close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mandatory Shotgun Qualification and Carry

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by jnc36rcpd, Feb 20, 2010.

1. jnc36rcpd

jnc36rcpd

For those who have not transtioned to the rifle, do your agencies mandate officers qualify with the shotgun even if they do not carry one? Does anyone mandate a shotgun be taken out on patrol? Thanks and be safe.

2. sargespd

sargespd

There was no option at my department. The shotguns were carried racked in the cruiser, and all officers, including investigators and admin, were required to qualify with them. Even after the shotguns were replaced with AR's we still qualified with the shotgun, even though they were no longer carried in the car.

3. Goldstar225

Goldstar225 NRA member

We've added the AR-15 to the shotgun this past year for patrol. The shotguns stayed in play. All sworn members must qualify with the shotgun.

4. Gangrel

Gangrel

Shotguns are in every vehicle, as well as LL shotguns
    Some officers carry rifles, but they're not standard

5. Narc1911

Narc1911 Anchora Salutis

Before we got rifles for all of patrol each car had a shotgun in the rack. Everyone on patrol was required to qualify on them. There was no requirement to take the shotgun out on calls. There were many guys that never took their shotguns out of the car except to qualify. I had mine out at least once a week, often multiple times a night.

For awhile we had 870's and AR 15's, but since I left patrol they changed all the 870's to less lethal.

6. SPDSNYPR

SPDSNYPR Zippy's Friend.

Shotguns are in every vehicle, lethal up front in the rack as well as LL shotguns in cases in the trunk. The shotgun is assigned to the car.

Rifles are mandatory carry, but are issued to the officer. We are required to qual with everything at least once a year, some twice a year.

We are looking at issuing the shotguns to officers that want them only instead of them being assigned to the cars for various reasons.

7. Steve in PA

Steve in PA

We have rifles and shotguns. Everyone qualifies with their handgun (duty, off-duty and back up) rifle and shotgun.

8. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

Well, we qualify with all of what we usually qualify with, but what we carry depends on the outside post, or situation. I know routinely carrying a shot gun and a pistol is on perimeter patrol, but for certain outlying posts if they are started up we have rifles as well. Plus, all of the other toys.

9. blueiron

blueiron

No shoulder fired weapons are mandated.

10. CanIhaveGasCash

CanIhaveGasCash

We have rifles and LL shotguns. We qualify with the shotguns once a year and the rifle every quarter.

11. acpd442

acpd442

All sworn officers and some non-sworn officers are required to qualify with shotguns. My wife use to be a dispatcher and she had to qualify since they kept one in the secure area of the dispatch center.

12. Aquanewt

Aquanewt

Shotgun (Remington 870's) are carried in certain cars but qualification is not mandatory for them. Only quailified Officers are allowed to use them. SWAT officers qualify with their issued long gun and keep it with them 24/7 (except when on vacation and then they are secured at the unit armory) Each District has an armory with extra 870's and ammunition. LL shotguns and tazers are available to quailified officers. Any officer regardless of assignment can request quailification, however tazers are only issued to Uniform Patrol (there are a few exceptions) I'm shotgun quailified even though I fly a desk now.

13. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

I love the little 14" Remington 870 shotguns we qualify with, how often do we non-operators get to play with Class III weapons? I shoot it everytime I get to the range, sometimes I fail quals just to shoot it again and again on requals.

14. Gangrel

Gangrel

I'm pretty sure you'd have to be blind and suffering from vertigo to fail shotgun quals

15. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Oh believe me, it has happened.

16. CanIhaveGasCash

CanIhaveGasCash

Our AR's have 10" barrels... so every quarter.

17. i8547

i8547 Without Equal

We qualify on all firearms four times per year. Handgun and Shotgun are mandatory, but carrying the shotgun is not mandatory. M-4 and UMP 40 is optional.

18. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Really beats the Mini-14 Ranch rifle in CDI factor by a lot... don't it?

19. RF7126

RF7126

:drool:

20. GPalmer

GPalmer CLM

Wow, that's an awful short barrel to get expansion out of. I have a 10.5" in 5.56 ad I'd want more effective range for general carry.