Massively awful XP recovery... obscure issue, help requested

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by citizenguardian, Oct 10, 2005.

1. citizenguardian

citizenguardian

Hi all,

I had a bad XP crash over the weekend. D*mned operating system went down, and I could not reboot even to Safe Mode. The situation continues! The machine tells me that my c:\windows\system32\config\system file is missing or corrupted...

I have tried booting from MS Windows XP install disks. I can boot the CD, but the repair utility on the disk has not fixed the problem.

I have booted to command prompt, as well, and tried manually fixing c:\windows\system32\config\system, as well as c:\....\config\sam, \config\security, \config\default, and config\software, from the copies in the Windows\repair folder. This method is as per the MS Knowledge Base article on the 'config\system corrupted' error message. No dice.

Still, things are a *little* better than they were.

Afer the above steps, I *was* able to boot from the hard drive to the HP restore software (HP is the OEM) on a hidden partition on the hard drive (f(10) while booting begins). That I couldn't do before I used the XP disk and made the manual changes. The restore took place, but even after that I could not boot my machine to safe mode. I still get the '\config\system file is missing or corrupted' message.

I thought I would try the manual changes to \config\system, ...sam, ...security, ...software, and ...default one more time, now that I have done this HP system restore.

Now, something has changed.

At the command prompt, I attempt to copy these files to a temporary folder for backup, before replacing them with copies in \windows\repair. But the DOS shell tells me that these files can't be found! I know the files are there, though, because when I do a DIR command in \windows\system32\config I see them listed.

I was able copy, and delete, these files the previous time I did the manual repair of these files. Now, I can't.

So, what's going on? Any idea why I can see these files in the Recovery Console command prompt but cannot access them with the COPY command? Any thoughts on whether I'm close to the end, or is this another false-hope-raising, time-sink-creating development?

Any ideas are much appreciated. Thanks.

2. AZ-Boog

AZ-Boog

I am not a fan of those restore disc's. My only piece of advice is to call the vendor you got the system from and have them send you an XO OS disc and reformat and reload the OS and the device drivers yourself. It's really not that difficult.

3. sushi600

sushi600 What smells?

Very funny thing is that TWO PCs at the office had the same issue when I came in Monday morning.

The microsoft KBase article got me going enough to finish up the other stuff.

4. DonL

DonL

Try this at command prompt. Log in as Admin and type: %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
    May help.....

5. Lock316

Lock316

Agreed. I had to do that last month. While it was a litte time consuming, it took about 1 1/2 hours, it worked. I've had no problems since then.

6. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR

I'm going from memory here but I believe the recovery console lists all files regardless of whether they are hidden or not. It's possible that when you try to use the COPY command it can't see these files because they are hidden to that command. Try using the ATTRIB command first and make sure that all of the files that you need to copy aren't hidden.