Market dump thoughts?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by thespork, Oct 28, 2020.

1. DaveD

DaveD Ex-Mod Moderator Millennium Member

The market position has to be directly compared to you age and need. Need the money in the next couple years, get the hell out of the market.

Have enough money for the rest of your life and working on what to leave the kids? Let some of it ride.

Retiring in 5 years? Set market limits. 10 years? Set more conservative goals.

All of your assets tied to the market = not smart.

90% of the very rich people I know made their money in Real Estate. Some real bargains will be out there soon.

bdcochran likes this.
  2. rj1939

rj1939

Where the movie "Poor White Trash" was filmed
    One of the pundits that I watch and seems to actually have this so called market figured out, said that a Biden win had been factored in, but now there is a switch to a Trump win going on, so the drop, as it gets sorted out.
    The idiotic stimuli fiasco, is causing some chaos.
    And, it looks like Europe is shutting down again, so that will likely come here as well.

3. kiole

kiole

[​IMG]

That’s said I dump everything into the S&P500 I’ll be a multi millionaire by 60 or meet you on the front lines as the economy collapses.

Upgrayedd likes this.
  4. DannyB

DannyB

TACLOAD likes this.
  5. DannyB

DannyB

6. bdcochran

bdcochran

My response will probably cause me to be banned from entering the PRC ever again.
    1. there are still many, many spies within the PRC.
    2. there are continuing assessments of potential unrest.
    3. the creation, maintenance and distribution of food products is still rigidly controlled by the state.
    4. the creation, maintenance of state projects within and outside of the PRC is still rigidly controlled by the state.
    5. personally, I think that there is an inability to pay. The failed state heavy industries with their obsolete production facilities and large payrolls and bad debts must continue to be a drain on the state banks.

Most people have no conception of what goes on. Yes, there were and probably still are close to 100,000,000 people living on the streets because you must have a permit to reside in an area. You may have homeless and complain about the conditions. Wait until you see organized communities of men living on the streets who go to work!

Grains are fungible goods. However, the Brazilian soybean crop is down a bit this year. So, it is not that the PRC is buying elsewhere.

7. reniram

reniram

Intelligent, articulate interview with a knowledgeable woman. Thanks for posting this.

8. Aurora

Aurora

OK, let's step back for a second;......

October is always a volatile month. It's the anniversary of the crash of '29 and the crash of '87. Professional traders take these anniversaries seriously and there is resulting volatility. Some go short for the ride and others sit on the sidelines.

It happens every year.

V.

lazarus66 likes this.
  9. Z71bill

Z71bill

The "markets" are mostly dependent on government "stimulus" & FED money printing right now.

So for example - if Covid-19 cases keep going higher - most would think this is a bad thing for the economy - and I would agree with them - but the market will more than likely go higher - because more lockdowns means more free cash being sent out - more loan forgiveness - more rent and mortgage deferrals - more and larger unemployment checks - and of course more government debt. Which are good for the "markets".

My opinion - there will be a point in time when more government stimulus will cause the exact opposite effect on the "market" -- that is the point where extra debt piled on top of even more debt - all paid for with FED money creation will be seen as hurting the dollar more than helping the "market" -

So when that day comes it will be the start of a really bad time for most of us - the day of reckoning.

It is when other countries start to lose confidence in the dollar that will be the start of it - and why wouldn't they start to lose confidence when the FED creates trillions and trillions of dollars out of thin air and uses them to buy US government debt - so that the government can just hand money over to everyone -

When something can be and then is created out of nothing at some point it will be seen as worth nothing.

Save the - well if you don't want your dollars send them to me comments - we are a ways off from that day - but if we keep on the current path - we will eventually destroy the dollar.

Which some will say is good for the market - just look at Venezuela - best stock market in the world for a while - the total destruction of the currency made stocks worth more! Well at least more in the worthless Bolívar.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    TACLOAD and DannyB like this.
  10. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Benefactor

"The futures markets for tomorrow are up. I hope it holds."

Me too. After yesterday my taxable account wants some of that $78k loss back.

Oh well, being retired is great. I did our grocery shopping this morning and the plan for a rainy afternoon is watching spooky movies and finalizing my tacklewarehouse order. I was going to buy a couple hundred bucks worth of lures and hooks and such, but then my wife said, "Would you help me on this $2500 credit card bill?" Sure. Now I think I'll buy $400 worth of stuff. :)

11. BBMW

BBMW

Okay, but do you want to be sitting in cash as the feed is pumping out cash as fast as it can? At least the market floats on top of inflation, not gets drowned by it.

MaxB and Jonesee like this.
  12. FoodBag

FoodBag Previously nutsnax

The 1% are getting inflation because they are closest to the money printing faucet.

The rest of the unwashed masses get deflation..... So that the same 1% can swoop in and buy everything (maybe even .1% its hard to tell)

TACLOAD likes this.
  13. Aurora

Aurora

October is a bearish month. Everyone who trades the markets knows this and plans accordingly; either sit it out or go short. It's kind of a self fulfilling prophecy.

Besides that, everyone is holding their breath and waiting for the election outcome. Nobody who's directly responsible for the market's direction is really sure as to what a win for one side or the other will really mean. Uncertainty is really bad for market performance.

Long term? Right or wrong, we've been doing things a certain way for a long time and will likely continue to do so in the foreseeable future. It's just human nature. That means a continuing battle against inflation. The trick for everyone is how to stay ahead of it.

There is no meaningful deflation. Inflation is when your money buys less. Deflation is when your money buys more. There is very little of that going on - a pullback of overinflated prices, yes,.... general deflation, no. Keep a sharp eye on what is actually happening to yourself and your immediate world. That's real.

If we do get deflation in certain areas or sectors, it'll be purchased with job losses or the elimination of industries and/or entire companies. The way we reduce prices using our current methods is to eliminate people and processes, mostly with the use of tech or increased workload.

Food for thought.

V.

14. G-nineteen

G-nineteen

This morning (Friday), the market is expected to open down 440.

15. rj1939

rj1939

Where the movie "Poor White Trash" was filmed
    If it gets too ugly, the Fed will trot somebody out to promise moar liquidity, moar purchases..........................whatever.............................moar debt.

16. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Benefactor

-163 a minute ago.

It's not where it opens that matters...

17. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Benefactor

Now it's -145

18. cqb451

cqb451

The Baltic Exchange Dry Index is quite revealing. Displayed the daily movement of sea borne materials between global markets.
    https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/baltic

19. jim goose

jim goose "The Goose"

Europe is going into a second lockdown. If Biden puts us into a second lock down how can any business still hanging by a thread survive?

20. Jonesee

Jonesee

Dow is down 385 points.
    -1.44%