close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Marlin 1895 sight options

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Texasgundude, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Texasgundude

Texasgundude

Just traded for a Marlin 1895gs. The rifle has the ashley scout mount and a 2x scout scope, but no rear sight. Looking for some opinions on the xs sights as well as other options. I've heard that the XS are not very precise at extended range. I will most likely be using the open sights inside of 100yds.

Thanks in advance,
    TGD

2. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

i wouldnt say the marlin has much range past 100 yards,

especially depending on which caliber it is,

the ashleys will be fine..

3. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

4. sns3guppy

sns3guppy

I like the X/S sights, but if you're using a scout scope, then the iron sights are redundant.

I have a 1895 gs with a Leupold Scout Scope on the X/S scout mount, in .45/70. To me, it's a 100 yard rifle.

5. Iceman cHucK

Iceman cHucK

I have same setup (Leupold 2.5 Scout on XS base) on my Marlin 1895 stainless 45-70 guide gun and agree on it being a good 100yd rifle. I use Hornady 325 leverevolution and site it in at 2" high at 100 which gives me about a 150yd zero. Had one 5shot group @100yd that was almost touching holes! This ammo will drop about 8" from 100 to 200yds which is quite a bit less than the 24" drop I get with std Rem 405g load. With the scope removed (I have the Leupold QuickDetach rings and no rear site) I put a white mark on rear of base which gets me close at 25-50yds with the std front site. I believe XS now has a longer scope base that enables more options for mounting both a rear site to the rail along with the scope.

6. Minnow

Minnow

XS on my 1894 hog/deer gun. They a great for close range snap shots on running game. Mine has the XS threaded aperture. I have a Skinner .096" aperture insert that I used at the range to dial them in precisely, then removed it. I highly recommend the XS Ghost Rings if you are shooting at things inside of a hundred yards.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  7. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

How about Skinner sights?

8. mdhandyman

mdhandyman

I have the same on my 44 an love them :supergrin:

9. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

10. Texasgundude

Texasgundude

Really like the idea of backup irons, 2 is 1. Will look into this option when I get it in. Thanks

Do you have these? What's your opinion?

Had these on a 94 .44, Did you change out the front sight?

Thanks guys, keep 'em coming

11. txpitdog

txpitdog

12. txpitdog

txpitdog

The GS is an awesome firearm!

I've got a Leupold 2x turkey scope (heavy duplex reticle) on my GS. My eyes just aren't capable past 75yds. I have a Williams side scope mount and high over-bore rings if you'd like to use both a scope and the Ashley or Williams sights. I'll make you a good deal on both if you're interested.

For maximizing your GS, the Leverevolution ammo is the way to go for factory ammo. For handloads, the sky is the limit!

13. hogship

hogship Patriot Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

I've got the Williams receiver sights on the 39A and Winchester Trapper 357. The XS ghost ring sights are on the 1895GS. Lyman tang sight is second one down.

The thing to consider about the XS sights is it's a "quick acquisition" affair. It's not meant to be as accurate as the Williams receiver sight, but is more for quick shots. Those who say it's a 100yd set-up are absolutely right.....that's it's intended purpose, so don't expect it to be what it's not!

The 45/70, set up this way, is great for what it is.....but, the cartridge, itself, is very accurate and capable at very long ranges. Remember, it was used extensively by the buffalo hunters of the mid 1800's at very long ranges.......had to "arc" that big bullet some, but very accurate to distances up to 1000yds!

hog

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  14. Texasgundude

Texasgundude

Nice guns! I have used a lyman tang sight in the past and couldn't get used to it. I am new to the 45/70 round, but I have several other leverguns in .357, 30-30, .44, .22 and .22mag. Also picked up a 1895 ss today in a trade today. Guess I like leverguns:cool:

Thanks for the info and pics
    TGD

15. stmcelroy

stmcelroy Holster Maker

Wild West Guns peep sight set is very nice.

16. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

I don't have Skinner sights, but the boys over at the Marlin forum like 'em.
    I had the XS rear, it was OK, but only mounted with one screw. XS sights usually require a taller front sight that won't fit under the hood.
    The best receiver sight I ever had on a lever gun was a Lyman side mount similar to the Williams model in Hogship's pictures. I like the Lyman because the slide is steel, not aluminum. The side mounted ones require drill and tap (Lyman and Williams use the same holes) but allow for the use of the stock front. D&T is a quick and easy job for a 'smith.
    Older Marlins and Winny's used to be drilled and tapped for them.

17. Person

Person

I have a set of Skinner's on my Marlin 1894C and my 39A. They are great and Mr. Skinner has great customer service too!

18. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I'd probably get the Lyman Tang Sight or else just a new stock-type rear.