March NICS numbers!

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Railsplitter, Apr 4, 2020.

1. agtman

agtman 10mm Philosopher

Yep, they'll have FOUR more years to 'buy it cheap and stack it deep.' o_O

If those who didn't stock up this time around miss the next opportunity during Trump's second term, well, ... there was no saving them anyway. :whistling:

2. JamesIra

JamesIra

H&K 45 auto, Well said!

3. J_Rico

J_Rico

Freedom can be scary. Preferable to a 'safe' tyranny. I wish all those new gun owners the best. Some will still vote for tyranny. Some will have accidents.

Some may learn about guns and see the light. People at work know I have a standing offer to take new gun people to the range. Several have taken me up in it. I'll put my hide on the line teaching newbies which end is dangerous. Happy to do so.

Freedom is not free.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  4. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

Buying guns and ammo is an activity afforded to free people, glad to see that right being exercised.

Bus007 and J_Rico like this.
  5. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

Lots of records broken for gun sales. The interesting part for me is the graph below. I am guessing the cyclical spikes are Black Friday/Christmas purchases (on an annual basis), but the clear big deviations in 2009 (Obama elected), 2013 (Sandy Hook calls for gun restrictions), 2016 (San Bernadino, etc.), and 2020 (COVID-19).

The biggest takeaway for me, though, is WHAT they are buying. Handguns. Lots and lots of HANDGUNS! Often we see rifle (evil black rifle) sales spike when folks fear legislation impacting 2A Rights. But in this case, we see a crystal clear reach for handguns. Long guns are up just a smidge above the normal Black Friday/Christmas levels. But handguns?!? Through the roof!!!

It makes sense. Folks traditionally uncomfortable with guns probably couldn't look their friends in they eye if they bought an AR-15. But they want something, because they are scared, and seeking protection.

source: https://cnsnews.com/article/nationa...les-853-march-2020-likely-due-covid-19-crisis
    [​IMG]

6. IllinoisGun

IllinoisGun

LOL!

gamecocks likes this.
  7. IllinoisGun

IllinoisGun

Fear of new gun owners?

Nope! Opportunity..........

8. Pier23

Pier23 Silver Member

Were there any rationality to the reaction, maybe...

Are the Canadians invading Michigan and the masses need to respond to defend home and hearth?

Like hoarding toilet paper, the unthinking masses are behaving in an unthinking mass way.

These figures are to be regretted, not championed.

Kentucky Shooter likes this.
  9. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

I hear you, but I wasn’t thinking NICS numbers from March meant hoarding, but instead we are being led to believe it was a lot of new, first time buyers getting a gun for protection.

Now the empty ammo shelves all across the country to me suggests hoarding much more than gun sales and transfers.

10. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

This isn't hoarding it's gun owners topping of their inventories, preppers adding to their stash and new gun owners stocking up. Hoarding is what happened in 2012 with .22 ammo.

Kentucky Shooter likes this.
  11. gamecocks

gamecocks

That is as well as I've heard it stated. Sadly these days, way too many are way too willing to restrict us all over fears of those small numbers of folks.

12. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6 Fullclip's Life Matters! FLM!!

I can just imagine the moment when hundreds of zombie series buffs suddenly realized...this will become real!!!

Unknown.jpeg

13. J_Rico

J_Rico

Very sad to read of people *****ing about new gun owners on a gun forum!!

Restricting the freedom of the many out of fears over the few is just more gun control.

Railsplitter likes this.
  14. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

15. 0311INF

0311INF

Recognizing a right is different than condoning irresponsible behavior. Hell I knew trained Marines that shouldn't have had a rifle in their hands, at least one filled with ammo. More recently, some of the people who passed my CHP class actually scared me during the shooting portion. That doesn't mean I'm for gun control, but only a fool doesn't equate rights with responsibilities.

Railsplitter likes this.
  16. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Private side

I wonder how many of these were folks getting their guns out of pawn or taking them out of consignment?

17. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

True but without the rights everything else is irrelevant. I see new gun ownership more from a political perspective than anything else.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  18. CaliDBA

CaliDBA

I'm a 'decline to state' voter; my political philosophy is more from 'The Lord Of The Rings', in which a character named Treebeard said:

'I am not altogether on anyone's side because no one is altogether on my side'

I've only been shooting about 8 months (10/22, Glock 19, Predator); I recently took a 2-day General Rifle course (I mentioned in a different post about being the only female in a class of 8 other ex-military/current law enforcement (I was definitely out of my league), and at the end, being able to hit the center of a head silhouette at 100 yards with a Predator, 6.5 Creedmoor - never thought I could do something like that - the guys cheered for me, and that meant a lot!)

Before all the ranges were closed due to the coronavirus, I tried to get to a range twice a month; I shoot because I really enjoy it very much - there's nothing like the satisfaction of hitting a target! I could shoot for a hundred years, and I'd still need to be reminded of The Four Laws Of Firearm Safety, and learn about being a better shooter through training - I hope to always be humble, be careful and be safe...

gamecocks and OldDad like this.
  19. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

We should have an Entmoot together...

In all of this gun buying stampede, I am looking at my guns that I never seem to shoot and think "Do I really need that SKS? That Makarov? That G22? That second P226? That Shield and Bodyguard? That Enfield? The XD45? They are selling guns during this panic buying for decent prices, maybe I should take advantage of the insanity and sell while people are scrambling to buy! Include some ammo from my piles to sweeten the pot...".

And then I end up doing nothing. But it is tempting to sell some guns to fund some more luxurious purchases. Anyone else tempted to let some rarely used items go?

20. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

March was the top gun sales month of any month in history (3.7M NICS checks). April broke all prior April sales total records. And now...

...the May numbers are in. No surprise. Once again they obliterated the prior May gun sales records. By almost 700,000 checks!

Given the current violence, anxiety, and fear, I have little reason to believe June will be much different.

3,091,455 NICS checks were conducted in May 2020 (previous record of 2,349,309 checks set in May 2019). Source: https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/nics_firearm_checks_-_month_year.pdf/view

upload_2020-6-2_13-24-21.png