March 6, 1983 - Motorola Dynatac 8000x; 1st commercial cell phone.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Gallium, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Gallium

Gallium CLM

2. exmdshooter

exmdshooter WWJMBD?

Had a bag phone in my wife's car for a while... what a beast... it had a separate battery in the bag so you could lug it around and use it outside the car if desired, so it was sort of portable. Pretty cool at the time. Also had a StarTac as a work-issued phone when they first came out. That thing was the stuff. Come a long way, haven't we?

3. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

I owned a star tac... I LOVED that phone!

4. hammerkill

hammerkill Allegheny General

I got my first cell phone in Nov 1989. It was as big as a laptop and put out a full 5 watts. I paid 8oo bucks for it and got 120 minutes a month for $11.95, It would pick up a cell tower from up high on a ridge in the hills 60 miles away.

5. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

Now we are at maybe 1/3 of a watt? I swear I have no signal in areas which used to have coverage. I don't understand why there are still dead zones. Actually I do, and it pisses me off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747

6. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

Wife had one of those, it was our second cell phone. Our first was a bag phone permanently installed in my car. She worked for Cellular One in the early '90s and they gave them free to employees as a perk.

I loved the scene in Lethal Weapon where the detective is talking on his bag phone. More portable than a phone booth.

[​IMG]

7. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head CLM

I still have my Star-Tac. It still works and holds a charge. Eric

8. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

I had one of those massive Motorola models. With teh slim battery that gave you 10 min of talk time, seemingly. And the button-antenna. That was 91. What utter crap they were.

Ditto for StarTac phones. Please. Gimme today's phones every day. I hated phones you had to open to see who was calling.

Remember not being able to use your phone across state lines without roaming charges??? How did they get away with that????? As if the equipment by Nynex or Cell One was vastly different in the NEXT TOWN OVER! That had to have been 19th century thinking to a 20th century invention for sure. "Oh yeah, we'll design them around state borders. Yeah. So the tariffs will be easier. Brilliant!"

And I'm not talking about you are on Company X and the next state was Company Y so you were borrowing another company's signal. SAME COMPANY! Worst was - you couldn't get INCOMING calls out-of-state. Those were dark times indeed. LOL

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  9. tango44

tango44

My father had one of those, we were not allowed to use it because it was too expensive!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  10. CAcop

CAcop

My mom had one of those for emergencies for her trips from Stockton to San Jose.

11. LippCJ7

LippCJ7

I had one also, tough as nails, I dropped it off my motorcycle, had it in my back pocket and it blew the stitching it was so big.

Yeah I will take modern phones but its pretty cool to see just how much technology is changing us

to those of you who said your father had one, you can suck wind LOL

12. Detectorist

Detectorist

Ok, I won't say it. It was my Grandad who had one. :tongueout:

13. skorper

skorper harborrat

Yeah. I remember that. My memory recall goes by what songs were playing at the time.

That was just about the "Wikki Wikki Wikki Wikki" "Let the Music Play" zone. What ever happened to Shannon anyway?