Marine Shotguns

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by BoodaGazelle, Jul 29, 2020.

Tags:
  1. BoodaGazelle

BoodaGazelle

I am looking at buying my first home defense shotgun. While I do not have a boat, I live near the beach, and it is quite humid and salty most of the time. Is it worth it to have one of the mariner shotguns just because of this? Otherwise, I would just look for the best combination of features and price, etc. Thanks in advance!

Bood

catman71 likes this.
  2. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Unless you are actually going to carry it out in the weather on a regular basis and/or on a boat you don't need a mariner model.

Good luck finding any shotguns in stock these days.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    Glockdude1, BoodaGazelle and L-2 like this.

3. wreckless

wreckless

I live right on the Gulf Coast...literally and only one of my shotguns is a Mariner model. The other four shotguns are blued or phosphate finished and none have corroded. I keep them inside an air conditioned home though. Also, do not put your gun safe in a non AC garage on the coast or you may have trouble.

4. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Any Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 will have everything you need, minus a white light for home defense.

The differences are minor. The Mossberg has an aluminum frame, better safety placement and holds one more round.

The 870 has a steel receiver and a little bit better aftermarket support IMO.

A light coat of oil will prevent rust on anything you buy.

As mac66 stated, good like finding one.

ranger1968 and Lt. Donn like this.
  5. NewYorker

NewYorker

I have the 590 Mariner model. Im not near the ocean but I wanted something extra. No regrets. Love it. If you can find one, grab it. I like the looks of it as well.

porschedog, glock1097 and Willard like this.
  6. Jack Black

Jack Black

My friend's 870 rusted while stored under his bed. We live in Vegas. As many have said, the quality of Remingtons has gone downhill.

7. glide

glide Just sayin'

I live in Hawaii where it is humid and salt air abound. Owned my Mossberg 500 Persuader for over a decade. No issues with corrosion. But of course, regular maintenance and running a cloth impregnated with CLP or Rem Oil on all metal surfacces helps.

Bus007, 835mag and dbak like this.
  8. Current Resident

Current Resident

In the humid environment you may try a coat of Johnsons paste wax or any automotive wax everytime you clean and maintain the shotgun.
    One or two applications on the steel surfaces everytime you clean your shotgun.

9. Schirmer77

Schirmer77

Mossberg parkerized 500, or my favorite: the model 590 and even one-up on that is the M590-A1. The 590-A1 has a nice milspec(whole gun is milspec) parkerization; gun and mag tube coating appears the same color and tone of military phosphate coatings. Marine shotguns are the ultimate, if you bought an M590-A1 mariner with marinecoat you’d never regret it. M590-A1 is THE pump shotgun. 870 is good though, and 870 has marine model as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. porschedog

porschedog

I’ve got a 590 marine version. No complaints.

11. Schirmer77

Schirmer77

The differences between 590 and 590-A1 is the A1 has metal safety, metal trigger guard, and I think the A1 is heavy walled barrel and 590 is not; but I’m not certain. Phosphate/parkerizing coatings may have differences as well. Everything on the A1 was to meet requests/demands of the military. Navy wanted heavy wall barrel.

12. slick slidestop

slick slidestop

I live on the Gulf Coast, and I would say it is not "necessary" if you are willing to keep your gun cleaned and lubed.

Not only do I have a couple of blued shotguns that I have used for duck hunting since the 70's and 80's that have seen their share of salt water over the years, but they also were submerged in 4 1/2 feet of saltwater during Hurricane Ike.

I was not allowed back into the city for a couple of days after Ike, retrieved all my guns, cleaned them thoroughly and had no rust. I did have one 1930's era Colt 38 Army special that rusted pretty bad, very quickly, but otherwise everything came out OK.....So the moral of my long-winded story is, keep it cleaned and lubed and if possible in a climate controlled location and you will have no issues.

Also for a home defense shotgun, I would rather have a blued or cerakoted dark finish than a stainless finish for the tactical advantage (low visibility)

13. Schirmer77

Schirmer77

Yep, and use a wipe down oil with VCI. I’m a firm believer in VCI like rem oil in pump spray bottle or rust inhibitor brand

14. reniram

reniram

Same issue with one of my 870s. Sent it back to Remington. They reparkerized it - the problem recurred within six months. They did send me an extra choke however :dancing: