Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I am a little confused. I just talked to a Glock Armorer the other day and he said the Marine Spring Cups will fit and function on all Glocks.

But then I checked Glock's Website and it says they are only approved for the 9mm.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
The cups will fit all Glocks, however the 9mm is the only one approved to be shot under water.

·
20,420 Posts
They are not for shooting underwater. They are for amphibious carry, allowing water to drain from the firing pin channel.

·
Bustin Caps
6,927 Posts
They are not for shooting underwater. They are for amphibious carry, allowing water to drain from the firing pin channel.
Sorry Danny. I know you're a "Big Kahuna" around here, but this screen capture comes straight from GLOCK's web site.

As you can see, it says "for secure firing EVEN UNDER WATER" (caps are mine). That doesn't sound anything like "for draining water from firing pin" to me.

Once on glock.com, just go to OPTIONS->SPRING CUPS to see for yourself.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Seems to me that water in the firing pin channel would "catch" on the normal spring cups and probably slow down the striker enough so that it doesn't have enough speed to ignite the primer. Having the maritime spring cups allows the striker to travel through the water faster, as it has channels for the water to travel. So technically, the maritime spring cups allow firing underwater BECAUSE they allow the water to drain from the firing pin channel.

--FCOD

·
Registered
524 Posts
Sorry Danny. I know you're a "Big Kahuna" around here, but this screen capture comes straight from GLOCK's web site.

As you can see, it says "for secure firing EVEN UNDER WATER" (caps are mine). That doesn't sound anything like "for draining from firing pin" to me.

Once on glock.com, just go to OPTIONS->SPRING CUPS to see for yourself.
I just took the Glock Armorer's school and Phil Goldsmith the teacher said it was common mis-conception that Glocks can fire underwater, altho they might be able to do so it is not a good idea because of the damaging effects that it will have on your body with-out proper equipment, and the effects on the gun...

Glock states this because they don't want some yahoo going out jumping in his pool and popping off a few rounds as seen right now on youtube.

The spring cups are desiged for special ops that will be conducting underwater operations, and for police and game wardens that operate close to water sources (Since neither police and game wardens are properly trained in underwater shooting the marine cups are there to allow water to properly drain from the firing pin channel) SO Danny is right...

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I take it camping and all of the jazz.

Lone Wolf has Glock Spring Cups for 10 bucks, now I will definitly have to pick me up a pair.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I was told they are designed to relieve hydraulic pressure to allow the firing pin to have the force needed fire the round.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
I just took the Glock Armorer's school and Phil Goldsmith the teacher said it was common mis-conception that Glocks can fire underwater, altho they might be able to do so it is not a good idea because of the damaging effects that it will have on your body with-out proper equipment, and the effects on the gun...
It wont hurt your body, maybe your ears a little, I have shot 20 gauge bangsticks underwater and the concussion is far wrorse on that than any pistol round.

·
Registered
524 Posts
It wont hurt your body, maybe your ears a little, I have shot 20 gauge bangsticks underwater and the concussion is far wrorse on that than any pistol round.
Cool, thats just the way it was explained to me that the force from the rounds can rupture your ear drums and can possibly generate enough force to stop your heart, depending on the position you are firing at!

·
Bustin Caps
6,927 Posts

Glock states this because they don't want some yahoo going out jumping in his pool and popping off a few rounds as seen right now on youtube.

The spring cups are desiged for special ops that will be conducting underwater operations, and for police and game wardens that operate close to water sources (Since neither police and game wardens are properly trained in underwater shooting the marine cups are there to allow water to properly drain from the firing pin channel) SO Danny is right...
You debate for the point, then against the point.

1. I agree, that shooting underwater is VERY dangerous, and should only be done with proper equipment. I have a G17, and have NO intention of trying to fire it underwater. However, just because "police and game wardens aren't properly trained in how to do it", doesn't deny the fact that the gun is capable of doing it. Bad logic example #1.

2. You say "Glock states this because they don't want some yahoo going out jumping in his pool and popping off a few rounds as seen right now on youtube". Don't want? The sentence (ON GLOCK'S website) says even FOR firing underwater. That means that Glock believes their weapon can safely fire underwater. No logical person can construe that sentence to mean anything under than that. Bad logic example #2.

3. I am not getting my information second hand from somebody else, but STRAIGHT from Glock's website. Manufacturers are generally extremely cautious about stating facts on their website that might make them liable. The very fact that this **IS** on their website leaves me to believe one thing: The weapon is designed, with the maritime cups, to be fired under water.

I'd advise you to revisit your Debate 101 class, because your logic (as well as your ability to read a simple sentence and understand it) really needs some improvement..

·
NRA Life Member
1,758 Posts
The instructor (Mike Blount) at the armorer's course I went to said that there were some organizations that had requested ampib cups, like some state DNR's, just in case they fell out of their boat or something.

We installed amphib cups in ours, since we found ourselves on occasion slogging through a swamp or river while chasing someone.

·
Registered
524 Posts
SEE BELOW STATEMENT TO UNDERSTAND WHERE I'M COMMING FROM WITH THIS HIGHLIGHTED STATEMENT

Cool, thats just the way it was explained to me that the force from the rounds can rupture your ear drums and can possibly generate enough force to stop your heart, depending on the position you are firing at!
You debate for the point, then against the point.

