masts and towers

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ric0123, Aug 3, 2007.

1. ric0123

ric0123

Hello everyone. First post in the Ham section, but I got a problem I need some input on.

I am looking for a telescopic antenna mast, much like Radioshack used to sell. I believe something similar is the Rohn H40, or Channel Master. (who originally made them) 35ft range

Here is the kicker. I want to put this thing on a 4x4 trailer and I don't want to have any guy wires coming off it. I emailed a company that deals in towers and masts and such and he said no way. Even if I had guy wires from the top to the corners of the trailer, they wouldn't be far enough away to do anything.

I have looked at self supporting towers, but they require a square yard of footing, and I don't want a 4,000 lb trailer for a 30 foot mast.

So, questions

1. Any suggestions for a mast in the 30-40 foot range that can self support? The load on the top is a tiny omni, basicaly a piece of PVC

2. What is the formula for the spacing of guy wires if I decide to use them? I was thinking about having 'outriggers' coming off my trailer to have a better angle on the guy wires, how far out can I go?

3. Does anyone make custom masts? Texas Tower sells tube aluminum, which is AWESOME but the prices are a bit high, and aluminum isn't going to support these lengths.

I have also looked at fiberglass, the jackite poles, but they don't get that tall.

Amusingly enough, there is a company called constructioncam that is doing something very similar to what I want. They have a trailer with a freestanding mast. I have see it close up. It is 30 something feet high, and is made out of some sort of box metal, around 6 inches at the base. It almost looks like channel steel, the kind that you use on high ceilings to support pipe and such. It is the right idea for what I want.

2. Texas T

Texas T TX expatriate CLM

3. ryanm

ryanm

I'll try to find some pictures of our tower trailers from field day.
    I've got one of them in my backyard right now cranked up to about 60ft so I can get internet access. Yay.

RM
    N5QZ

4. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

5. ric0123

ric0123

I actually have one of those fiberglass poles MJR and am pretty disappointed with it. Only about 2/3s are usable. The antenna I want to use is small, but still has weight. The fiberglass pole won't support anything bigger than a piece of wire at the top side, and the friction joints don't hold worth a darn. I looked at the Jacktite poles and they seem to be about the same.

Universal Towers makes a 30 foot aluminum tower that weights less than 40 pounds, that people seem to be mounting on 4x8 utility trailers with outriggers... like the first link posted. That is WAY sexy and I have been doing more research into it.

Thanks for the links everyone

6. G23Adam

G23Adam .- -.. .- --

I have an alumiumn flag pole I got off Ebay for $100. It's 25' and works very well.

I use it for my VHF antenna and a Lakeview Hamstick Dipole works just fine (this is 2 whatever band hamsticks with their dipole adapter.)

7. R. Emmelman

R. Emmelman Guest

I have 21' of fence top rail I use for my VHF/UHF/TV antennas. Works real well and does not rust.