close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Marietta, OH

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by CavScout76, Jul 18, 2012.

1. CavScout76

CavScout76

Next weekend, I plan on attending the GSSF Match in Marietta, Oh.
    After watching several videos showing the matches, I have noticed that when the shooter is engaging targets, they always seem to shoot left to right.
    My question is, how come they don't shoot the closest target first (the one that poses the most threat) and then engage accordingly?
    Maybe I am looking at this wrong, but military training kinda kicks in.
    Thanks

PS Got my E7 Saturday and damn proud of it!! Cav Pride

2. bryandover

bryandover

Because the targets are not threats and they will not hurt you. It is faster and smoother to shoot L-R or R-L and this is a competition.

3. SARDG

SARDG

Yep... in IDPA competition the targets are 'threats' and engaged near-to-far. In the simple GSSF (non-treat) arrays it is generally considered a waste of time to zig-zag around the course-of-fire. You may however, shoot them in any which way you choose - no matter how slow. :supergrin:

Most shooters shoot one way faster than another so figure out what's best for you - L-R or R-L.

Why I am following up a Bryan Dover post, I do not know... :embarassed:

ETA: BTW... congrats on the E-7! You'd be a 'Chief' in my neck of the woods... :)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  4. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

you are just going for fame by association

;o)

5. ede

ede Bama's Friend

Hi Bryan, good to see you here. My guess is most shooters go left to right because that's how they learned to read. I shoot the 5TG far then right side back to front and then left back to front or right to left depending on the arrangement. I shoot the M right to left regardless of arrangement. The Plates I shoot right to left. Mike says I could shoot at his pace if I went left to right, but it doesn't seem right to me. One advantage to shoot right to left is you're moving away from your brass and eliminating the chance of catching you brass, if you're quick like Mike.

6. ede

ede Bama's Friend

Jim you might want to let Kaye know I'll be at Marietta on Saturday but not ROing. Still if she wants to show a little something; as a former RO I'd still enjoy it. I might even be glad to see you too.

7. bryandover

bryandover

I have to agree with Mike, I go L-R on all set ups and have not caught any brass yet. But that's how he trained me. :upeyes: Didn't you know he was a instructor before he started competing. :shocked:

8. ede

ede Bama's Friend

Didn't know he was an instructor but I'm not suprised now that you mention it.
    I don't know why I did right to left, not because anyone told me it was better, it just seemed natural to me when I shot my first plate rack and then started doing the paper stages right to left. The original way I shot paper was stupid so any change was an improvement. I made a video of Mike Ross on the Plates and he caught a piece of his brass.
    My wife catches the brass down her shirt. Makes me laugh but she doesn't think it's funny.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  9. mike g35

mike g35

Yep I'm an instructor alright. Hang out with me and I'll teach you how to shoot crappy scores in the mid 90's to mid hundreds!!! LOL :)

10. mike g35

mike g35

Sorry bout that incorrect quote. Darn iPhone!!!

11. bryandover

bryandover

When I packed your ammo and shooting bag around for you in Dayton you gave me good advise. You told me to shoot twice as good of you and it seems to be working. :rofl:

12. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Yep, as others have said, GSSF does not fall in the Defensive shooting category. It is a speed/accuracy competition, very different. As is USPSA. You don't shoot "the closest threat", you engage in the order that's gonna give you the quickest time. Period.

In GSSF/USPSA competitions, it's all about the time (assuming good hits). Wasting time zig-zagging around with big transitions is bad. You want to make the shortest transition possible. That means starting at the far left or far right (whichever your preference) and then shooting each target as it falls under your sights.

As far as the L-to-R vs R-to-L... I think you'll see the majority going left to right. That's how our minds work. We're used to seeing things (like reading) from left to right. It's how our eyes are wired into our brains. At the same time... I think it's good to be able to do it in either direction. I prefer L-to-R, but some 5ToGs I shoot right to left.

A USPSA axiom is, when possible, to shoot far to near. The reason for that? The longer the string of fire, the more you'll tend to speed up. That's good *if* the later targets are getting closer to you. If those targets are further away and you're getting faster splits? Maybe not so good. I got that piece of advice from here:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1RKgJiQAtU"]Shooting Tips for USPSA Matches - YouTube[/ame]

That's why I shoot some 5ToG's right to left.... so my last two targets are closer to me. I do this on Version I, which is what Columbia usually uses.

However, I do NOT like my first target to be the 25 yarder. I'm still not as accurate as I'd like at that distance for my first shot. So for Version II of the 5ToG, I will usually go near to far, and just try to insure I slow down on those further targets. As I improve, I will change to shooting that one far to near.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  13. Gary1911A1

Gary1911A1

Your pistol should recoil straight up, but if it tends to recoil to one side or the other it would seem to me you should use it to decide what direction to go in. What do others think of this?

14. bryandover

bryandover

I think the gun recoils to your strong side.

15. mike g35

mike g35

:rofl::tongueout:

16. bryandover

bryandover

I like Mike or was that Ike?

17. CavScout76

CavScout76

Thanks all for the responses-hope to see/meet some of you there.

18. SARDG

SARDG

I won't be there; come to Conyers - everyone else is!

19. Alexd29

Alexd29 Go Bucks!

Put a sticker on your range bag with your user name and we will know who you are. :thumbsup:

20. SARDG

SARDG

CavScout- I trust you have registered in Guardian?