Martial Arts..

Discussion in 'The Martial Arts Forum' started by The AmBASSaDEER, Feb 17, 2010.

1. The AmBASSaDEER

The AmBASSaDEER

Not much going on in this sub-forum.

What MA do you pratice? Have praticed? How long? Rank? How do you like it? ETC.

Ill start, Not sure if its classified as a MA but, I have been taking Krav Maga for 7 months, 4 times a week, 2 hours sessions (level I, Level II) I love it, cant get enuff. Im a level II student. Never have praticed any other MA.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  2. Ralff

Ralff

I just started Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (again). I was looking into a MMA gym but the only good one around here is about 45 min north, and I'm moving even further south soon, which is great because that makes the BJJ place even closer.

I would love to give KM a try, but I can't find a legit school here. The only places I see offering are Mcdojos. I'm not inclined to shell out money to take KM from "Tom's Tae Kwon Do and Auto Parts".

3. The AmBASSaDEER

The AmBASSaDEER

Where abouts in the South do you live?

4. Ralff

Ralff

I basically live in Satellite Beach, FL.

5. The AmBASSaDEER

The AmBASSaDEER

looks like you would have to go to Tampa or Jupiter to find the nearest KMWW school.

6. Ralff

Ralff

Exactly. I went with BJJ because it's a very legitimate school and it's close, not to mention damn fun. I initially wanted to find a striking art but the only "art" I could find locally and within a respectable drive was TKD and I'm not interested in that. It was basically a toss up between the BJJ place a good Judo place and BJJ won the toss. :)

7. Trigger Finger

Trigger Finger

Hi, I just discovered this forum a short time ago and was hopping for more input from the many members of Glock Talk.
    After studying several martial arts I settled on Kenpo.
    I am a Sandan in Kenpo Karate and retired from Southern California. Not too many places to train where I live now and injuries prevent me from any really strenuous workouts.
    BJJ is really a good style and it seems that most fights end up on the ground.

I am thinking about trying to find a good Tai Chi school for health purposes. Anyone know much about this Chinese art?

8. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

I've studied and taught various arts for 48 years.

9. Trigger Finger

Trigger Finger

What is your primary art, if you have one? Have you ever studied Tai Chi? If so what do you think of it?

10. The AmBASSaDEER

The AmBASSaDEER

details!?

11. The AmBASSaDEER

The AmBASSaDEER

never done Tai Chi, but I heard it actually a good workout.?

12. BurkGlocker

BurkGlocker Texas Redneck

I was studying Tae Kwon Do back in the early-mid 90's while still a teenager and only earned my green belt. I have looked for classes around here, but I would like to find someone who is willing to train on a one-on-one basis. I am not a big fan of the classroom style training as I believe that a person doesnt learn all of the essentials when there is only one instructor to say 30 students.

I have looked into Krav Maga, but cannot find anyone near Wichita Falls except in the Metroplex, but having to drive 2 hours there and back can be a PITA. I would really like to get the children into martial arts as well, not only for the defense aspect but to gain leadership and morals (which have been instilled in them, but to learn it in a different environment other than home only reinforces them). I have worked with my 15 year old daughter, but I only know so much, so she can only learn so much. I would like to do it as a family if at all possible, if I cannot find an instructor willing to do one-on-one training.

BG :patriot:

13. Trigger Finger

Trigger Finger

I the days when I was instructing in Hollywood, Ca I found the best teaching method for me and I believe the student was a half hour private class, one on one with the instructor then a one hour class with a small number of students.
    Six students and the instructor works best. You end up working out with different types and sizes of students and the instructor can supervise and teach. Many people are reluctant to train with others but as soon as they see the benefits and friendships that develop they end up liking it. Also I found it best to have, at least, beginning, child, female, regular and advanced classes. IMHO.

As always a good experienced instructor is vital!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  14. lawman_77008

lawman_77008 JBT

I did a little kick boxing when a teenager. I studied Tae Kwon Do for a few months while in college. A few years ago I spent a little time practicing Judo & Taiho Jitsu. Since then I have also studied Wing Chun for a couple of years.

Recently I thought about taking up Tai Chi. I visited a local school and took a trial lesson. It was a good workout. I was quite sore the next day. I was stretching muscles that I hadn't used in awhile. I can see Tai Chi being good for your health, just a Yoga would.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  15. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

I study Muay Thai. I really enjoy it. Great workout and builds confidence on striking skills. And, like someone mentioned already, I like the social part of it as well.

About a year ago, I tried to add Aikido / Aiki-jujutsu. The instructor was great, the school was nice and small but something just didn't click. I think it would just take me a loooong time to become even somewhat proficient since it is so technical.

Coincidentally, I just checked out a Ninjutsu school tonight. I took along a buddy who has blackbelts in three different styles (Bando, Karate, Aikido) and he gave it a thumbs up. So, I will try to add this to my Muay Thai schedule. The purpose is that I want to mix in grappling skills. Learning some weapons defense wouldn't be bad either.

We've had some MA discussion over in the GT S&C forum too.

16. The AmBASSaDEER

The AmBASSaDEER

I like striking, I would like to train Muay Thai.

17. GroovedG19

GroovedG19 Southern Swan

Got to brown belt in TSD over a decade ago.Today I practice a hybrid of karate/tsd, muay thai, and JKD.

18. inzone

inzone

I am training in arnis and escrima right now... i really like the emphasis on common, usually available weapons such as stick, cane, reinforced umbrella, karambits, kubatons, batons, etc..... weapons are force multipliers and i have found that you pretty much have to use weapons to have a chance against multiple attackers.....arnis and escrima are one of the few styles that really truly are effective against multiple attackers.... and you can study this art as you get older too!

19. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

I wish I could find a good Modern Arnis instructor in my area.

20. Steel Talon

Steel Talon

1965 started Judo
    1970 moved into American JuJitsu
    1972 high school wrestling
    1975 Shotokan
    1978 Iiado
    1982 Kendo
    1988 Shuri
    1994 Silat
    1998 Escrima