Maryland'ers, pipe up! Like your state?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by geofri, Feb 5, 2010.

1. geofri

geofri Poikilotherm™ Lifetime Member

Hey GNG'ers,

I'm up above Pittsburgh PA right now, but my mother and brother will be moving down near Frederick, close to relatives, in the next year.
    I'm planning to stay up here to finish my 2 more years of college, but i may consider transferring to a school down there.

I want to start reading up on the state.. gun laws, reptile laws:)supergrin: see avatar), etc..

I know I could read through OC.org or some of the sites google would turn up, but I'd like some more personal information.. what all you like and dislike about it down there. :dunno:

I like what ive seen so far, lots of old rock walls, bears, more sunshine! lots of snow, wild lizards for a change:supergrin:

But as far as living there... just not sure.

Its like Switzerland, my trip there was awesome! but I don't know about actually living there...

Thanks,
    Andy

2. Mrs. VR

Mrs. VR Sharon, you will be missed.

The gun laws are terrible, but not as bad as NJ, the gov is liberal, but it's home to us, all our family is here. There are lots of nice things about living in the area, conveniences, culture, etc. Frederick is a somewhat more rural/suburban area, but it's not that far from the city amenities.

3. geofri

geofri Poikilotherm™ Lifetime Member

Oh cool, Mrs.VR lives there!

It would probably be above frederick, around wolfsville, that's where the relatives are.

I do believe mags over 20round are prohibited there(?).. I don't want to lose my precious g18 mags!

It would be cool to be able to go to DC on the weekends!

4. Mrs. VR

Mrs. VR Sharon, you will be missed.

VR said you can bring them with you, you just can't transfer 'em here. (Look it up to be sure, not legal advice!)

We are about 15 mins south of Frederick. :supergrin:

5. El_Ron1

El_Ron1 AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

6. GlocknSpiehl

GlocknSpiehl NRA Life Member

Let's see: high taxes, no CCW unless you perform improbable sex acts with the MD govt, highly leftist govt. I lived there for 2 years and then fled to VA for 16 years.

7. silentpoet

silentpoet

I wouldn't live there, no offense to VR and Mrs VR. The gun laws are too much.

8. Scott3670

Scott3670

Gotta agree with the post about the gun laws. My wife and I love to visit MD but my only regret is that there is no way in hell that I'll ever be able to ccw in that state. I'm perfectly happy living in West Virginia, and am only 23 miles from MD.

9. byf43

byf43 NRA Patron Life Member

VR is correct.

(For now) you can buy outside of the state and bring into Maryland any magazines with a capacity over 20 rounds, but, you can't buy/offer to buy, sell/offer to sell, give/offer to give, etc. INSIDE the state; as a resident or visitor.

Mrs. VR is absolutely correct. The firearms laws in Maryland are terrible, but, they're not as bad as NJ, NY or DC. . . . YET!

The Frederick area is nice. We've got friends near Frederick (Jefferson/Knoxville area), and we love it up there!

10. exmdshooter

exmdshooter WWJMBD?

See my user name. I moved from MD to PA... just a few miles North of the line... about 6 years ago. No question - if you're a gun guy you're headed in the wrong direction :tongueout:

But seriously, MD is a beautiful state with lousy liberal politics... especially when it comes to firearms laws. No CCW (ok, it's a "may issue" state, meaning if you ain't connected you ain't carrying), one-gun-a-month limits (that can be avoided by obtaining "collector status" from the state police), and mag capacity limits, among other restrictions.

As stated above, the latter is a joke - you can easily come to a show in PA and buy as many 30 round mags as you want - perfectly legal. You can also bring whatever you already own into the state... no problem. Just no purchase or transfer of mags over 20 rounds WITHIN the state.

It's a shame, really. There are some really great people in MD. If you got rid of Baltimore City and PG & Montgomery Counties, MD would be a red state. Trouble is the elites and parasites in those areas outnumber the freedom loving citizens in the rest of the state. So long as that's the case, the political atmosphere in MD is unlikely to change.