close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mass cop from "beer summit" not allowed to speak at graduation

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by ronduke, Jan 26, 2010.

1. ronduke

ronduke

Cop in Gates incident won’t speak at police academy graduation

Posted Jan 22, 2010 @ 10:50 AM
    RANDOLPH — An invitation by police academy cadets to have the Cambridge police sergeant who sparked a national debate on race relations with his arrest of a prominent Harvard scholar speak at their graduation in Randolph was overruled by state officials.

Daniel Zivkovich, executive director of the Municipal Police Training Committee, said that officials felt that Sgt. James Crowley’s presence would become the focus of the ceremony, rather than the accomplishments of the cadets.

Crowley declined comment through a spokesman. His brother Daniel, a Middlesex deputy sheriff, said the 54 graduates of the Randolph Regional Police Training Academy last week asked that James Crowley speak at their April graduation.

James Crowley, who is white, arrested black scholar Henry Louis Gates Jr. in July.

President Obama hosted the two men at a “beer summit” at the White House in an effort to diffuse tensions surrounding the case.

The Patriot Ledger

(And if the police academy cadets had voted to have the Rev. Al or Jesse speak, do you think for a second that they would have been overruled?)
    http://www.patriotledger.com/news/s...dent-won-t-speak-at-police-academy-graduation

2. 4949shooter

4949shooter

What a bunch of BS.

The graduating class would be honored to have him speak.

3. Moonfish

Moonfish CLM

Let's see... the Municipal Police Training Committee is a State agency... it reports to Governor Deval Patrick...

Questions?

4. madcitycop

madcitycop

yup after all THEY asked HIM

5. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

This is sad. I hope the Officer realizes that the people who (really) matter asked him. That he takes it as a gesture of respect. The others jumped to conclusion even when facts clearly showed otherwise.

They should invite him "for a beer" after graduation. :) :)-

6. RemingtonBPD

RemingtonBPD

Gee think this has anything to do with those elected officials not wanting to upset the minority vote and help themselves out for the next election? Me thinks so. If I were those academy grads I would protest.

7. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

HUGE +1!

Heck, I'D drive to Mass. just to buy that Sgt. a drink!

8. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Ballsy move by Deval Patrick after Scott Brown pulled off the Boston Massacre of the Massachusetts Democratic machine with his huge landslide victory over Coakley.

This will not be unanswered by those who are paying attention.

9. CAcop

CAcop

No good deed goes unpunished.

10. A6Gator

A6Gator

patrick_laguer.jpg

Maybe Patrick is afraid Sgt Crowley would act "stupidly" again...

11. ronduke

ronduke

Gates case sergeant asked to speak at graduation
    But state officials overrule request by police cadets

The snub offended Crowley’s brother, Daniel, who said he was told that the class of 54 cadets from various municipal police departments voted for his brother to speak at their April 30 graduation from the Randolph Regional Police Training Academy, but was overruled.

“My brother is a consummate professional,’’ said Crowley, a Middlesex deputy sheriff. “If there’s going to be someone to speak to what can possibly happen in your career as a police officer, I cannot think of a better speaker.’’

James Crowley declined to comment through a spokesman.

In an e-mail to the Globe, Daniel Zivkovich, executive director of the Municipal Police Training Committee, said, “We believe that graduations are to highlight the hard work and accomplishments of the graduates and felt that, had Sergeant Crowley been the speaker, he would become the focus of the events, instead of the graduates. But if the cadets want Sergeant Crowley as their commencement speaker, we will honor their wish.’’

Zivkovich said in the e-mail that Crowley’s name had been raised as a potential speaker for the graduation ceremony, but the academy had not extended an invitation. He said officials routinely discuss suggested speakers, and “we have final approval.’’

Crowley’s brother said he was approached recently by one of the recruits, who told him the class had voted for his brother to be the graduation’s keynote speaker and asked whether he would relay the request to him.

“My brother said he was very honored to be asked and would be more than happy to oblige them,’’ Crowley said. But, last week, Crowley said, the recruit called and told him that state officials had advised the training academy director that Governor Deval Patrick had rejected Sergeant Crowley as a graduation speaker because he was too controversial.
    But Juan Martinez, Patrick’s spokesman, said the governor was not involved in the decision to reject Crowley as a potential graduation speaker. “The governor was not aware of the issue at all,’’ he said.

