close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Martial Art Discussion

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by chr_edw, Jun 16, 2012.

1. chr_edw

chr_edw Holster Maker

Let's talk about your martial art. Why is it the best? Why are the weaknesses? How has MMA changed the way you train? What about traditional programs vs reality based training.

:duel:

2. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Don't need no martial arts.

I got gunz.

3. JAS104

JAS104 NRA Life Member

+1, lmao. But for the OP I'd say krav maga is the most effective form of self defense martial arts.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

4. chr_edw

chr_edw Holster Maker

Krav is good and has gained alot of popularity.

Don't need MA at a distance, but might need to get some one off of you to get to your gun. There are also times when it's acceptable to hurt but not kill.

5. fallenangelhim

fallenangelhim come get some

Muay Thai for stand up and clinch. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu to put you out.

Sent from my Android

6. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

I think the concept of needing to know a martial art has alot to do with your age.

Older folks like myself (still young enough, but not really interested in learning one) really don't need them if we're not out at bars and such where mano-a-mano fisticuffs are likely to occur.

Which is not to say they're useless, I even did tae kwon do as a sprout. But I've lived another 20 years since being into martial arts, and the only times I ever would have needed to use it, happened while clubbing.

Once you're out of the macho guy meets girl with other macho types around environments, there's very little chance of needing it.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  7. GRIMLET

GRIMLET Deceased

I have no martial arts skills.
    Does having marital skills count?

If I were to ever learn a dicipline,
    I would try krav Maga if I wanted to learn how to stop a fight RIGHT NOW with no regret to cause bodily injury. From the little I have seen, the Israeli Army has developed it into a lethal art.

8. SMOKEin

SMOKEin

Does anyone train just regular old boxing anymore?

9. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Cars. Guns. Places to live. Shoes. Ways to financial success. Weight loss - all of these things, there is no "one way" or "best way" to go about this. We are all unique, and come to the table with different needs.

As someone else mentioned, age can play a role in what type of martial arts is sought out, as well as desired goals. Much of the martial arts in the USA is marketed as a "fitness" tool - and there is nothing wrong with this, as much of our population is overweight.

Some schools (ideologies) focus on strikes (hands/feet/elbows/knees). Some focus on takedowns and ground fighting, some focus on grappling, some focus on submissive locks, chokeholds and pressure points...or any combination of the above.

10. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

11. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

I'm a little guy, so I concentrate on being able to avoid, outrun, and outshoot. Should any of those not be an option, I'll do any nasty thing necessary to make them an option :supergrin:

12. bmoore

bmoore

There is no other martial arts besides MMA for real fighting. All of the traditional chinese types (kung fu) and such can be considered a hobby, nothing wrong with them at all; but to think they get you ready for fighting is comical. Same with krav, we had a guy come in our MMA gym with Krav "skills" he was a friend of one of our member so they were nice and didnt absolutely mop the floor with him. Traditional (wering a Gi) Brazilian jiu jitsu is a little different than "street" jiu jitsu. Kickboxing is an excellent stand up to learn but make sure your transition to and ground game is sound.

MMA is a ton of fun in the right gym. My gym had great people, everyone from real MMA fighters to guys like me who wanted to gain some skills while getting in shape. I had to leave due to my wife and I both working and raising a baby. I truely miss it, there are some great gyms out there that offer alot more than just the hardcore MMA fight scene crowd. It really is a ton of fun.

13. Gallium

Gallium CLM

I am only quoting you for when your (limited) knowledge of martial arts catches up with your enthusiasm. ;)

14. bmoore

bmoore

Yes people do. If you got into a tussle with a trained boxer you would have your hands full. One of the biggest eye openers is just how incredibly hard they are to land a hit on. Head movement, rear/front hand cover ups, double cover ups, punch picks............Im getting sweaty just thinking about sparring with a trained boxer.

15. bmoore

bmoore

I took 4 years of traditional Kung Fu. Worthless for a street fight especially with someone who is trained in MMA, it can flat out get you hurt.

16. GRIMLET

GRIMLET Deceased

It seems you have found the type of martial arts that fits your lifestyle and attitude.
    Which type of fighting skill subjective.
    I don't know how effective sparring could be with skills on both sides, when done properly, which could result in death. Expertice and the animal drive to use your skills would be key in a real world victory.

17. bmoore

bmoore

Not sure if you have done any training before so dont take this as me being an A hole. You can have all the animnal drive you want, if the other person has more skill/training you will be choked or KO'd. Thats the reality of it, you will be submitted. I found this out week after week after week.

18. 3glkdog

3glkdog

Yep, the art of click n bang.

19. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

Kung Pow Karate is the best! Just grow a mullet and get a closed head injury, then tell everyone you rule!

20. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Opening a GT account is an acceptable substitute for the first two...

:whistling: