close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Marlin Camp Carbine in 45acp

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by MCPreacher, Apr 3, 2010.

1. MCPreacher

MCPreacher

Got an offer to trade my 30-30 for one of these with a pair of stocks (Original wood and synthetic folder). Since I have wanted one for a while and it fits my caliber fetish, I am going to go see it in the morning.

Anything in particular I should be looking at?

I know about the buffers, the plastic trigger housing and the rep for cracked stocks because the action wasn't tightened correctly, but is there anything else?

2. Smashy

Smashy

3. joecoastie

joecoastie

Here's a pic of mine. I already had my Kimber so a compact well made carbine using the same mags seemed natural to me. It sounds like you already know most of the issues with these, the only thing I would add is that they can be a bit of a pain to reassemble, the is a feed ramp that you have to get positioned just right when putting the upper and lower receivers back together, once you do it a few times it really isn't all that bad. If the one you are looking at has feed issues take a look at the feed ramp. I would say make the trade, you can always get another 30-30 easy enough, the camp carbines on the other hand can be somewhat hard to find. Here is what I found on Gun broker. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SearchResults.aspx?kp=ctl00$ctlPagePlaceHolder$Keywords

[​IMG]

4. MCPreacher

MCPreacher

Thanks for the info! I found springs and buffer replacements at Blackjack's too so if I get the rifle tomorrow, I will be ordering them just to be on the safe side.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  5. Smashy

Smashy

6. MCPreacher

MCPreacher

Nice!

I have liked them from afar for a long time, never found one available when I had money.

The 30-30 is real nice, but it isn't collectible, really and with the Marlins getting harder to find, it just makes sense in my book. :cool:

7. MCPreacher

MCPreacher

8. Smashy

Smashy

Numrich has a ton of spare parts for the Camp guns, but their website seems to be experiencing a glitch right now. Check later when they've got it fixed.

Different caliber, but just for the heck of it, here are a couple pics of my tacticool zombie-slaying Camp 9...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

I had one years ago, nice guns. Just don't let Gunscrubber solvent get near the plastic (not polymer) trigger guard/mag well. It will melt/soften the surface of the plastic and leave it tacky.

10. Smashy

Smashy

11. eddief4

eddief4

those Camp Carbines are awesome guns! i have wanted one for a while, but never had a chance to buy one. what 30-30 are you trading for it? :wavey:

12. MCPreacher

MCPreacher

Thanks for the tip. He has a rail for it, though what kind etc I won't know until tomorrow. Good to know that if it is the wrong one, I now know where to go!

It is a '65 Mod94. Old enough to be pre-BS safety but new enough to be middlin-range price point. It's in excellent shape and I have had it listed here and other places for a month or so @ $450 since that is about the average that others from this year were selling for on auction sites. Most of the nibbles were from people wanting a $200 truck gun.

i wasn't in a hurry to get rid of it, really, just that it is the last gun I own in an orphan caliber.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  13. eddief4

eddief4

well those camp carbines cost a lot more than $450 i'll tell you that much. financially, it's a good deal.
    :wavey:

14. Smashy

Smashy

Another note: I don't know about the 45, but my 9 has a matte finish on top of the receiver, and a polished satin finish on the sides. I pulled it out of long-term storage recently and found light surface rust on the top of the receiver. The sides (and barrel) were fine. It cleaned up easily enough with no damage, but the matte finish on the top is more susceptible to surface rust, so keep an eye on that if you have it in storage for long periods. If I put it in storage again, I'll coat it with some paste wax first (I know, I shoulda done that the first time).

15. Smashy

Smashy

Assuming the Camp gun is in good shape, I'd go for it. .30-30s are everywhere, but a Camp gun in good shape is hard to find these days.

16. joecoastie

joecoastie

Nice! I've been wanting to get a Camp 9 for a while, of course then I'll have to get a S&W pistol to go with it too.......

17. Smashy

Smashy

Another view...

[​IMG]

18. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

19. MCPreacher

MCPreacher

20. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Good for you.
    They are great little rifles.