GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided to post this here, instead of the rimfire forum, as it may have more views/replies.

Moderator: Feel free to move as appropriate.

Anyway, the rifle is a .22 lever-action that is so similar to the 1897 Cowboy .22, except that it has a 20” octagonal barrel and no checkering on the furniture.

In other words, an octagonal-barreled “Mountie” with a brass buttplate and fore-end cap.

Serial number 233xx, so it looks like it was manufactured in 1972. Marlin supposedly used a numerical system from approximately 1969-1973, with the first digit of the serial number denoting the year of manufature.

I don’t have any photos yet, as my Father found it on consignment at a gun shop in a small town in Michigan (I live in Oklahoma) and he put it in layaway this morning.

Price is $700 USD, and is apparently in excellent condition. My Father knows firearms, so I can believe him.

Good price?

Any personal knowledge of this particular model?

Edited to add serial number information.

Reactions: Ross-in-Pa

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Picture? Preferably with a dollar bill? :eek:uttahere:
No photo yet, as the rifle is in Michigan and I am in Oklahoma.

You will have to rely on stock photos until the rifle is shipped to me.

when it arrives, I will be more than happy to accommodate.

Yes, I will include a $2 dollar bill for scale.

Reactions: Bomber Nav

·
Western Pa
4,140 Posts
Marlin 39s are great rifles.

Yours sounds like one of the better editions.

Congratulations. Be sure to post pictures and a range review when the time is right.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
5FD6CF25-43E8-4E5B-8FE3-F3EF13772D09.jpeg

This is a photo taken by an employee of my LGS of my Marlin just after it arrived in Tulsa from Michigan.

Apparently, it is absolutely gorgeous! I hope to pick it up within the next couple of days.

More photos to follow once I take delivery.

·
NRA Life Member
5,538 Posts
With all things considered, I think $700 is an excellent price for this particular gun in this condition.

New 39’s are now only available at the “Marlin Custom shop” for around $3000. :alex: Even a shooter grade 39 in average condition will bring $500 now or more.

Congratulations! I think you did well.

Reactions: OV1kenobi

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
OV1, just curious where in Michigan did you get that rifle?
That is a beauty. More pics please when you get it.

·
Texas Born & Bred
3,351 Posts
Marlin put out several different commemorative model 39's over the years. I remember the Mountie and a Buffalo Bill commemorative being offered. Very nice find.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts