close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Marksmanship

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by CheifGlocker, Feb 15, 2010.

1. CheifGlocker

CheifGlocker

I need some tips to improve my markmanship.

I tried keeping the rear sight in between the front sight wedges horizontally levelled yet I am not hitting the bull eye.

My grouping tend to be at the lower left quarter of the target.

I read somewhere this happens because of the Squeezing problem.

But I am being real careful while pulling the trigger.

:help:

2. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

It could be a lot of things and you can only get so much help on line. Try to find some good instruction locally. If you have trouble doing that contact the NRA and they can give you a list of instructors in your area. Nothing beats hands on coaching. It could save you a lot of problems and help you avoid building bad habits you will need to break later.

3. StoneDog

StoneDog

Are you using a rifle or pistol?

4. eisman

eisman ARGH! CLM

Simple trick that can work with Glocks (and some other handguns). Put a penny on the top of the slide. Pull the trigger without causing the penny to move.

5. Rashid.4v

Rashid.4v

Alot of considerations before I can advise.
    What type of weapon
    What shooting position
    What distance

I'm not an expert, but I might be able to smooth things out for ya a little.
    Also, do a search on YouTube. You can learn pretty much anything from there nowadays.

6. Gonzoso

Gonzoso

Damn, you must have a smooth glock. Mine keeps throwing pennies all over the place. I even had to clear an Abe Lincoln stovepipe.:whistling:

7. Gallium

Gallium CLM

1. Wrong forum.

2. 99% of your concentration should be focused on maintaining that correct sight picture/hold, while pressing the trigger without disturbing that sight picture.

It is a combination of flinching, your arc of motion, recoil anticipation, lack of follow thru and an unsteady trigger press.

'Drew

8. CheifGlocker

CheifGlocker

Thanks you all for your expert tips. I bought some snap caps and mixed it with the real ammo. I noticed I do not flinch which pulling the trigger. I did a penny test also
    while dry firing.

Interestingly when I shot at 15 ft range I was hittling all in the bulls eye.
    One time I noticed I hit the same spot three times in the bulls eye.

But when I pushed the target away to 45 ft I was able to hit only 3 times at the bulls eye out of 15 round. Others were just out side or on the border of bulls eye.

Now please let me know what should i do to improve my marksmanship.

I saw a guy next to me hitting all 15 round in the bulls eye of course within the wobble zone.

Yeah I did not asked him for the tips

9. Gallium

Gallium CLM

You either need someone there to observe you shoot, or post some videos, CheifGlocker! Good luck with your quest.

'Drew

10. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

11. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Get a laser sight. Any make/manufacturer. Hell, even the 7-11 laser keyring things will work. Also get some sort of video camera
    Attach it to the gun.
    Find a white wall at home.
    turn the laser on and dry fire a LOT with the camera pointing at the wall.

Play back what you did and see how horribly the laser moves every time you pull the trigger. Work on it until the laser doesn't move.

12. Steve0853

Steve0853

Sounds like you just need more practice.

Your hitting the bullseye at close range, but scattering your shots a 45 feet. Lots of folks fit in that category.

All the tips about trigger control are good. Trigger control will get better with practice. One thing I would add is that you let the gun hand REST on the support hand. Do not let the support hand grip your shooting hand. That gripping action just adds another variable to your shooting.

13. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

My general advice to handgun shooting is in this thread:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1185797

Function over form.

There is NO correct way, other than whatever makes you the most accurate.

For example, if your goal is to have small groups at 25 yards, then whatever allows you to accomplish that is correct

Having said that, I like the Weaver stance. (I'm right handed). Left foot a bit forward. Right arm pushing out, left hand pulling back on the right hand. Right shoulder, as a result, gets the right arm pushed back into and locked into the right shoulder socket. Right elbow locked, or near locked. Left elbow bent as the left hand pulls back into the right hand.

With the hands, the left 4 fingers are pressed over the right 3 fingers (right index finger is on the trigger, of course). Right thumb is wrapped around the gun and going toward the right middle finger. Left thumb is parallel to, in the same direction as, and on top of, the right thumb (meaning the left thumb is not crossing behind the grip). This is basically "push/pull", where the right hand is pushing out, and the left hand is pulling in.

