close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Marine Amphibious Ships?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Restless28, May 28, 2012.

1. Restless28

Restless28

Watching Heartbreak Ridge again got me wondering about Marine amphibious assault ships.

How many do we have? I assume that these are Navy vessels with Marine transport capability?

2. Eurodriver

Eurodriver

Marine amphibious ships...

You'll have to be more specific.

Every aircraft carrier is a "Marine amphibious ship" as they can launch Helos and put Marines in harms way.

Or do you mean ships capable of launching LCACs? The number of ships dedicated for that roll (Like the Tarawa class) would be around 20.

3. Restless28

Restless28

Ships like the Iwo Jima.

4. Chiefret

Chiefret

Here’s a good link to the different amphibious capabilities of the Navy/Marine Corps team. http://www.navy.mil/navydata/ships/amphibs/amphib.asp. You are correct in your assumption that the ocean going vessels are Navy assets. However, when the Marine Corps units embark aboard the ship they bring their war fighting assets with them. Wikipedia provides a pretty good synopsis of how the Navy/Marine Corps assets are utilized today, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_expeditionary_unit).

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  5. garyo

garyo Millennium Member

What Chiefret said. I miss my Marine Corps. days. Spent a lot of time on the both the Tarawa and the Tripoli. And as much fun as I had had being in the Marine Corps. I really did enjoy the time with my Navy brothers. My 2 WestPAC tours with them were about the most interesting and fun time I have ever had. I do believe that the Navy/Marine combination is the finest and deadliest team the world has ever seen.

6. mwelch8404

mwelch8404

USS Mobile, 1977 embarked Corpsman for (IIRC) Fortress-Lightning.

7. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

Good question, I have no idea how the Navy classifies them. I was with IIMEF on the USS Wasp, great ship, LCAC hovercraft in the belly, a whole artillery battery in there, Hueys, Cobras and Harriers on the deck.

8. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

I know when one or two show up off your coast with a carrier battle group third world dictators get real nervous.

The presence of two of them in the Persian Gulf before the start of Desert Storm had Saddam Hussein believing the American attack was going to start with an amphibious assault and he tied up a good portion of his troops trying to be ready for that. Of course the threatened amphibious assault was a deception. Even though it was a deception those ships still held several thousand marines that COULD have launched an amphibious assault.

9. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

Yeah, Baldy, I was part of that bluff. We announced to the world that we took the island off of Kuwait and were ready for the amphibious assault, when all the time we wanted them to rush to the beach while we hiked around the back door north of them, sealing them off, looking to pick a fight with the Republican Guard. They knew they were hosed from that moment forward. We were just making lateral artillery raids, shoot and move, they thought there were many more units out there than there actually were. The tank battles were something to see. They were out of range almost 100% of the time.

10. prism

prism more ammo

how did the Marines on those desert storm ships feel about missing the invasion? when did they go ashore?

11. devildog2067

devildog2067