On July 16, Crowley, a white officer who trained recruits to avoid racial profiling, arrested Henry Louis Gates Jr., one of the nation’s top scholars on race relations, on a disorderly conduct charge after responding to a report of a possible burglary at the professor’s home in Cambridge. Gates, who had just arrived home from a trip abroad and had trouble getting into his house because the door was jammed, accused Crowley of racial profiling. The officer said Gates was belligerent, uncooperative, and initially refused to show identification. Prosecutors immediately dropped the charge against Gates.

The case created a national furor, which escalated when President Obama weighed in during a press conference, saying police had “acted stupidly.’’ The president later said he regretted his statement and last summer invited Crowley and Gates to the White House, where they shared beers and talked. In October, Crowley and Gates, who had promised to keep talking, met at a pub in Cambridge.

Daniel Crowley noted that just last week, his brother and Gates were honored by a student group at Lincoln-Sudbury High School with the 23d annual Martin Luther King Action Award for demonstrating a commitment to the ideals expressed by King, and in particular for their work on race relations before and after the confrontation last summer.

“I just think that they [state officials] were rash in their decision not to allow my brother to speak at graduation,’’ Crowley said. “I don’t think there’s a better person in law enforcement to address a group of new police officers, given everything he went through last summer.’’

Officer Stephen Killion, president of the Cambridge Police Patrol Officers Association, described Crowley as a fair and well-respected member of law enforcement.

“He is not as controversial as someone is making him out to be,’’ Killion said. “I think he would be a great speaker . . . to tell those recruits coming out on the street what to look out for.’’
    http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...s_case_sergeant_asked_to_speak_at_graduation/

12. Faulkner

Faulkner Patriot Millennium Member

Double standard . . . I bet Professor Gates would scream like a wounded banshee if he were to be rejected at a speaking engagement.

13. A6Gator

A6Gator

To call Patrick a ******bag is to discredit a lot of ******bags that I know...:supergrin:

So who's lying? I'm thinking it probably wasn't the recruit...

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  14. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

The recruits and the academy officials would be acting STUPIDLY if that happened.

On the plus side, they would all get a beer with the Pretender-in-Chief.

15. ronduke

ronduke

( I don't see any cops being invited.)
    Henry Louis "Skip" Gates Jr., made famous last summer by his Cambridge police dustup, has a new documentary miniseries on PBS, "Faces of America." The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports it's a follow-up to an earlier series in which he profiles prominent black Americans:

Mr. Gates expands his panel of celebrities, looking at the histories of a group of Americans with diverse backgrounds. . . .
    "I call it the Noah's Ark approach," Dr. Gates said. . . . "So, like Noah, I wanted two Muslims, two Jews, two Asians," he said. "Yo-Yo Ma is a friend of mine, so I thought it would be intriguing to do him. I had always admired [figure skater Kristi Yamaguchi], and I thought it would be a great way to do it, to meet her. . . . We had one person, Tony Shalhoub had said yes. He was my other Arab person, and then his shooting schedule [conflicted]. He had to cancel it. So then, I asked Mehmet Oz, and he agreed right away."

16. Lotiki

Lotiki All that is man

Honored?

The cop and the professor are both nobodies who became famous because the media started screaming "racist" about what was already a questionable arrest. It got so ridiculous and blown out of proportion that the friggin President of the friggin United States of America had them over to smooth things out over a brew.

Whats honorable about that?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  17. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

I wonder if Yo Yo Ma knows Skippy Gate's intentions to turn him into a FWB?:whistling:

18. RemingtonBPD

RemingtonBPD

What honorable about that? It's honorable that they want someone who was involved in an incident that shed light on the discord between people (I won't use race as part of this because it should not be the entire focus), and was willing to talk about the mistakes he may have made handling the incident. Why wouldn't you want someone like that to discuss a scenario that may not be all that uncommon to young officers entering this career for the first time. I don't think that the meeting with Obama should have any bearing on why he could have spoke at the graduation, it was the incident. Are you in Law Enforcement? If so would you say to his face that he dishonored the profession?

19. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

What I take away from the invite is that the cadets were impressed that the officer handled the accusations so well. Trust me, I get called a racist every time I put the grabs on somebody, to the point that it doesn't even phase me anymore. However, when the President jumps the gun, publicly calling your actions (and by extension, you) stupid before knowing both sides of the story, I wouldn't blame the Sgt for being miffed and making public statements torching both the professor as well as the President.

The fact that this Sgt was able to restrain himself and even attend the BS "beer summit" shows incredible character and moral fortitude, and is indeed an honorable act.

Those are just my feelings on the subject, tho. YMMV

20. AngryBassets

AngryBassets Jagenden Übel

They could have shoved that beer summit up their racists asses.

That whole incident INCENSED me.