close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Manned Moon missions cut

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by RonS, Jan 29, 2010.

1. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

IMHO, this may be the worst decision in human history. America has turned inward and become so myopic and selfish that we are dooming ourselves to the dust bin of history, a failed experiment. All of those people who said that democracy could not work because the average person is too stupid to manage their own affairs, much less the affairs of a nation were right. I hope whatever form society takes in the future does a better job.

2. Daps

Daps Always Vigilant

Dang I was hoping they would go back to the moon in my lifetime. I have no interest in a Mars mission if they're still talking about that...

I actually wish we weren't doing the ISS and instead doing lunar stuff.

3. devildog2067

devildog2067

I would like to see the exact reasoning laid out. In some ways, further manned missions to the moon are a waste--they're unlikely to teach us any new science.

In other ways, though, manned missions to the moon are the best practice we're going to get for manned missions to other places. Therefore unless we're cutting manned lunar missions in order to put the funds into manned missions to other places, I think this is a big mistake.

4. mike7465

mike7465 Smirking

Good, I think that those missions are a waste of time and money.
    NASA has been one screw up after another, at tremendous cost. Tell them to get on the ball, create some innovations that make my life a ton better then they can have their budget. Where is my flying car? Personal robot? NASA isn't doing this stuff, private industry is. NASA is the Hubble, the space station (AKA money pit that produced nothing.)

5. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

6. dahahn

dahahn

Given that I'm going to school (whenever I can get the money to do so) for Astronomy/Astrophysics, it makes me sad to hear that moon missions are kaput. Frankly there's nothing else to be done on the Moon, except build a base/supertelescope there. A Moon base would make missions inside the Solar System much easier, and a Very Large Array-type setup would yield results better than Hubble. Hubble is aging, and it's orbit will slowly decay such that it falls to Earth. A Moon telescope would be permanent, and since it's on the far side of the Moon, it would never have Earth's reflected light to compete with.

Also, Moon missions get the American public excited for space. The ISS does not. Speaking of...I wish we would do Moon missions instead of ISS missions. Low Earth Orbit (LEO) missions have yielded very little for humanity compared with the $trillions they have cost (with the exception of Hubble).

7. MidWestShooter

MidWestShooter

This is not NASA's intent. A NASA manned moon mission is a waste of money. How about we give some of NASA's money to NOAA. I'd support that.

8. sarge83

sarge83

NASA money is some of the best money the gov. spends. The innovations from the manned space program alone have repaid the citizens of this country three fold.

Here are just a few:

-very accurate topography mapping radar
    -miniaturized ventricular-assist pump has been successfully implanted into several people. Initially called the NASA/DeBakey heart pump, it is based in part on technology used in space shuttle fuel pumps.
    -TV Satellite Dish
    -Medical Imaging
    -Ear Thermometer
    Instead of measuring temperature using a column of mercury (which expands as it heats up), this thermometer has a lens like a camera and detects infrared energy, which we feel as heat. The warmer something is (like your body), the more infrared energy it puts out. This technology was originally developed to detect the birth of stars.
    -Fire Fighter Equipment
    Fire fighters wear suits made of fire resistant fabric developed for use in space suits.
    -Smoke Detector
    First used in the Earth orbiting space station called Skylab (launched back in 1973) to help detect any toxic vapors. Now used in most homes and other buildings to warn people of fire.
    -Also the small computers on your desk, laptops and phones

Just to name a few. Yeah they have had some screw ups but many more success stories and this is one of the few gov. programs which yields good returns.

By establishing a base on the moon we can learn how to live long term on different worlds and prepare for missions to Mars. You just can't wipe out 45 yrs. of manned exploration and then decide in five years, oh we need to have manned exploration again and expect it to suddenly just be there. Lots of experts are going to take other jobs and experience and the apparatus and knowledge for putting a man in space will just be gone. This is a very short sighted and stupid decision, but then again who made it...

9. devildog2067

devildog2067

What's your reasoning behind that? We can build intereferometeric visible light telescopes on Earth, just fine. The real advantage to a telescope on the moon would be in submillimeter-band astronomy, but we already have orbital submillimeter telescopes in operation right now. Herschel launched last spring. What would be the justification for a scope that costs 100,000x as much on the moon?

10. MoJo33

MoJo33

Honestly, I'm one who feels we MUST go into space. Although the moon mission would have been cool a mission to mars or venus makes a lot more sense.

Spending money on research to explore space always pays back 10 fold. Remember the economy always feels the boost of technological advances that are achieved from this kind of endeavor.

