close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Marvin Woods (Turner South) cookbook: does anyone own it?

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by The Pontificator, Jan 7, 2005.

1. The Pontificator

The Pontificator Angry Samoan

Having more cookbooks than I can possibly use, I'm interested in adding this one to the collection:

[​IMG]

I'm sure that it's every bit as good as Marvin's show on Turner South.

2. JohniusMaximus

JohniusMaximus

Don't have it myself, but if it's half as good as his show I'm down for getting a copy. He's in my top 5 of TV cooking show people. Right near Alton Brown and Justin Wilson.

3. The Pontificator

The Pontificator Angry Samoan

His bio is very impressive:

Chef Marvin Woods

Chef Marvin Woods puts a healthy spin on the traditionally heart un-friendly foods of the South for Turner South's HOME PLATE. Woods hosts this step-by-step cooking program that demonstrates how to prepare traditional Southern cuisine for a healthy lifestyle.

Woods has recently opened his own restaurant, M. Woods, in North Miami, Fla. Serving 'New American' cuisine, Woods incorporates his classical training and experience cooking in the South, the Caribbean and Europe into M. Woods' menu. Woods moved to Florida from Charleston, S.C., where he was executive chef of Anson Restaurant. Previously, Woods held chef positions at fine hotels and restaurants such as The National Hotel, Miami, Fla.; Savannah Restaurant, Miami Beach, Fla.; Milestone Hotel, London, England; and Café Beulah, Orbit Café, Arizona 206, The SeaGrill at Rockefeller Center and Windows on the World all located in New York, N.Y.

Woods' culinary accolades include being a featured chef at The James Beard House in 1998 and 2001, feature pieces in O: The Oprah Magazine, Southern Living magazine and Food & Wine magazine and a stint as a guest chef at Restaurant Danzon Buenos Aries in Argentina in 2000.

He entered the publishing world in 2000 with his book, The New Low-Country Cooking, which shares Woods' recipes for the Southern classics with historical facts on how these dishes ended up a part of Southern heritage.

Woods graduated from the Academy of Culinary Arts in 1984.

4. General Sherman

General Sherman

Have to agree he is one of the most skilled chefs on the tube.
    He had Atlanta food scientist Shirley Corriher on the other day showing a Sunday Brunch with her special biscuits. Shirley is a wonderful person as well as cook.

Many years ago, before Shirley was well known, and before she re-married, I had a New Year's brunch at her home. She had a string quartet for her music/entertainment!