Body is balanced, with a slight lean forward. Sort of like skiing, you don't really lean forward, but you mentally tell yourself to lean forward a little bit so you don't wind up in the back seat. Really what you want is balance (but trying to lean forward just a little bit helps to accomplish that, when countering the recoil).

Seperate the two processess of holding the gun on target, and trigger pull. Let one part of your brain hold the gun on target, while another part of your brain pulls the trigger.

The part of your brain that is holding the gun on target either doesn't know about recoil, or has accepted it as a fact of life. Whether the gun recoils or not doesn't matter. Whether you are holding a .22 or a .44mag, the part of your brain that holds the gun on target has to treat it the same. It's only job is to hold the gun on target.

The part of your brain that pulls the trigger doesn't know, nor care, how well the gun is held on target. It only knows, that it has recieved the signal from the other part of the brain to start the trigger pull. That trigger pull is independent of whether the gun is on target or not. (A 3rd part of your brain is looking for safety and can stop the process at any moment, if the target is not safe to shoot at).

The trigger pull, of course, is slow and steady.

You have a certain amount of natural movement while trying to hold the gun on target (sights aligned, of course). Your trigger pull happens even though there is movement. You do not try to find the exact moment of "no movement". Instead, you pull the trigger even while there is movement. You try to minimize the movement by holding the gun steadier on target, but you can never eliminate the movement.

But it is important to not let the trigger pull introduce additional movement. Instead, the movement is from trying to hold the gun on target, and is under control of the part of the brain that is holding the gun. The trigger pull, and the responsibility of the part of the brain controlling the trigger pull, is to simply pull back smoothly without introducing any additional movement.

Clear as mud?

For sight alignment, I prefer to close my left eye once I start the trigger pull process. The focus is on the front sight. I'm carefully keeping the top line of all 3 sights even (left rear, front, and right rear). And I'm carefully keeping an even amount of "white space" on both sides of the front sight. Typically, my guns are dead on, so this sight picture covers up half of whatever I'm aiming at, whether it be a bullseye, squirrel, or deer.

It's a fun process of mental control. My 25 yard groups are basically at 4", but go down to 2" depending upon gun and level of concentration. Sometimes less than 2", but only as a matter of luck, I think

I mention group size, because it is an important reference point. What do you want to accomplish? What does the guy giving you advice shoot? If someone can shoot consistantly a 2" group, then listen to what they say and ignore everything I've said But if you are shooting a 6" group, and want to get down to 3" or 4", then maybe all these words I've typed out will help.

14. Hucklebarry

Hucklebarry Native

I wouldn't recommend attaching a video camera to your pistol! Very bad idea!

:supergrin:

15. Squaw Man Wolfer

Squaw Man Wolfer

Of course you really need a skilled coach to obbserve you, but you might think about what your little finger on your shooting hand is doing. It adds nothing to the grip, and often can curl at the last instant producing a lower left hit.

I've sometimes thought that a truly dedicated shooter would have his little finger surgically removed. (just kidding.)

16. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

It would work if you hang it off the bottom with duct tape :tongueout:

17. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Wasn't there just a video posted here a few days ago of what not to do?

Guy trying to hit a box in his yard, pointing the gun at his kids without consciously realizing it, not coming anywhere close to the box, and saying "see kids, that's why I need a laser" :rofl:

18. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

" One thing I would add is that you let the gun hand REST on the support hand. Do not let the support hand grip your shooting hand. "

This is something I HAVE NEVER HEARD BEFORE!

Of course I have only been shooting pistols for the last 50 plus years.

19. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

I've only been shooting pistols for half that time, but I've heard of it, and seen it at gunclubs. Also sometimes see it in movies. Sort of like setting the butt of the gun onto the palm of your support hand. Also have seen where the support hand holds the wrist of the shooting arm.

Personally, I prefer for the support hand's fingers to grip over the top of my shooting hand's fingers. Then I'm pushing my shooting hand forward, and my support hand is pulling back toward my shooting hand's shoulder. Push/pull.