Mask the NEW Normal for the USA?

Discussion in 'Covid-19 News/Info' started by Glock-O-Rican, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Westexas

Westexas

Educating the general public from the beginning would have been a big help. The public should have been informed about the benefits of taking vitamin D. Those with comorbidities should have been educated on the use of P100 respirators and educated on performing a fit test. These respirators should have been stockpiled and distributed to all
    high risk people. Mask wearing for the rest of the population would be completely optional. Businesses should have been left open.

In 1968 we had a flu pandemic with a similar mortality rate. I lived through that one. Businesses continued to operate and life went on. Yes, people died, just like they have through all the other pandemics in history.

We will have more pandemics. These are normal and cyclical.
    They will also become more frequent due to an ever increasing human population and ever increasing populations of farm animals to support it.

Southeast Asia will likely be ground zero for the next one. Too many people, too many chickens and pigs, and unsanitary conditions. This is heaven to a zoonotic species jumping virus.

We need to adapt. Just like our ancestors did.

2. George Kaplan

George Kaplan emeritus

Our ancestors did not adapt. The weak died. The strong survived. That is why you and I are here now. The weak will continue to die. The strong will continue to survive, that is how the human race evolves. Masks, vitamins, hurt feelings ain't going to change that.

Pigs make good pets too.

3. -JCN-

-JCN-

Yes, but by that same token you’re saying I don’t have to carry a gun because the actions of others don’t matter.

The chances that I would need a CCW to defend myself is very slim, but I can protect myself and I’d imagine you would support that choice.

Same thing here. Regardless of the slim chance I’d get really sick if I got COVID it would still keep me and my daughter out of work and school for weeks if we got it.

If I was wearing N95 level protection then people can do whatever they want.

COVID is really contagious. Whether you get sick from it is another story. Home made masks don’t protect that well.

But “real” masks (N95 and above) do.

To protect yourself, do you carry bear spray, a knife or a gun.

If I choose an N95 level of protection for a low chance of needing it, it’s the same as carrying a firearm for the low chance of needing it.

It’s my choice and my freedom to choose.

4. George Kaplan

George Kaplan emeritus

That was a well-written, respectful, and prepared response but your point is lost on me. Your first sentence put words in my mouth. You could have eliminated the entire body of your post and just wrote the final sentence which should be agreed upon by all.

Mask mandates can be shoved hard where the sun don't shine. I will protect myself in the manner in which I see fit, not what someone tells me it is.

5. Jon_R

Jon_R

Must be regional. FL stance is hey virus is real, mask might help, we recommend them, do what you want. I don’t have a problem with it.

Wear it or don’t I don’t care. Outside my parents and grandma (90) who would probably have bad results I don’t care if others get it or not. It is a virus that spreads pretty well.

tmoyers66, tuica and rock_castle like this.
  6. Wojo88

Wojo88

Trump will be reelected, Flynn case is finally closed for good, clean up of the mess the Democrats left begins immediately. Dr. Atlas was not brought in by chance, Fauci played his role for the NIH and again failed in his models for a reason. Just like his past experiences, this time there is a new Sheriff in town who doesn't play those games. History has taught us a lot, sadly some of the same actors in past history are at it again...

7. fg17

fg17

Have to wear one at work and stores.

8. Sherlock913

Sherlock913 If the coronavirus doesn't take you out, can I?

I went maskless a couple weeks ago except for work. It was making me
    Claustrophobic. Then the damn Dem gov passed a new mask order and I’ve been stopped twice now. I don’t know if they are that overzealous or it’s my ‘Make Space Great Again’ hat.

What REALLY makes me mad is the utter lack of critical thinking. Everyone carries the herpes virus. If you used the same criteria to test for that, as they do Covid, the news would have to report 330,000,000 herpes cases in the US. People need to read up on PCR and listen to the inventor and what he warned about with PCR false positives.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
  9. -JCN-

-JCN-

But you’re doing what you’re accusing other people of doing to you. You are putting words in my mouth.

I’m not telling you how to protect yourself. I don’t care if you do or if you don’t. I’m not saying that I support mask mandates.

And with my own personal protection I’m not caring how you protect yourself. But I do assess personal threats (which are real, albeit unlikely). So if I wear protection similar to what I wear when I take care of actual sick COVID patients in the hospital when I’m at the store, then I also won’t “worry about it.” But I’m still assessing the threat.

I wouldn’t walk into a COVID patient room without any mask and say “I’m not going to get sick!” I’m going to assess the threat and take personal protective steps.

fg17 and Westexas like this.
  10. Westexas

Westexas

I respectfully disagree. They did adapt. For example, Yersinia pestis was the main cause of the “Black Death” that ravaged Europe during the Middle Ages. Although no one had a clue as to what the cause was, a few did make the connection between garbage, rats, and the Plague.

I recall reading about one city in Germany (I don’t recall the name) that made the connection and eliminated the dumping of garbage inside the city. The people “adapted” to enforcing sanitation. The result? Far fewer cases of the plague. Many areas “adapted” to the forced quarantine of Plague victims inside their homes. They were literally locked inside until they recovered or died.

Once the connection was made between Malaria and mosquitoes, people “adapted” by draining swamps near human settlements.

You are correct in regards to the “weak” dying off from past outbreaks. This has happened throughout history. Those that survive outbreaks pass their resistance genes off to their offspring.

fg17, -JCN- and flyover like this.
  11. George Kaplan

George Kaplan emeritus

No you don't. I work upwards of 70 hours a week. I don't wear a mask at work nor does anyone else. You choose to stay at your job and I'm sure you can provide many excuses why. Doesn't matter.

You don't have to wear in stores either. Shop somewhere else or online. I've managed to buy everything I have needed without wearing a mask. I was denied service at two stores. I left without saying a word, got what I needed at a competitor, and will never again step foot in the two places that said I could not be in there without a mask.

Irony: I will most likely be forced to wear a mask to vote. I won't create a scene but I'll have some comments that will be overheard.

rock_castle likes this.
  12. George Kaplan

George Kaplan emeritus

Whittle it down. The ones who put two and two together were the strong ones that survived that particular calamity in history.

13. Glock17193643

Glock17193643

Wearing a rag on your face does not protect you.

14. fg17

fg17

I just new you were going to say some stupid **** like that.:animlol:

Priceless, the old quit your job/profession of 33+ years that I make a very good living at and every shop in my trade requires a mask to be worn. move to a different state, or country if you don’t like it. Shop somewhere else, even if you have to go to a dozen stores until you find the one that doesn’t require a mask. LOL... Yes I’m stuck with a mask.

15. got_metal

got_metal

16. Agonizer

Agonizer Unmasked

Amazing how someone who seems intelligent can be so obtuse, and not see how this mask thing is a big hoax. It's all about how much control the people will tolerate.

tool-time, Zerodefect and rock_castle like this.
  17. rock_castle

rock_castle With Liberty and Justice for all.

Can any of you Mask Nazis explain to me why the mask only works one way: stopping outbound germs but not stopping inbound germs?

18. Zerodefect

Zerodefect I feel pretty.

If people start wearing creepy masks like these to the grocery store.......I'll bet the bleeding heart, easily scared, sheeple, will stop with the mask nonsense really quick:

[​IMG]

Going to stand in line at the deli dressed like this?:
    [​IMG]

tuica and rock_castle like this.
  19. uhlawpup

uhlawpup l'Italia s'è desta

If you think that I’m a sheep, friend, come visit me sometime...

20. Zerodefect

Zerodefect I feel pretty.