Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you support a Bill that made Basic Training a mandatory requirement for all 18-year olds in this country?

Why or why not?

·
IWannaBeSedated
11,448 Posts
What is the legislative goal/intent that lawmakers would be trying to achieve?

For me, the prima facia deciding factor about what makes a good law is the clarity of its goal/intent and my personal opinion as to the validity of that goal. Floating a potential law as you're doing without stating the legislative goal/intent is useless IMO. I'd have to know why they want to do it.

·
Meat on a Steek
231 Posts
No. This is not Israel and we are not always verged at the brink of war.

However, comma, as a guy who has been in the military for 20 years...I support America's support for us.

I have seen plenty of troopers complete Basic Training, come to the unit, and behave badly. BT can't make you a "good egg"...it only works to those with the right mind-sight. (I'm Army and ex-USAF...so I can't speak about Navy/Marines).

My .02 cents.

·
Registered
5,395 Posts
What would be the point?

·
Long Trail
2,476 Posts
No I wouldn't, don't see the reason, or the need.

·
Registered
8,725 Posts
Have you seen what kids look like coming out of high school these days?

I see the insurance industry's risk assessment for heart attacks in the 18-24 group sky rocketting over night.

then again, the way my nephews and nieces play xbox.....they would smoke the shooting portion of it

·
Banned
747 Posts
We would spend an awful lot of time, money, and effort trying to train a bunch of useless crap-birds, and those crap-birds would be taking time, money, and effort away from those with the potential to be good soldiers.

So no. The military should not be a punishment, a fat farm, a self-improvement course, or a job training program.

·
The Bombdiggity
28,787 Posts
No. Not everyone needs it. It doesnt work on everyone and it isnt for everyone. A people are either free to chose such things or they are not very free.

I understand that some people just have a hard time getting past some things such as "we are losing our ways" or "if you cant (insert skill set of the past) you are useless..." and other such nostalgic thinking.

I would offer you this, while we must be careful to ensure our warrior class is highly regarded and preserved, in case the need arises, however, the true mark of success is not how many warriors you have buy how few you need.

·
Banned
5,471 Posts
No, boot is introduction to military life and service it would be a waste of money without a stated goal of more training to follow.

I would love to see some programs where people could Voluntarily take classes from AD/TYD or NG in all manner of things ranging from medical, firearms, Marine Corps Martial Arts Program, and everything in between.

·
NRA Life Member
65,997 Posts
It's already all of those things.
It is marketed as a job training program, no doubt. And like anything that is physically and mentally difficult, it can't avoid being a self-improvement course. But a fat farm that won't accept the overweight and kicks them out if they become overweight later? A punishment that won't accept anyone with a pending criminal charge, unfinished sentence or criminal record showing serious moral issues?

I disagree with half of what you said.

·
Meat on a Steek
231 Posts
Bull crap @ Bill! I have spent 4 tours of duty in Iraq with some of the finest troopers in America...it is NOT a "fat farm". Saying that is ignorant. We no longer NEED everyone who applies. Sure, we were thin when my boy Bush had us in both theaters...allowing Moral Waivers and extending money to many, many MOSs - but now, just like after EVERY war, America can't stomach a large standing Army and we are being decreased by 30K.

Unfortunately, we cannot always recruit the "best"...but I have seen some garrison dirt-bags pick up a rifle, man a guntruck, and kick some major ass in combat. Maybe parenting and teaching is the root...whaaaattt? OMG, really...can it be on those who raise these kids rather than the Govt to fix y'alls problems???? Please, can't be on the parents....

My .04 cent rant. I've earned it.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts