Glock Talk banner

Marine Guard Standing Position

2092 Views 8 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  TxGun
At the Capitol building, 2 Marine guards were standing as if at parade rest, but with their fists together at their waist in front of their bodies. The one on the left had his feet together, the one on the right had his feet together. As it is unlikely that one of these men was wrong, can anyone advise of the symbolism here? What is their standing position called?
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· NRA Life Member
75,794 Posts
That doesn't sound like any position I know. Another drill sergeant was just making fun of them on facebook because one was standing a "parention" (half parade rest and half attention), however I was just picturing a guy standing at parade rest with his feet together - "fists together at their waist in front of their bodies" isn't a thing unless it is some rare and seldom scene Marine thing.

Maybe they just don't know what to do with their hands, now that there are grown men running DC again:

· Registered
7,158 Posts
I saw the same thing that the OP watched; and had the same questions about the position. Apparently, it is an accepted position for the sentries posted at the door of the West Wing whenever the President is in the Oval Office. I have no idea why there were two sentries in the video in question.
http://todaysmilitary.com/videos/marine-sentries

· Registered
8,591 Posts
I saw the same thing that the OP watched; and had the same questions about the position. Apparently, it is an accepted position for the sentries posted at the door of the West Wing whenever the President is in the Oval Office. I have no idea why there were two sentries in the video in question.
http://todaysmilitary.com/videos/marine-sentries
That position is what they expect of the security at the high end hotels and it rubs off on the White House detail.

· Registered
8,591 Posts
Without seeing the picture you're talking about, that sounds like the same position the guards at Panmunjom use.

Seriously creepy-azz place...
Every Veteran needs to have a tour in Korea on their resume. I enjoyed my time there. The USA has been there 66 years. Also nice comparing notes with other Vets who have been stationed there.

Reactions: Yucca-Man

· Registered
7,158 Posts
Every Veteran needs to have a tour in Korea on their resume. I enjoyed my time there. The USA has been there 66 years. Also nice comparing notes with other Vets who have been stationed there.
I am one of the few Infantry officers that I know who served 30 years of active duty without ever setting foot on Korea.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.