11. Landor

Landor

Going to the moon is the first step to populating the moon. Yes we been there but the technology we used to get there is so out of date now that we have to start over. The USA should of never stopped going to the moon. We could have a colony there by now but they just dropped it like a bad habit and now our space tech is out of date. If another country populates the moon first they might be able to control what happens there. Do you really want China or India to control the moon?

12. keninnavarre

keninnavarre bulletproof

We should have a permanent station on the Moon. No doubt in my mind. The Moon is the stepping stone to our solar system, and beyond.

If we dont, someone else will.

Earth is going to get really crowded one day, you know. :whistling:

As previously posted, its going to really suck if the Chinese beat us there.

And what would be a more logical spot for a permanent deep space telescope than our natural satellite, the Moon?

Most all our technology trickled down from the space program and military tech.

13. dahahn

dahahn

I was thinking something like this:

http://www.wired.com/science/space/news/2007/05/liquid_telescope

EDIT: Boldened "relative." It's still going to be expensive, but worth it. Then again, I'm highly biased.

14. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

Oh ye of little vision.

True, it is difficult to see the real reward for going into space, especially for those rather..........................uh, myopic folks. But unless mankind expects to spend it's entire run here, which it can't do.................we'd better get on the stick.

Now some are quite comfortable indeed with the thought of staying here, ignorant folks that they appear to be. So, just don't let 'em come along. Probably be a better "new society" anyway. But with the knowledge that the "govt" will most likely pick who goes first, I'll probably wait and take the forth or fifth group. You know, the one that crashes on a beautiful planet full of shooting ranges left behind by a more advanced society..........and is never heard from again, on purpose.

15. mike7465

mike7465 Smirking

I knew about some of those, not all but some.

They don't seem like they have done much for me lately. Given the money we are putting in we aren't getting much out.

16. Just1More

Just1More

Good. Money should be spent solving earths problems instead of digging in the dirt on the moon and mars.

17. tous

tous GET A ROPE!

For the 'gee, there's no more science there,' Philistines ...
    How the Hell do you know?

The last manned lunar mission was in 1972 and only ... what? twelve men (all Americans) have ever walked on the Moon and for a total duration of perhaps less than five danged days. So you claim that man learned all that there is to learn about the Moon in five days? With 1972 technology?

Now, I appreciate devildog's remarks in the sense that his rice bowl is physical science that can be done on Earth. It is natural for one with such an interest to be skeptical if not openly hostile to anything that might divert funds and interest away from his gig. Science is not immune to jealousy and 'me first, all others be damned.'

For those who didn't grow up in the 1950s and 1960s, I can't tell you how many kids were inspired to study the sciences and mathematics simply because of John Glenn and Alan Shepard. What do we replace that awe with? AmeriCorps? Becoming yet another sleazy lawyer?

May I remind you of the words of John F. Kennedy.

So it is not surprising that some would have us stay where we are a little longer to rest, to wait. But this city of Houston, this state of Texas, this country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them. This country was conquered by those who moved forward - and so will space.

But why, some say, the moon? Why choose this as our goal? And they may well ask why climb the highest mountain? Why, 35 years ago, fly the Atlantic? Why does Rice play Texas?

We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon ... we choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too.

18. Mnukedude

Mnukedude Lurking

Well, Obama did promise to cut funding for everything useful for defending the country in some of his speeches before election. He's just delivering on the promise. We need to save lots of money for entitlement programs anyway, don't we?:rant:

At any rate, I think his vision for america is tt make it look more like China, where the governemtn owns the economy, so it seems natural that he would want them to take the lead in space matters.

19. El_Ron1

El_Ron1 AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

20. Steve0853

Steve0853

Good. I'm tired of them wasting money exploring space and doing stuff no other humans in history have ever done.

Some of the problems that the U.S. needs to deal with before they waste a bunch of money shooting stuff into space:

1) There's so many single mothers out there who cannot afford more children on the small welfare checks that they are getting. We can do better.

2) There's and increasing demand for affordable housing. Those billions of dollars shot off into space would provide thousands of Section 8 housing units. Not everyone can have a big fine job and go to work everyday.

3) Some Chicago politicians have had to lay off housekeeping and landscaping staff as graft money from private industry has dried up. Someone has to step up. That's what government is for, to do those things that the private sector can't.

4) National health ain't gonna fund itself. Its time for America to do the right thing on free health care.

5) Many other companies could benefit from differing "bailouts". We have a choice. We can blow money into space or use it here to save American (unionized) companies.

These are just a few good uses for money that is currently being wasted by NASA. I'm sure anyone with half a brain could add more.

The above was sarcasm, just in case the obvious button is broken on your computer.....:wavey::wavey: