Match grade barrel in a Glock...

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by MacG22, Mar 24, 2010.

1. MacG22

MacG22 CLM

A few quesitons... I'm going to be shooting a lot more reloads/lead this summer than usual. And I've heard it recommended that I replace my stock barrel with a match grade barrel. I've never swapped in a glock (G19) and I know all platforms respond a little differently to barrel inserts. So here are my questions:

1. What does a match grade barrel add to the glock other than better reload shooting? Does it noticeably improve mechanical accuracy?

2. What does a match grade barrel take away from the stock g19? Is it less reliable? Will it really just "plug and play" with no reliability issues?

3. Based upon the benefits/costs, is Lone Wolf good enough, or if I'm going to do it anyway is it worth the extra $70 to go KKM?

Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  2. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

Yes.....and no.

The only good way to answer your questions is to try one, the barrel may or may not be more accurate or less reliable, it may need a little fitting, but it might not.

Sometimes the chamber of the new barrel might be a little tight and cases of reloaded rounds may not get resized quite enough to go all the way into the chamber reliably.....depending on your reloading dies.

It will make it easier to shoot lead bullets, and you can put the factory barrel back in it for serious purposes.

If you want to shoot lead bullets, it's a good idea.

3. JBP55

JBP55

Lone Wolf is the best bang for the buck, but if I was going to spend more I would buy the KKM barrel. I have used several of both in Glocks.

4. MacG22

MacG22 CLM

What would I get from a KKM that I would not get form the Lone Wolf (other than the billboard?) Would I get any increase in mechanical accuracy, or durability of parts, etc? Thanks...

5. GOA Guy

GOA Guy

KKM and Bar-sto barrels are of very high quality. I cannot speak for the others. As with most things you generally get what you pay for. Barrels that need to be fitted (not drop in) will give the best accuracy but require the services of a smith that is familiar with Glocks. A drop in barrel is going to be less likely to give the very best accuracy.

6. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic Polymer Butcher CLM

The one KKM barrel I ever had gave me issues. NONE of the lone wolff barrels I've had have EVER given me a problem. The KKM did not do anything my LW barrels didn't except jam, lol.

YMMV

7. ambluemax

ambluemax

*I have no expirence with aftermarket glock barrels yet*

But:

The only way you will increase accuracy in a pistol it to tighten up the tolerances of the slide around the barrel when it is in battery. The tighter it locks up, the more consistant (ie accurate) the system will be. That's why fine 1911's are built so tight. So as a general rule, a hand fitted barrel will be more accurate than a drop in. The trade off would probably be an increased importance of lubrication and you might not be able to chuck your gun in the mud, then cover it in dust and empty a mag- glocks do this because of loose tolerances...which can be the enemy of accuracy. If you can just drop in a barrel, odds are any gains in accuracy are marginal.

Tighter chambers in a match barrel will mean your brass will expand less meaning it will last longer.

The reason non glock barrels are recomended for cast lead bullet shooting is because most match grade barrels use standad rifling instead of poligonal (glock). Poligonal rifling is less tolerant of leading and can lead to unsafe pressure levels.

8. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

I've had KKM, EFK, Storm Lake and Lone Wolf barrels.
    All were flawless in operation for me, however, the finish machine work on the Lone Wolf barrel was not up to speed with the others.

I recently got a Lone Wolf barrel for a G20. The machine work on this one is equal to the others.

So,........if you have the extra money, get the KKM, but, I'm sure the LWD will be just fine.

9. CynicX

CynicX

Generally the tighter the barrel and slide tolerance are the more consistent the gun will shoot (ie accuracy) like mentioned. But the less reliable it can be esp if not kept very clean.

The stock barrel is the very good compromise of accuracy and reliability.

On top of all that it takes a very good marksman to show the differences between a good barrel and a great barrel. Since you have to ask I think you'll be fine with the Lone Wolf, but if you have the money and dont mind spending it you may want to go with something a little better, totally up to you.

As far as dropping it in, usually works but thats not 100% so it make require a gunsmith. Thats not a bad thing either...