Masks Don’t Work: A Review of Science Relevant to COVID-19 Social Policy

Discussion in 'Covid-19 News/Info' started by Agonizer, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Agonizer

Agonizer Unmasked

Masks Don’t Work: A Review of Science Relevant to COVID-19 Social Policy

"Masks and respirators do not work.

There have been extensive randomized controlled trial (RCT) studies, and meta-analysis reviews of RCT studies, which all show that masks and respirators do not work to prevent respiratory influenza-like illnesses, or respiratory illnesses believed to be transmitted by droplets and aerosol particles.

Furthermore, the relevant known physics and biology, which I review, are such that masks and respirators should not work. It would be a paradox if masks and respirators worked, given what we know about viral respiratory diseases: The main transmission path is long-residence-time aerosol particles (< 2.5 μm), which are too fine to be blocked, and the minimum-infective dose is smaller than one aerosol particle."
    Read more:
    ://www.rcreader.com/commentary/masks-dont-work-covid-a-review-of-science-relevant-to-covide-19-social-policy

The Machinist and fx77 like this.
  2. c6601a

c6601a

This author seems to believe that if you lie forcefully and confidently, you can usually get away with it. He lists all the sources for his ridiculous conclusions. He is counting on no one actually bothering to read the sources themselves. If you do, you will find that at least the 2 sources of his that I read, say exactly the opposite of what he claims they say.

For example, the last source writes in its conclusion: "We found evidence to support universal medical mask use in hospital settings as part of infection control measures to reduce the risk of CRI (Clinical Respiratory Illness) and ILI (Influenza Like Illness) among HCWs (HealthCare Workers)."

The second study cited by the author makes the best case FOR wearing masks. It writes: "Finally, Lo and colleagues investigated respiratory virus isolations in specimens collected primarily from in-patients and compared virus isolations in
    Hong Kong in 2003 with the preceding years. Declines in the number and proportions of virus isolations were attributed to population increases in hygienic measures and widespread use of face masks, as well as social distancing during the SARS epidemic"

In other words, in 2003 the cases of Influenza in Hong Kong declined because people we wearing masks and practicing social distancing due to SARS.

I do not know what mental defect can lead one to conclude from it that masks don't work.

Deanster, czsmithGT, Westexas and 2 others like this.

3. cheygriz

cheygriz God Bless Trump

Masks DO work.

czsmithGT likes this.
  4. Dave514

Dave514

5. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Masks work. Just like borders, walls... work. It’s important to decide what you mean by “work”.
    If I was on a plane. I would like a purified air feed to a full face mask. Positive pressure. Normal dealing with people 8’+ away. A mask is of little, to no value.
    Watching people at same round table wearing masks, drinking, eating. Masks down, up... I felt 10’ away no mask was much safer. (I may have sat under air coming into room)
    Short times I will wear a mask to humor others. I had thought it would cause people to stay further away. Instead if you have a mask people get too dang close. False security?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    Deanster and nrajeff like this.
  6. slym2none

slym2none

I wear a mask if a private business tells me I must to enter their establishment.

It's really not hard to do.

But, I will not have the gov't mandating I have to wear one.

It's really not hard to understand.

:)

7. Dave514

Dave514

I don't agree with government mandates either but what is it you're going to do to 'not have it'?

8. slym2none

slym2none

I have been told not to interact with you, so while you are not on the ignore function, I will not reply to any more of your posts after this, ever.

Dave514 likes this.
  9. nrajeff

nrajeff

So caring for 2 whole minutes is okay, then?

10. Dave514

Dave514

Irony aside.

Well then let me make it clear that when you say "But, I will not have the gov't mandating I have to wear one." it means nothing because you won't do anything about and any mandate will stand.

11. slym2none

slym2none

12. Dave514

Dave514

:agree::okie:

Clearly does what he's told by not replying to me. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    tacit mesa likes this.
  13. slym2none

slym2none

Here in NC, where there is a mandate, I see maybe half the people wearing them, overall. Depending on where you are, it might be 75% wearing and 25% not, or the other way around.

Liberal-run cities are full of masks. Out farther, it's just the virtue-signaling crowd, like the parents walking their kid outside, in the sun, nowhere near another person, and all three were wearing masks.

Nope.

CSG and nrajeff like this.
  14. nrajeff

nrajeff

Did some of you see the story about the Kovid Kops riding out to punish an unmasked guy who was all alone on a deserted beach? If that's where the mandates are headed, I'm not sure we're still in the land of the free...

CSG, Westexas, Agonizer and 1 other person like this.
  15. Westexas

Westexas

Texas just went mandatory for mask wearing in any county with more than 20 COVID 19 cases.

Just put new chemical/particulate filters on one of our P100 masks. Particulate filters are on order for the other 2 P100 masks.

We plan on getting at least one full face mask. That’s for the next outbreak.

16. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

I think part of the problem is that there is no standard for masks. Most are packaged with disclaimers stating that they are not medical masks. The latest thing seems to be *designer* masks. I saw some in a grocery store for sale that looked like they were made out of cheap t-shirt material. Some are advertised as easy to breathe. I would think breathing should be a little difficult in an effective mask. I even saw a mask advertised with an electric filter system.

nrajeff likes this.
  17. bdcochran

bdcochran

The usual bickering.
    Ask yourself some simple questions:
    1. how far can you spit?
    2. can you spit further if there is a 10 mile an hour blowing in the direction that you spit.
    Answers - unless you are hauling around an oxygen tank, the answer is more than 6 feet.

3. if someone spits on your clothes, you touch the droplets and then rub your eyes, are you protected by your mask?
    4. if some one spits full on your mask, are you the type of person who routinely takes of his mask with gloves, puts the mask in a bag, washes it at home and dries it before putting it back on again.
    5. if you space yourself 6 feet apart in your grocery store, wear a mask, deal only with a person checking you out behind a plastic panel, are not spit upon, but you enter your password with your finger on the credit card machine, and then lick your finger in the car, have you been potentially exposed to the virus?

Go ahead and wear a mask. The biggest complaint I have is that I avoid collisions by looking at people's faces to see if they are alert or giving signals. So, I can't read your expression when you are tooling around in condition white and not paying attention. Remember that when you are driving or walking in a store. Take off the mask when you drive.

Deanster and nrajeff like this.