Maryland Rennfest

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Glock&KimberLady, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Glock&KimberLady

Glock&KimberLady Morior Invictus

Holy crap, this place was HUGE. And loaded with semipermanent buildings. And PACKED with people. I heartily recommend it. I'm a veteran of Renaissance Faires, been going since 1988, and I'm accustomed to big faires like the SoCal Ren Faire, but I believe this one outclassed it with food, artisans, and entertainment. The venue was also delightful; well worn paths that wove in and out the BLESSEDLY BIG SHADE TREES. Huge bonus, the shade trees, as it was 87 degrees and some degree of humidity. Tickets were somewhat less costly as well; $24 for adults, $10 for kids, free for kids under 6...versus SoCal prices of $28 for adults, $15 for kids, 5 and under free.

Downside? NO WEAPONS. Real or fake. Given that my costume traditionally has three daggers (two in front, one in back), I was a little annoyed about that. And The Mister has a full-sized cutlass and a dagger of his own, he was a little annoyed. And given that all three of my daughters have their own daggers, they were a little annoyed.

Amazingly, not one place sold the juggling sticks I play with, and not one person in the entire freaking faire was juggling. It was just me. So if you went to the MD Rennfest (or are going in the future), the chick in the pirate hat with the leather corset and the juggling sticks and the permasmirk? Yeah, that's me.

Anyhoo, here's some pics. Smallest Demon Daughter has it in her head that she's going to learn to juggle like her mum, so I got them taken away from me. A lot. To the point where I was getting aggravated because I wanted to juggle with my sticks and she was hogging them. Next time we go, in a few weeks, I'm giving her Numbah One Son's sticks (he's pretty uninterested in faire, why I don't know, so.many.boobs) so she quits taking mine:

[​IMG]

Eldest daughter in the stocks. She picked the title, then I had to explain what it mean :ack:

[​IMG]

Miss Cheerful and Lively daughter, in a rare moment of imperiousness:

[​IMG]

d'aww, The Mister and me. Corsair hats make the kissykissy a little difficult:

[​IMG]

hot and sweaty and most of my makeup gone. All in all, a good day:

[​IMG]

NewWaveGuy and inthefrey like this.
  2. Glock&KimberLady

What's that, you say? You missed posting a picture of yourself? I finally got my ghawazee coat back, so it adds another layer (MOAR sweat) but also looks more finished than the bare corset hanging out. Yay me!

[​IMG]

3. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

We used to go to the one in Magnolia, TX, waaaaay back.

It was a real village, and the hippies lived there all year. Making Arts, n'at.

All of it was brilliantly magnificent.

We've still got a VHS of the baby elephant that broke through the rope and stomped on me, while I was filming him, and when I got up, his baby-elephant trunk was jammed down in my HUGE faire-collectors mug, sucking all my beer.

His handler just let him go, while laughing.

He didn't care that I got stomped. And I guess the little elephant already knew where beer comes from.

I was mad because it was, like, $20 worth of beer.

I've got many stories of this place.

I think it burned down a few years ago.

4. Koba

Koba

The ren fest in atl and tenn allow peace tied weapons I believe. I love them, don't dress up though

5. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

One thing I still regret is not buying a sword from this guy that was hammering them out of pieces of railroad track.

They were four foot long and had a huge metal ball at the the bottom of the handle. They were displayed, balanced on a stand, with just a point at the hilt, just balancing there.

I "couldn't afford it".

(I probably could have.)

(If I came home with a sword, and missed the next two months rent, my wife would've hated me more than usual.)

NewWaveGuy likes this.
  6. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

The last ren fair I went to was a small town type of deal. Random geek fest. A bit of renaissance, and lots of fairies, pirates, Xena wannabes, and random wtf.

7. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

Hey, there is NOTHING wrong with a "bare corset hanging out".

We skipped the Dayton RF the last couple of years, just too hot and crowded and hard on the feet and legs. It sounds similar, large, fixed buildings, lots of vendors who have been there for years and years. Lots of freaky people in the afternoons but a lot of people with good crafts and some fun people. The professional insulter was a great time.

Celtic weekend is the best IMHO, real highland games.

8. Glock&KimberLady

Huaco - there was a full sized adult female elephant at this Faire. They were selling rides on her. I didn't buy one for the kids because it made me sad :(

NewWaveGuy and G19Tony like this.
  9. tous

tous GET A ROPE!

Good that you and your family had a good time, ma'am.
    Uh, since when is 87F hot? :headscratch:

:wavey:

10. AC37

AC37 SystemicAnomaly

Nice pics GKL!

11. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

See Tous, those of us who don't live in Texas have this phenomenon called "winter." It's where the weather gets colder. Should you ever experience it, I think you'd find that the human body does quite well at temps under 110 degrees and that it's even quite enjoyable.

KWalrad and Rizzo like this.
  12. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

Oh, and Vikings and Scots were all over the place at the last Ren fair I went to.

13. inthefrey

inthefrey Moved on...

My old home town of Annapolis is only a few miles away from Crownsville. I loved Renaissance Festival when we lived there. We'd go every year.

Mrs. VR likes this.
  14. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

I've always wondered how many of these there are. Did they have the crazy dude on the giant spinning wheel contraption there? Or the mud brothers?

15. moeman

moeman

They are fun...
    Love jousting and boobage. Even better is jousting for boobage.

NewWaveGuy likes this.
  16. vote Republican

vote Republican White and nerdy Silver Member

Went to one many years ago. No costumes, just a family walking around like it was the 20th century (this was a long time ago, in other words). Haven't pondered the boobage aspect recently though.

17. tous

tous GET A ROPE!

I have a picture in my feelbe little mind of VR in full Rennfest costume and trust me, it's quite amusing.
    :supergrin:

18. Glock&KimberLady

When you're wearing a skirt, a tunic, a coat, and a leather corset, 87 is hot!

19. Glock&KimberLady

They did have the spinning wheel contraption. We weren't able to take it all in, as we were toting four little girls (three of which were mine, two of which were whining and complaining almost constantly). We're headed out again this weekend, sans kids, so we'll be able to be a little more leisurely.

20. Glock&KimberLady

The Mister cuts a rather dashing figure in his.