close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Many Qusetions about GSSF comps...

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by GPE427, Jan 31, 2005.

1. GPE427

GPE427

I'm fairly new here at GT, and have put a lot of thought about getting into GSSF competitions. I have a G17 and still need (a lot) more practice.

1st question: Stock class, are night sights OK? I'm having a heck of a time getting used to the stock sights. What about a 3.5 lb trigger?

2nd question: Where can I practice 25 yard shooting, I have a year membership at The Firing Line in Aurora, CO, but it's only 50 feet deep.

3rd question: What can I do to "practice" when I'm not shooting, I can only shoot (afford) 3-400 rounds a week.

Any tips on shooting more accurately, (I know I'm jerking the gun on my trigger pull) and I'm shooting better with one hand than both.

Is anybody here planning on Greeley?

Any advice will be appreciated.

2. TrooperDan

TrooperDan

Night sights are fine as long as they are not fiber optic front sights (unless blacked out with tape/paint). 3.5 pound connector is likewise OK in Am Civ/Guardian. As for 25 yard practice, I cannot help you there! Practice is practice, even if you can't duplicate the Course of Fire

3. Mark L Miller

Mark L Miller

If you have no access to a 25yrd range, can you reduce the size of the nra d-1 proportionately to the 50' you can shoot in? I don't know what the proportions would be but I am sure someone here would have an idea. Even if your range won't let you use any targets but theirs, you could make your reduced size target & draw it on the range targets. That might help a bit. There is no appreciable drop in a 25 yrd shot so no adjustment needs to be made for bullet drop. Also, check out the GSSF tips that Bobby Carver put together. They are at the top of this forum. One thing that really helps a lot is the reaction to the timer hints. Actually all the hints are excellent so take them one at a time to your range & have some fun! Dry firing is another excellent way to get in practice & is absolutely free. Get some kind of a mechanism that makes a single beep noise & use it for your dry fire & for your reaction to the buzzer practice. Another thing is to study the grips that are posted around here & there. I believe the one on www.mattburkett.com is one of the best. It is also a free resource. Only takes time!
    Good Luck, & have fun!
    Mark L Miller
    edited to add a couple of things. One, if you are practicing at the range & you are having a bad time. Stop wasting ammo! Save it for another day. Another thing is work on the fundamental stuff, trigger reset, sight picture, etc a lot for a couple of days before the match. Don't shoot a lot of ammo just before the match.

4. bcutrufelli

bcutrufelli

i dont know how far you are from the but I used to shoot up at the pawnee grasslands north of fort collins plenty of room out there and no charge;) another good place is to roll up into the foothills. Eigther place watch out for snakes in the summer. Oh ps dont kills the sankes or prarie dogs at pawnee if someone sees you youll be in some sh**.

5. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

One other thing about sights; they must be notch & post, versus the shallow-Vee & dot of so-called 'express' sights.

Observing all normal safe practices, put some type of target area up (basement wall, across the room) about 10-15 yds away if possible, if it must be closer, make it smaller. Practice a relaxed grip & stance that lets you bring the gun up & puts that front-sight exactly where you want it - deliberately make the "dry" shot and notice if there's movement of the front sight afterwards. Repeat PRN. Also, lots of tips in the great stickied thread at the top of the forum. :Worth reading many times.

I certainly hope to make Greeley and hope to breeze thru MN on the way and snag some other compadres for the trip. ^c

6. RONNIE J

RONNIE J CLM 300 Lifetime Member

QUESTION FOR DANNY

DANNY, I HAVE BEEN LOOKING OVER THE GSSF SITE AND HAVE FOUND A LOT OF INFO BUT NOT REALLY ANYTHING THAT EXPLAINS JUST WHERE A GUN FALLS AND WHAT YOU CAN AND CAN'T DO TO KEEP IT STOCK..

SO HELP US OLD "YOUNGENS" OUT WITH WHERE TO FIND THE INFO----

I FOUND THE STAGES AND UNDERSTAND THEM

BEST

RON

7. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

http://www.gssfonline.com/glockrpt/archives/2004vol_1.pdf

Ron;

Hope you don't mind if I chime in with your answer. Danny is my good friend and is on the road quite a lot and I don't know if he is home or on the road right now. The above hot link goes to www.gssfonline.com and "The Glock Report 2004 Vol. 1 starting with paragraph 40.00 you will see the definition of stock and mods that are allowed and not allowed. Probably late next month the new 2005 Glock Report Vol. 1 will be out but this area is pretty standard.

Hope this helps, if it triggers any more question just ask.

8. RONNIE J

RONNIE J CLM 300 Lifetime Member

DON,
    THANKS A BUNCH, DOWNLOADED THE PDF AND WILL READ UP TONIGHT--GUESS I HAD FOUND IT AND JUST DID NOT KNOW WHERE TO LOOK.

THANKS

RJ

9. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Ron; you are quite welcome. Glad to help whenever I can. I shot the Indy Match last year but will not make it this year. The range is layed out really nice. The only extra challenge I noticed was the shooting bays were almost like shooting at an indoor range. I understand why they have to be that way but the extra shadows do produce a bit of a challenge on old eyes.

Do plan on making Lexington again, we have been up there the last 4 years and have thoroughly enjoyed every trip. Probably will only shoot 11 GSSF Matches this new season instead of the 12 I have done this season after Orlando on 19th/20th of Feb.

10. GPE427

GPE427

Thank You for all your replies, I'm getting better already!