Match stance

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by bam1131, Apr 21, 2012.

1. bam1131

bam1131

What is the most common stance style at the match? Isosceles? or weaver?

I normally shoot weaver at the range, but this is my first match and I assume isosceles would be more accurate moving from target to target.

Give me some suggestions

2. OrGlocker

OrGlocker

My advise would be to practice and see which one you are most comfortable with, for me it's Isosceles.

3. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Here is an example of perfect grip/stance/posture, displayed by GSSF Master Wei Young.

Attached Files:

4. SARDG

SARDG Florida's Left Coast

The isosceles is the most consistently repeatable stance and appears to be on the rise in use. Major successful competitive shooters use it. Police use it in their recent training because it presents their body armor trauma plate to the bad guy, rather than the side of their body where Kevlar is frequently lacking. That being said, plenty of LEOs still use the Weaver or Modified Weaver.

"Modified" is the key word. There are so many ways to set up a Weaver stance, that those not used to using it or a particular modification of it, do not repeat the same Weaver stance from range trip to range trip. I prefer teaching the isosceles to beginners in NRA classes - though not every NRA instructor would agree with that either.

I RO lots of different disciplines (including GSSF) and see a lot of variations on the Weaver theme, and one basic isosceles. That’s because the isosceles is easily repeatable.

I see Weaver shooters far faster than me in all disciplines and I use isosceles. I'm not certain about target transition being quicker with isosceles. I would say, in general, to work for fast transitions, and controlled splits. More than anything, and independent of stance, I see shooters taking their good ol' time getting up and on their first target (which will take a bit more time), and then taking their time to get to successive targets as they transition through the array. Transitions are no time to tarry, but controlled (accurate) splits may require a shooter to slow down - and that's the key to GSSF, IMHO. Speaking of transitions, it is generally considered a waste of time to intentionally pass a target, and then come back to it to hit it. In other words, if you are sweeping past a target (steel or paper) - shoot it while you're passing by. YMMV

Now, if you want to talk grip, I can do about 30 minutes on that and the poor ones I see at GSSF.

(okay... I put all my alphabet soup disclaimers in here, so...)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  5. SARDG

SARDG Florida's Left Coast

Yeah, I like that on a couple of different counts... she has an aggressive stance and is NOT leaning backwards - a common problem with newish shooters; and the sight line from her eyes across the sights and to the targets is clearly visible.

I want to be a Master when I grow up...

6. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Isoceles is the most common amongst top shooters.
    But if you've never practiced it.... I wouldn't change for a (soon) upcoming match. Go with what you most feel comfortable *now*.

If you want to change to Isoceles, do it when you have weeks/months before a match that matters.

7. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Private side

I told you...YOU GOTTA EAT YOUR GREENS.:tongueout:

8. ede

ede

I want to be like BamaTrooper when I grow up.

9. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Private side

A man has to set goals :tongueout:

10. njl

njl Crusty Member

Reminds me of my favorite quote from ROing the 2012 Orlando match. A new shooter was about to start a 5tG stage, and I asked "Is that how you're going to hold it?" She had her hands way down low on the grip...pretty much the opposite of what you want from a good shooting grip. I suggested she move her hands up the grip...and she did.