Mastering the art of holding steady

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by decibels5, Feb 1, 2010.

1. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

2. 23skidoo

23skidoo Deceased

Don't jam the pinkie finger of your shooting hand onto the grip to make it fit with your other fingers between the bottom of the magazine and the trigger guard. That will cause you to shoot low. If you can't comfortably fit the pinkie on the grip let it hang below the magazine. You get most of your grip out of your index and middle fingers anyway.

3. lee2

lee2

try pulling the trigger at the bottom of an exhale, dont hold your breath when shooting.

4. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

A friend told me about practicing like this in the military. Somebody would load a mag in the gun without him being able to see. Sometimes it had a round in it, sometimes it did not. After he was handed the gun, an empty casing was placed on the slide.

My hands shake all the time, and always have, no matter what I am doing although it is more noticeable during things such as shooting.

5. vafish

vafish

6. Annoyedgrunt

Annoyedgrunt Not chillin’

My problem is that my hands shake a little after about 50 rounds or so. I do just fine when I first start, but as the round count goes up, so do the shakes- especially with .45's. I can shoot .22LR all day, steady as a rock, but anything bigger...

I think the problem is that I just don't shoot enough; I don't shoot enough to let my hands get "used to" the recoil. It can get embarrassing sometimes- it makes it look like you're scared of the gun! I'm sure if I shot a lot more, I would get used to the recoil better, but with ammo availability and pricing nowadays... I don't want to deplete my hoard too badly.

7. Arquebus12

Arquebus12 Non-broccophobe CLM

I'm the same way, I'm only good for about 50 rounds of full house magnum loads in my Model 29 Smith. That said, it also takes me about 6-12 rounds of firing to settle down.

The mind over matter analogy is in full effect here, however... you shake, but if you don't mind, it doesn't matter. Sight alignment and trigger control is all you have to master. The key is that there's nothing to overcome in marksmanship; it's all about mastery, not conquering anything. You develop a technique, and you continually refine it.

Easy.