Managers, what would you do.....

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Detectorist, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Detectorist

Detectorist

Those are my thoughts, too.

glock_collector likes this.
  2. Intolerant

Intolerant

I lost count over the years i`ve seen and heard things, and had supervisors asked me what i saw. Saw what? I dont have any idea what you`re talking about. I`m here to make money, not friends.
    Hogan`s Hero`s Sargent Schultz = I SEE N-O-T-H-I-N-G!

3. Trucker3573

Trucker3573

If that scenario causes your company to lose a contract there is probably a lot more wrong and maybe seeking employment elsewhere would be a good idea. Still wouldn’t involve myself. This just creates an untrustworthy work environment among colleagues and leads to back and forth retaliatory BS and puts a target on your back.

My work environment kind of suffers from this. People with less seniority wanting better runs that will throw anyone under the bus above them for about anything. Best to not engage and just worry about yourself sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Speleothem

Speleothem

Turn up the music! :music:

Intolerant and Detectorist like this.
  5. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller A swamp dude

You guys have described a work environment that I have a hard time relating to. Toxic. Employees ignore others violating serious policies and other bad stuff. Not much fun to work in such places,

6. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

I'll just tell my story.

I built a plant in northern LA for my company and then stayed to manage it for a while. I hired employees to operate it including office and laboratory staff. Things went swimmingly for a while and then after six months I noticed that Melba ( one of the Secretaries ) and Rose ( one of the lab techs ) were not getting along. Melba would get almost physically ill whenever Rose came into the office and she would no interact with Rose.

A while later, Melba asked to speak with me privately and we went to my office. She asked me if I would fire Rose and if I didn't, she would have to quit. I was a bit taken aback and asked why should I do that.

After a while she said . " Rose is sleeping with my husband ".

:alex:

More info than I needed. I explained to her that I hired hired them both based on their qualifications and they were both doing a good job. I couldn't fire Rose and that I would hate to lose her ( Melba ). She didn't quit ( it was a very good job in a very small town ), but you could feel the room get colder when they were both together.

Later, of course, Melba got divorced and Rose married her ex. Things went along for a while and then Melba came in to work wearing dark glasses. I asked Marge ( the other girl in the office ) what was going on and she said Melba had a black eye.

Melba had driven over to Rose/ex's house to drop off the two kids to her ex-husband one weekend. She and Rose had words, Melba started to get out of her car and Rose punched her and then a cat fight erupted. Police were called, people were arrested, people missed work for being in jail.

I brought the both into my office and basically said if I heard about any more trouble between them I would fire both of them. Luckily I didn't have too.

Later , of course, Rose and the ex got divorced and Melba and Rose started hanging out together going to the country and western bars. I guess they were comparing notes on what a SOB the ex was.

7. hogfish

hogfish Señor Member

Before reading further, I'll say they're hard of hearing.

Detectorist likes this.
  8. NH Trucker

NH Trucker

There are two sides to every story. Kneecap them both, just to be sure.

Sharkey likes this.
  9. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

Depending on my mood. I would have yelled Lighten Up Francis at them or Don't make me give you two a time out

10. glock_collector

glock_collector

I will say this, as a person who has managed employees for 3 decades. Photofellar is on...and when I ask a serious question to an employee about x, I can weed thru the sugar coated bs that you spew, and I know at that moment you'll never be a star on this TEAM, I asked for a reason and I want your input to factor into a decision. A successful team is made of varied individuals, with good, bad, strengths and weaknesses...key word being "team"=a group of individuals working for the greater good. I have fired employees for not dealing with a serious issue, ie not calling from a worksite to say what is going on. I wont work with a group of people who have the "county employee" mentality of not my job/problem ect..We work together, as a team, thru thick and thin or not, then you can find another job. Would anybody honestly want to go to a jobsite where everybody else thinks you come from a clown company? Have some pride in what you do.

11. teeceetx

teeceetx

I too have over 30 years of operations management - dealing with large numbers of staff. I completely agree with @glock_collector. Staying silent for what can be a serious issue is a game changer in my book. I would never tolerate a member of my team, regardless of how many levels below me they are, from remaining in my employ, if that is how they operate.

12. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd

Toxic workplaces outnumber good jobs by a huge margin. You are right, it is no fun. I'm doing my best to find a way to escape, and work for myself.

13. wjv

wjv RIP Stan Lee.. . .

Flash-Bang Stun Grenade

14. cougar_ml

cougar_ml

As others have said, this needs reported up the chain of command. The fact that they aren't an immediate coworker or even in the same line of work should mitigate fallout in the office.

If the place I worked at had me fearing for my employment if I were to report something like the security guards having a shouting match on company property during company time that could be overheard by many employees, I would be looking for employment elsewhere as it's not an environment I would be willing to put up with. Toxic is the term someone used a few posts back, and I completely agree.

If they can't behave like responsible adults then they really don't need to be at a workplace. Especially as the security guards are the ones hired specifically to handle issues like adults. If they can't do it during a good time, I wouldn't trust them to do it when they really need to.

At minimum someone above them needs to pull them aside, find out what happened, and deal with it. If it happens again either one or both need to work elsewhere.

15. Detectorist

Detectorist

I've heard of it happening on another shift and the previous big boss didn't do anything and covered it up. We now work for a new company which they claim wants to be more professional.

cougar_ml likes this.
  16. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller A swamp dude

I feel strongly that an employee’s integrity is his/her greatest asset in most companies. Companies that don’t promote honesty and integrity with emphasis on good customer service are not likely to have long-term success.

17. chiefjack

chiefjack

In the original post, I did not get a real clear picture of whether they were having a dispute or just too lazy to walk closer to each other to converse. Either way, if they disrupted you during your work, they probably disrupted others also. That is unprofessional and whether they were in a dispute or just lazy, they were out of line. I would bring it to the attention of HR (through the proper channels) and let it go from there.

Since your boss has asked you, tell him/her exactly what happened, no more or no less. There is obviously some concern if your boss has asked you about it.

18. Detectorist

Detectorist

They were literally screaming at each other with red faces and bulging g veins. One was my direct supervisor who I knew to have a terrible temper and an ego to match.

chiefjack likes this.
  19. Detectorist

Detectorist

Update:

Explained to the boss what I saw and was told it was in the hands of HR now and he would have nothing else to do with the situation.

chiefjack likes this.