Masks: new research shows that the risk of infection to the wearer is decreased by 65%

Discussion in 'Covid-19 News/Info' started by JohnBT, Jul 9, 2020.

1. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Benefactor

https://health.ucdavis.edu/health-n...s-and-social-distancing-slow-covid-19/2020/07

"Along with preventing someone from transmitting the coronavirus, a range of new research shows that the risk of infection to the wearer is decreased by 65%, said Dean Blumberg, chief of pediatric infectious diseases at UC Davis Children’s Hospital.

“On the issue of masks, I’d like to restart because we’ve learned a lot,” Blumberg said. “We’ve learned more due to research and additional scientific evidence. What we know now is that masks work and are very important.”"

"“Everyone should wear a mask,” Blumberg said. “People who say ‘I don’t believe masks work’ are ignoring scientific evidence. It’s not a belief system. It’s like saying, ‘I don’t believe in gravity.’

“People who don’t wear a mask increase the risk of transmission to everyone, not just the people they come into contact with,” he said. “It’s all the people those people will have contact with. You’re being an irresponsible member of the community if you’re not wearing a mask. It’s like double dipping in the guacamole. You’re not being nice to others.”"

2. APERS

APERS

Uh-huh. Control is a powerful drug.

3. thespork

thespork

So is denial...

4. slym2none

slym2none

Come August, it will once again be a misdemeanor in the county I live in to wear a mask in public, on private property if not given permission by the owner, or on gov't property.

I find this all amusing.

UncleDave, Chui, GlockPride and 2 others like this.
  5. tommyd78

tommyd78

6. tommyd78

tommyd78

7. flyover

flyover

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    Grumpy_old_man likes this.
  8. Bradley T

Bradley T

These threads are silly. You can extrapolate any stat you want from scientific studies done under psychological warfare conditions. That is how this thing keeps going on and on. That is how psychological warfare works,- thousands of wrong answers! Everyone has more fake to pile on the heap. Yay!

9. Gundude

Gundude

Here's the problem:

"They" have gone back and forth so many times on what the primary methods of transmission are, that it's impossible to believe that there's any certainty about that at this point in time. The rest of the article is based on the assumption that those premises are absolute fact.

10. Dave514

Dave514

Unpossible. And too difficult.

Mr Meeseeks likes this.
  11. Baba Louie

Baba Louie

What if you don't care? Let them all get the novel WuHuPneum? Overwhelm medical facilities?

Just remember the words of the Dread Pirate Roberts when it comes to masks. "No, it's just that they're terribly comfortable. I think everyone will be wearing them in the future." How right he was...

Or you can get a ticket. (Ticket gifter will be masked of course.) Explain it to a Judge. Pay your debt to society. Maybe. If you skip that explain it to the judge part, will warrants be placed and your permanent record modified as a result?

When Free Faces are Outlawed... only... wait a minute. The masked guys have ALWAYS been the... can't do black hats v white hats. Golly & Gee Whiz Wally...

sigh

You still don't need pants, but here in NV, shirts, shoes and now masks are required to enter places of business. So we got THAT going for us... muahahaha

12. slym2none

slym2none

People want to call us "science-deniers", and I always ask those types "Which science am I denying, the one that says masks are good, or the one that says they are bad? Because that was said by the same person, you know."

fistagon, dkf, Navy1964 and 5 others like this.
  13. thespork

thespork

Ah, the old "does the sun go around the earth or the earth around the sun, MAKE UP YOUR MIND GALLELLEO!" argument

No-one ever said they were bad...
    It was thought they weren't very effective outside a medical setting(and besides there was a terrible shortage of even simple masks at the time), but as more data has came in, it has been shown they are...

So yes, if you deny this, you are a science denier...

If your default mindset is "people who change their minds can't be trusted", then you will never trust intelligent people. Especially intelligent people working on new and difficult problems...

They're going to wrong a lot more than the guy working the fryer at burger king. It goes with the territory

making up your mind one way about something and then never changing it, no matter what, that's for organized religion, not science

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  14. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

Oops. Posted to wrong thread.

15. Chesafreak

Chesafreak

People are going to believe this without even questioning it. Most people will never think about anything beyond the mask, like what they are touching when out in public, their mail, packages, etc. Despite masks people can still get it by touching surfaces and later touching their face.

Chui likes this.
  16. flyover

flyover

Just wash your hands! <sarc>

17. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs
    Hey, another mask thread! :)
    flounder this is great.gif Actually, since I live in one of two 11 story buildings with lots of elderly residents riding the elevators, visiting the laundry and mail rooms, I think it is a good idea to wear a mask in the buildings. Several people older than me are happily riding the elevators, getting mail, and doing laundry with no mask.

18. rainman33

rainman33

You’re still going to have to get this. Herd immunity still looks to be the only way we put COVID behind us.

flyover, NJ1911, Chui and 2 others like this.
  19. Dave514

Dave514

You do realize that not everyone gets the disease when herd immunity is the answer, right?

DonGlock26 likes this.