Market dump thoughts?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by thespork, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Monkeybomb

Monkeybomb Resident Misanthrope

It will drop until the election and then depending on the outcome and challenges etc it will either settle or become even more volatile. If it goes really low I will buy as much as I can.

2. peng

peng

One of my favorite bits of pithy wisdom that is more true than not:

The market is a voting machine short term, but a scale long term.

3. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

Buy, because Trump is going to win.
    If Biden wins, you're screwed no matter what you do.

BigBluefish likes this.
  4. Adjuster

Adjuster

What if Kanye wins?

/

Budqweiser likes this.
  5. Aurora

Aurora

I think your overall reasoning is sound. The market has lost momentum since September. Selling on Monday was a little late but still good (index wise).

The market closing below 27,000 on the DJIA was significant but not decisive. If it starts to trend below 27,000 then that is definitely bearish but there are a lot of people who look upon this as a buying opportunity, not to mention groups who don't want things to go negative for political/economic reasons.

Personally, I don't see anything to be optimistic about until the index trends above 30,000 on the DJIA. The failure to break 29,000 was significant in a bearish sense. These are the things that are important if you're trading your own account. Let the markets tell you what to do.

If you're trading individual stocks, start looking for examples that have held their ground. Put them on a watch list and wait for some sign of upward movement. This would be good if you're a trader but the current drop is not deep enough if you're a value investor looking for deals.

etc, etc, etc. Generally, I've been short since Sept (index wise). There are always examples that will buck the trend.

V.

6. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

The market will rebound from this dip after the election unless Covid-19 keeps getting worse.

MaxB and Jonesee like this.
  7. hannstv

hannstv

The market was sure there was gonna be another round of stimulus money, became plain it wasn't going to happen. The market will be a nervous as a hooker in church until after the election. Market hates uncertainty. After election market will start to go up again no matter who wins.

czsmithGT likes this.
  8. Wojo88

Wojo88

Why do you think this is?

9. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Benefactor

If you bought an ounce of gold on 9/1/11 when the price was $1826, how much did you make if you sold today at $1880? Not much.

August 5 would have been a little better at $2038, but that's still not much profit for 9 years of waiting. Nine years of no interest, no dividends, no nothing.

And now that you've sold, what are you going to buy?

czsmithGT and dbak like this.
  10. railfancwb

railfancwb

Gold, and to a lesser extent silver - the metals not paper - is somewhat like life insurance for most people. You don’t want to have to use precious metals for grocery shopping. And you don’t want your beneficiaries collecting your life insurance.

11. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Benefactor

But once you buy some and stash it away you don't need to buy more. So your gold sits there year after year earning nothing. I get it. I have a little.

I have a fair amount of junk silver my father and I saved out of pocket change in the '60s. I have some gold proofs he bought from the mint. They aren't investments, but they are beautiful.

Why has the price of gold gone up? Inflation? Wishful thinking? CDs paying .05%?

varget likes this.
  12. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

Because we are 27 trillion dollars in debt and the Dems & Repubs keep printing, borrowing and spending money like drunken sailers on shore leave.

Glockalong and Wilmersdorfer like this.
  13. Z71bill

Z71bill

Markets don’t like uncertainty- they have just gotten a double shot of it.

After the election no matter who wins it will reduce uncertainty.

Most think a Biden win will have more government spending - that is good for risk assets - until the collapse anyway.
    Never let politics cloud your investment view.

14. Jonesee

Jonesee

This drop is being blamed on the failed Covid stimulus negotiations. But, who really knows.

I just settled my accounts. It was the largest single day dollar loss since March 16. The 3 days so far this week have been an ouch! The futures markets for tomorrow are up. I hope it holds.

15. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 7th Street South, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    My advice:

Buy low, sell high.

Or in other words; "No Stuff Sherlock!".

Best of luck to all Americans!

fg17 and Budqweiser like this.
  16. Colt M-4

Colt M-4 AK-74 Silver Member

National debt is never getting paid go to $50 trillion they don't care. And everybody knows its not getting paid ever.

the next sure thing in life. It arrives at the end. 6de5c33ec763a411cfd203cbb78241d2.jpg

B C likes this.
  17. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 7th Street South, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    Budqweiser likes this.
  18. Budqweiser

Budqweiser

I’m known as a pretty savvy investor and I say let it ride.

19. jim goose

jim goose "The Goose"

I can’t believe it bounced back as much as it did. But that’s because the fed, and Trump, pumped trillions in the economy.

the effect of that is wearing off, bailout money has run out, and sooner, or later, the banks have to start hurting.

rj1939 likes this.
  20. FoodBag

FoodBag Previously nutsnax

Question for you:

I think some believe that the Chinese are playing Trump and doing so from a position of strength.... Im not so convinced

To your points about Chinese food import deals with the US: What do you think the likelihood is that, instead of the Chinese playing the US, they simply cannot pay and are willing to let their masses starve to maintain a facade of strength?

The reason I thought of this is because if I were a full retard Communist thats what I would do.

Edit: and perhaps writing off their unwashed masses and stockpiling food (and other things) in preparation for a massive war.