1. I agree, that shooting underwater is VERY dangerous, and should only be done with proper equipment. I have a G17, and have NO intention of trying to fire it underwater. However, just because "police and game wardens aren't properly trained in how to do it", doesn't deny the fact that the gun is capable of doing it. Bad logic example #1.

2. You say "Glock states this because they don't want some yahoo going out jumping in his pool and popping off a few rounds as seen right now on youtube". Don't want? The sentence (ON GLOCK'S website) says even FOR firing underwater. That means that Glock believes their weapon can safely fire underwater. No logical person can construe that sentence to mean anything under than that. Bad logic example #2.

3. I am not getting my information second hand from somebody else, but STRAIGHT from Glock's website. Manufacturers are generally extremely cautious about stating facts on their website that might make them liable. The very fact that this **IS** on their website leaves me to believe one thing: The weapon is designed, with the maritime cups, to be fired under water.

I'd advise you to revisit your Debate 101 class, because your logic (as well as your ability to read a simple sentence and understand it) really needs some improvement..
Sorry but I made it a bit bigger for our GT member with bad sight.

Thank you.

·
Registered
30,229 Posts
Why make a fuss about something which has limited application?

Digging through the notes from my last armorer class I see I wrote down that the Maritime spring cups allow for faster drainage to allow the gun to shoot more reliably and longer when the cups are used in guns which are exposed to water inside the firing pin channel.

A comment was noted that if shooting a gun under water NOT to point straight down, trapping a column of air in the barrel surrounded by water, and firing the gun. It could blow up the gun. I don't plan on sticking my gun down into the water to shoot, anyway, but that's certainly a valid reminder. Like clearing the barrel of a service rifle (submerged, exposed to rain, etc) of water before shooting it.

Now, on a related subject ...

An off-center spring cup - at the seam where they meet at the front coil end of the spring - can potentially allow the end of a cup to lift and create drag. This could result in a light strike under the wrong circumstances.

Considering the Maritime cups have been relieved at the rim of the cup, I don't see them as being quite as robust as the regular cups.

I suspect that if Glock thought they were as robust as the standard design that they would use them as the standard cup design for all models ...

I don't even keep any Maritime cups on hand in my spare parts. Just standard cups.

Then again, I don't have to wade hip deep through swamps and marshes on a daily basis either, or jump into them from a boat ... (and also have to clean out my service weapon every day as a result, as well).

·
Bustin Caps
6,927 Posts
Sorry but I made it a bit bigger for our GT member with bad sight.

Thank you.
Sad, sad, sad.

You did it again.

That's twice now that you have said: "Glock says this so someone won't jump into the pool and pop off rounds".

My question is, "where does Glock say this?".

It is NOT on their web site, as the statement there WOULD lead someone to jump into the water and try it. ("Hey cool, the GLOCK website says with those cups, I can fire my gun underwater!"). That goes 180 degrees opposite of what you're saying.

Your armorer says "It's a common mis-conception..." Maybe because GLOCK SAYS IT WILL DO IT (ie, fire underwater)?

Dude, my mother warned me against going into a battle of wits against an unarmed man.... you're the person she was warning me about, huh?

Slow down, read what the website says ("you CAN fire the gun underwater"), and you'll realize how silly you're making yourself look.
1. If there's a misconception about it, it's of GLOCK's own making as THEY say it on their web site.
2. NOWHERE does GLOCK warn against doing it. I agree, they SHOULD say, "the gun can fire underwater, but do so only with proper tranining and equipment". But they don't. They simply say "these cups will allow you to shoot your gun underwater".

Read the website. Read what I wrote. And hang your hand in shame.
Sad.

·
Registered
24,005 Posts
I don't have marine cups and don't ever want them. Water ops SUCK! Been there, done that, don't ever want to do it again. Unless you are in need of coming out of the water and firing immediately there is no need for marine cups.

·
Registered
524 Posts
ok, ok, you got me, even tho this guy is employed by GLOCK and was acting in official capacity and as an offical rep. for GLOCK when he made the exact statement that "IT IS A MYTH THAT GLOCKS CAN SHOOT UNDER WATER, AND GLOCK STRONGLY ADVISES AGAINST SHOOTING YOUR GLOCK UNDER WATER"

So I'm guessing that even if these guys (the Armorer Instructor, and the area sales rep.) haven no clue what they are talking about...
Either way their checks have GLOCK on them so I would take their word over yours...

·
Registered
23 Posts
If my memory serves me correct, the maritime spring cups were designed for Miami PD. They wanted a service weapon that could fire when wet or underwater due to their officers working around and sometimes in the ocean.

·
Kill 'em All!!
1,125 Posts
You guys argue over the dumbest things...its so funny.

FWIW - my 2nd gen G22 was a LE trade in i bought and it had the water cups installed. I was surprised when I took it apart and saw them. Thought it was a 9mm item only.

Doesn't mean i will go shoot my gun underwater though. That's just silly.

Since we are on the topic of underwater shooting. Say you do fire off one round underwater, will the slide cycle enough to extract the round and feed the next one?

If not could you...in theory....shoot, then rack the slide by hand, and then shoot the next round, etc, etc, until your whole mag is empty?

Just something I've been wondering about lately.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Krimlin,
I don't think Ron is saying that he doesn't believe that the Glock rep said the words that you purport him to have said, he is just saying that his source is better than yours because it is verifiable via the Glock website.

Ron,
I do have to agree that the website language is unambiguous.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts