masks

Discussion in 'Covid-19 News/Info' started by manfred the wonder d, May 27, 2020.

1. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

You don’t wear a mask to protect yourself (unless it’s N95-style or better), you wear it to keep your spit off other people, as a courtesy, and because it’s better if we all keep our spit to ourselves for a while.

Don’t worry, you’ll have plenty of opportunity to spread your body fluids around on others in the future. Maybe just take a lil break for a while now? It’s ok, it doesn’t hurt.

2. ScottMn

ScottMn

I won't wear one unless it's required by a private business to enter.

The reason? Because I'm a big boy and can make my own decisions. If you feel that unsafe around someone without a mask avoid them. It only takes 6 feet.

The mask is turning into a virtue signal. I'll have none of it.

NJ1911, tlnargi, JohnH and 1 other person like this.

3. canis latrans

canis latrans

yeah, Deanster...it doesn't take a genius to know they LIED to protect themselves. without any compunction about it.

how many "civilian" lives did THAT lie cost?

Filthy Bastards!

don't expect me to believe they have our best interests at heart.

Pierre!, nursetim and Deanster like this.
  4. 1187mg

1187mg

Mask at the beginning would have made sense. 8 weeks in absolutely none to me. Especially since they collapsed all the shoppers to swell Mart in my area to 12 hours instead of 24 with no MASK.

No worked were hospitalized in none of my local retail stores either. That stuff should have went through Lowe's like crazy as crowed as it was with no mask.

My grandmother's sister told me her Mom told her that during the Spanish flu it went through rural communities like crazy with out people congragatiting in a store with no mask. Didn't do that here. Sometimes you do have to believe what you see. Especially if it's not on the interwebs or TV.

NJ1911 and JimWillson like this.
  5. Deanster

It cracks me up that people don’t realize that calling things virtue signaling is an attempt to virtue signal themselves.

SevenSixtyTwo and czsmithGT like this.
  6. Dave514

Dave514

Mask requests are the epitome of oppression. Our outrage is understandable.

A Minneapolis cop's knee on your neck so hard that you die is just life, man.

7. Deanster

100% agreed. I’m always amazed here at people who think that EITHER party, ANY politician, or ANY corporation is on their side.

I’d love to be able to trust the CDC or our local public health department, but from Trump on down, they’re all trying to manage our behavior for their benefit, not our own.

I believe in science, observable facts, and data-driven decision making. I despise attempts to manage my behavior just to make a point.

Unfortunately, this often leads me into viewpoints that are balanced, nuanced, and variable by situation, like ‘100% masks in crowded indoors areas or very busy outdoor areas, but otherwise not needed’, which manages to piss off both the NeverMaskers and the AlwaysMaskers.

This is usually how I decide I’ve hit just about the right point.

SevenSixtyTwo and Mr Meeseeks like this.
  8. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

They did, but the man didn't want a run on them.

9. Deanster

Silly thing to claim.

Everyone knows you can never find an employee at Lowes. ;)

1bigK and 1187mg like this.
  10. JimWillson

JimWillson Victim of public education

To all you skeptics out there, recent studies show wearing a mask can reduce the risk of a Karen attack by 80%.

akpls, nursetim, 1bigK and 1 other person like this.
  11. canis latrans

canis latrans

I hear you Deanster, but I'll generally take ANY chance I can to flip off The Man (regardless of whether it's .gov or .com).

I do what I feel is right for the circumstances, tempered by my mood at the time.

I have worn The Mask. In fact, I bought a Plague Doctor mask specifically for this edict.

DAKA and Deanster like this.
  12. DAKA

DAKA

You don't wear a seatbelt, fine when you get thrown out of the car in an accident or vaulted through a windshield...its your life, but I don't want to breathe your smoke or your tainted spittle.

13. Longbow

Longbow Millennium Member

I think the real reason why they made that pronouncement is to prevent people from hoarding/panic buying of masks. It is well known that China re-bought and hoarded the masks they sold all over the world for future profit and for political gain. WHO and CDC was trying to prevent further shortage and save the masks for front liners.

I was very skeptical when those agencies told us that wearing a mask was not necessary. The virus devastates the lungs. The easiest way to get to the lungs is through breathing. And yet, wearing mask does not help? I wear mask from the beginning.

14. canis latrans

canis latrans

they lied to protect their OWN ass....you and me? we don't need no stinking mask!

BobbyS and Deanster like this.
  15. Deanster

Believe me, I’m right with ya on this.

But not quite enough to invite strangers to spread their various body gravys in my face without a barrier when the potential consequences are serious. Worth noting that I live in Seattle, which still has a fair bit of Covid running around, a couple hundred new cases a day. I’d probably take a different approach if I lived in a county with one new case a week.

And a Plague Doctor mask probably does a FINE job of keeping your fluids to yourself! ;)

16. GlockerBill

GlockerBill

please prove that statement

17. canis latrans

canis latrans

that's a side benefit. the REAL benefit is the mockery.

and (don't take this personally)….if you're afraid to go out, then stay IN. I think it's the HEIGHT of arrogance to demand that everyone ELSE wear a mask, just so YOU can feel "safe" wherever you decide you want to be.

kinda like acquiescing to a 10 round limit because that makes an anti "feel better".

18. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

some might say that putting on a mask, taking it off, putting it down, picking it back up, putting it back on, adjusting it, palming the filter media, touching the outer seam of the mask, pulling it, pushing it , taking it off again, brushing it past your lips, accidentally brush your eye lids, adjust it again, touching the seam or media that you have touched dozens of times already touched dozens of times throughout the day, or day(s) of using the mask, brushing the seam against your nostrils, eyelids and lips over and over, is a good way to contaminate yourself.

I dont give a flip about signaling to other people that I CARE. I do care about my fellow man and I will care privately, I dont need to display it for mass approval. I care about all sorts of things and have never worn symbols, ribbons, colors or banners. If someone wants to know what I care about, they can get to know me. Otherwise its none of their business unless I elect to put it out there for public consumption.

Speaking only for myself, I will obey LAW regarding covid precautions which includes my Governors proclamations. When left to my own discretion, I will wear a mask, gloves or perhaps both if entering what I consider to be an acute setting. If wearing PPE, I will leave it alone( taking care not to fiddle with it) - ( taking care not to cross contaminate material, objects, equipment or workspaces) and immediately remove/ dispose of them asap or upon my departure from the acute space. I will wash my hands regulary, limit the surface contacts and maintain distance from other people as reasonably practicable. That said, I have not worn a mask in public to run my errands. I have worn gloves a couple of times at the busy gas station and remove them before I re-enter my vehicle. If you see me in the grocery store, I will not likely be wearing any ppe. I had a box of 20 n95 masks but donated them to my local PD.

Last edited: May 27, 2020
    Deanster likes this.
  19. Deanster

That’s an easy one. The infamous choir rehearsal right before shutdown here where nearly half the choir came down with Covid and several died wouldn’t have been lethal if they’d all been wearing masks.

Keep your spit and snot to yourself to keep others safe.

Either a barrier (mask), distance, or keeping your mouth and nose shut when in close proximity or uncirculating (indoor) air are the only options.

Since none of us can guarantee that we won’t release particles when we talk, or that we won’t sneeze or cough, distance, barriers and moving air are our only options to keep our body fluids off others.

20. Deanster

I don’t take it personally, I just note that some people are so eager to spread their body fluids on others that even the most minor inconvenience to keep their spit to themselves appears to be some kind of challenge to their masculinity. ;)

DAKA and SevenSixtyTwo like this.