

19. NMG26

NMG26

The kid's dad should get failed, the kid used his theory without backing up his work. C for the kid

20. Hannie Caulder

Hannie Caulder Diva extraordinaire

Wouldn't the weather affect the evaporation rate? My pool goes down more when it is sunny.