Manual storage

Discussion in 'Glock Collector's Club' started by L.A.Tactical, Sep 19, 2020.

1. L.A.Tactical

L.A.Tactical

So first, a fortuitous story: last weekend, I stopped by at a gun show because there was nothing else happening last weekend. Normally, I don't find anything in the way of collectible Glocks, but it's always fun to go hunting anyway.
    At this show though, I happened on a pair of 21Cs and snagged them for $600! Couldn't believe they were that cheap so I figure I'll sell one to pay for the pair.
    But then things got better: I found a very nice "CM" prefix with matching bullet box and an '86 manual priced at $850. I didn't even bargain, just got the cash. A little later on that day, I was at a friend's table when someone came up and asked if they had any early Glocks. I showed him the new one and he made an offer I couldn't turn down: $500 cash and a new Sig M18 (which is currently selling on gunbroker for $999). Here's the kicker, I didn't remember the '86 manual so then I had a spare that I needed to take care of.
    Instead of re-inventing the wheel, I figured comic book collectors already had this figured out and picked up this starter kit. Has acid free sleeves and storage bin. I've now got all my early manuals sorted, tagged with what gun they belong with and protected for long term storage. Starter kit is on Amazon for $50 with bin, sleeves, and cardboard backers.
    DDDD7AEC-6312-4721-84E2-9EFF937DD375.jpeg 232C4442-910A-4730-B5E0-2401866947C3.jpeg

gunlove, FireMedic-50, davedc and 7 others like this.
  2. mbar9607

mbar9607

If you ever want to sell that 86 manual I need one for my AZ prefix 17

3. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

Freaking awesome. WOW!! What luck. Of course, "luck" generally befalls the informed buyer. Well done!!!

I've long used archival sleeves. I think that I discussed this in detail some time ago. I do store them flat however for the long term to avoid any buckling, etc. Yours have backing cards which is excellent. Still, over time, I think that flat is the way to go.

premiertactical likes this.
  4. 58sniper

58sniper Gold Member

I store the printed materials in comic book sleeves with backers as well - but only the ones that go along with tupperware cases. Those that come in clamshell cases stay in the cases.

I get the sleeves and backers from a seller on ebay, and store them in periodical boxes from Gaylord.

5. L.A.Tactical

L.A.Tactical

I know there are many threads on storage--especially of the guns and some of the past threads have led me to rethink the best methods for the printed materials and tupperware. Do you guys have tips on how to keep the labels from peeling off your tupperware?

gunlove likes this.
  6. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

I think the best way to prevent this is to store them in environment that has approximately 50% humidity with a temperature of about 65 to 70゚ both of which stay constant year round and of course with no light to degrade the print.

Adam4 and premiertactical like this.
  7. patcrad

patcrad

This may go against some museum rules somewhere, but it's a Glock label, so.....

When I have original labels that are beginning to curl or peel off, I use a heat gun (on low) and remove the label completely. I clean the tupperware box and re-glue the label back onto the original location. Depending on the condition of the label, I have used "Yes!" brand stikflat archival paste with a very thin application over the entire back of the label. I have also used Scotch brand 3M Photo Mount spray. I believe a label that is properly affixed on all corners and edges will prevent further curling, ripping, tearing, etc., which is very common on these.

"Yes!" Paste/Glue - This all-purpose, lay flat, white glue won't buckle paper. It's used by many professionals, including bookbinders, printers, libraries, and greeting and sample card makers. Yes Stikflat Glue is an acid-free, smooth flowing adhesive, and is permanently flexible. Low odor and easy clean-up.

3M Photo Mount 4-1/4 Ounce Spray Adhesive
    • Spray adhesive for photos illustrations and more
    • PH neutral photo safe clear non-yellowing non-staining

58sniper, Adam4 and glockhoarder like this.
  8. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

I have glued labels back one before as well.

I purchased purpose made archival glue for that purpose from different conservation companies.

gunlove and 58sniper like this.
  9. L.A.Tactical

L.A.Tactical

I only have a couple that currently need such attention, but am thinking about long term preservation as well. Just read through a storage thread from earlier this summer and will be purchasing some archival material. I think I'll then wrap the boxes with the archival shrink wrap and that way the labels can't ever detach.

gunlove likes this.
  10. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

I'd just be careful about air tight wrapping. Can trap humidity, etc. I'd be sure to wrap them in an environment with about 50% humidity. Too dry or too humid will hurt them.

I have zero affiliation but I love this company for all manner of archival stuff:

https://www.gaylord.com/

Adam4, gunlove and 58sniper like this.
  11. gunlove

gunlove

You guys got me reading more today on archiving. Well done and great points!

Thanks for the link glockhoarder, lots of good archiving all in one place.

Here's some good plastic sleeve archival info recourse links:
    https://www.keepfiling.com/archival-safety-a/134.htm
    This goes through the safe materials to look for.

I am going to stick with vacuum sealing manuals. The vacuum definitely makes them flat too. The bags appear to be polyethylene inside and nylon/polyethylene outside, which appears safe.
    https://nomnompaleo.com/post/12463202060/cooking-sous-vide-plastic-safety

DSC02908.JPG

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  12. gunlove

gunlove

I also do 3mil polyethylene comic book slips for ads and literature. Vacuum works on the thick manuals I don't want to ever look at or read but not on folding paper tri-folds I want to look at etc.

13. 58sniper

58sniper Gold Member

Gaylord (which Glockhoarder recommended a while back) has some great products. I store things like Glock Annual mags in comic book bags with backers in Gaylord's periodical boxes, and stored flat. I apply a label to the outside and stack these several high.
    https://www.gaylord.com/Preservatio...oard-Deep-Lid-Print-Box/p/HYB02339?mpcCode=ZZ

Manuals, packets, and other printed materials that come with pistols go into comic book bags with backers then vertically into tall boxes from Gaylord
    https://www.gaylord.com/Preservatio...riodical-&-Comic-Book-Box/p/58031A?mpcCode=ZZ

I also got some white cotton gloves from them, as well as a brayer, which I use to flatten things out - like when I'm putting a full size molle panel on one of my safe doors. https://www.gaylord.com/Preservatio...er-Tools-&-Supplies/Brayer/p/57069?mpcCode=ZZ

Only issue I've had with Gaylord is their shipping can be a bit steep. But other than that, they've got just about everything I need.

gunlove likes this.