MARS (Magazine Advanced Release System)

Discussion in 'Gun-Parts & Access.' started by Nick86, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Nick86

Nick86

2. mtstream

mtstream

Interesting, I hadn't seen it before. Ingenious design. I watched a few videos and this one seems pretty fair (both positives and negatives)

Interestingly enough though, they point out that the release is intended to be manipulated with the strong hand regardless of side (actually all the videos I watched indicated that was it's purpose). Because it's using a lever action to work from the right side, it appears the contact point is pretty far forward. Again, it's intended to be manipulated with a finger instead of the thumb. It may be difficult to reach it with your left thumb. Just something to think about.

You might look to buy from someone with a good return policy/service in case it doesn't get you where you want to be.

3. Nick86

Nick86

T
    Thanks! for some reason, I have not seen this video before. It gave me some things to consider...

4. nursetim

nursetim

I'd love to see Ann aftermarket device that mimics H&K's mag release.

5. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

You probably don't want to hear this, but my best recommendation would be to move to the Gen 4. Recommendation #2 would be to try installing a G34 mag release. It will allow you to engage the mag release with the base of your trigger finger, while keeping you trigger finger straight. I've used this technique doing weak hand (left for me) reloads.

Ironically the video states that the manufacturer recommends to use the trigger finger, which is exactly what the OP is having trouble with.

I bet it could be done, but would likely require magazines with the front cutout. My most recent Glock purchases indicates that they're no longer making magazines with that cutout, though I'm sure there are plenty on the market.

I'm not sure there'd be a big market for them. If anything there'd probably be a bigger market for a button type mag release for an HK. While I actually prefer the HK release, I wouldn't mind a button option on my HKs, just to keep a similar manual of arms. Even Walther has seen the practicality, and demand, for this.

nursetim likes this.
  6. Nick86

Nick86

I was considering that. I just hate to buy another g19 when I already have one. (although it would be a nice excuse to buy another glock :cheers:)

7. mtstream

mtstream

I think BuckyP is referring to the Glock extended magazine catch? It comes on some versions of the G34. I used to have one on a carry gun but had to take it off - it extended too far and would occasionally get bumped by the holster when drawing. Feels a little like Barney Fife to present a gun with only one bullet cause the magazine is on the ground :ack:

But along the lines of Bucky's suggestion, Vickers makes an extended mag catch for the Gen3 that is a much lower profile. It still extends but not by much and it's profile is slightly rounded so you wouldn't have to press on the sharp corner. http://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...xtended-mag-release-for-glock--prod25364.aspx

8. Taz

Taz

There is something to be said for trigger finger mag releases. I got hooked on it running HK paddles. Now I run my gen 4 set up leftie so I can use my index finger on a Vickers extended release.

9. Nick86

Nick86

wow, that vickers mag release is way cheaper than what I was looking at.

10. mtstream

mtstream

Just for the sake of clarity, it does not reverse the release like what you were looking at. But it mighy make it easier/more comfortable to manipulate with a left hand finger.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Nick86 likes this.