GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
We had this one FTO on my shift who shouldn't have even been an officer in the first place. Again, he was an officer in uniform only. Since he ran a couple of businesses, he employed other officers including supervisors and brass. He was so worthless, and some of the worst officers came from his 'training.'

Even though at least one or more of his trainees complained about him doing business during training as well as many other problems, the managers never ended his FTO status. This is where the managers should have stepped in and ended his career. Instead, he went places I can't post about here.

I once played ping pong with a report he submitted for approval. Even after I rewrote most of it in the return comment section, which all he had to do was copy and paste for it to have been a semblance of a valid arrest report, he felt offended - attempting to correct it himself. The report was running out of time in the approval process since it was an arrest so I had to pass it on up. Shortly thereafter, I saw the sergeant for our narcotics task force. He was at a distance, and I yelled out I was sorry for that report. He instantly knew what I was talking about and said something negative about it I can't remember now.

·
Registered
6,816 Posts
We had one glaring example, termination was recommended and the Asst Chief said no.
He lived to regret that decision many times over. The Asst went on to be Chief and this guy was a thorn in his side for 20 years. He was smart enough to not get fired, but no supervisor wanted him and he excelled at pushing to the edge but not going over into Firedland.

·
Registered
6,816 Posts
Has anyone ever had a 'manager' who stayed a Cop while moving up?
My current chief actually. Big tactical guy, does a lot of callouts with them still.
He's made a couple of off duty arrests and made a call the other day and Tased a dude in the face. Guy had a knife and was behind a truck so in his defense, he only had from collar bone on up.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I wish they'd interfere w/ the one on our shift.
scared, hesitant, clueless, cannot talk on the radio, sandbagging MFer.

Sat. night I got a call and was 15 minutes out driving normal, 20 mins out @ speed limit. He is backup and no more than 5 out. I intentionally went the speed limit and beat him there still. he showed up immediately after I went on scene and I am all but certain the bastard was hiding on a side street waiting for me to get there first. Everyone has noticed he does this.

WORTHLESS I refuse to interact w/ him more than needed. He is on his third FTO (forcibly booted from other two), does not learn, and as of now, is still not allowed to do traffic stops because he "cannot be trusted yet." his academy spot has been given up to another rookie hired after him.
Crazy to me some states let people work the road before attending an academy...

·
Registered
30,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

·
"Cynical Little me"
7,148 Posts
The sputtering moron I had for an FTO used to pat people down thru the window of the squad cause he was to fat and Lazy to get out. I caught a murder with him, a 75yo woman, and what does he use to call the dicks and make notifications? The Phone in the APT, "the dicks went banana's". He used to try and run over pigeon's while the citizen's watched.

I never once saw anyone fired for not meeting standards. I guess the Boss's thought if they started setting precedents for "standards" they may one day be used on their people.

But while the FTO program was a major fail we were still hiring tough neighborhood guys so it didn't matter so much. I knew a few good FTO's but most didn't want the trouble of being one, the ones who did was somebody, anybody to give them the respect they never earned on the street. I either worked with my partner or worked alone. A few Boss's asked me to show the ropes to a kid and I didn't mind as long as "HE" was a good kid and didn't whinge about my cigar's.

·
Mr. Awesome
10,268 Posts
I've seen one special guy get FTO'ed with no FTOing. He was also put on the SWAT team and given a special SGT rank. He is gone now.
Only one? You new?

Reactions: wprebeck

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Crazy to me some states let people work the road before attending an academy...
yes, SC allows a year from hire date to graduate. when I was going through it was 12 week academy (as a new guy, laterals were 6 weeks). they've butchered the academy now though, with a good chunk being at agency online videos I DIGRESS.... I graduated about 3 weeks shy of my year mark, so about 9 mos. on road before academy. it helped me get through. in other areas it hurt. the old adage "forget what you learned on the street, do it their way, when you get back, forget everything you learned at the academy."

Not every agency does this though. I was one of maybe 4-5 in my academy class who'd been on the streets prior to academy. lots, like Greenville (another bigger agency) keeps em all in an admin role until they graduate. we do it to make sure they'll hack it before spending the $ on the academy. locally agencies will not hire someone until they've put in certain time with their agency. prevents guys who take the ride at a smaller agencies dime from jumping ship the minute they're certified.

I feel bad saying it bc it makes the state look bad but I know of agencies who have sent people up there and they cannot hack it, so they hire the same person, fire them, then re hire for years on end. One central academy here, everyone in the state goes. whole damn state is run out of COLUMBIA, our fair capital. "Famously hot" is the cities actual promotional slogan. it catches a bad rap statewide as a cess pool... and it is, just look at LIVEPD (Richland County). Upstate hates Columbia, Lowcountry hates Columbia. But it is a unique place, just gotta brush the crud off your glasses to see the good... the whole states is back asswards.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
yes, SC allows a year from hire date to graduate. when I was going through it was 12 week academy (as a new guy, laterals were 6 weeks). they've butchered the academy now though, with a good chunk being at agency online videos I DIGRESS.... I graduated about 3 weeks shy of my year mark, so about 9 mos. on road before academy. it helped me get through. in other areas it hurt. the old adage "forget what you learned on the street, do it their way, when you get back, forget everything you learned at the academy."

Not every agency does this though. I was one of maybe 4-5 in my academy class who'd been on the streets prior to academy. lots, like Greenville (another bigger agency) keeps em all in an admin role until they graduate. we do it to make sure they'll hack it before spending the $ on the academy. locally agencies will not hire someone until they've put in certain time with their agency. prevents guys who take the ride at a smaller agencies dime from jumping ship the minute they're certified.

I feel bad saying it bc it makes the state look bad but I know of agencies who have sent people up there and they cannot hack it, so they hire the same person, fire them, then re hire for years on end. One central academy here, everyone in the state goes. whole damn state is run out of COLUMBIA, our fair capital. "Famously hot" is the cities actual promotional slogan. it catches a bad rap statewide as a cess pool... and it is, just look at LIVEPD (Richland County). Upstate hates Columbia, Lowcountry hates Columbia. But it is a unique place, just gotta brush the crud off your glasses to see the good... the whole states is back asswards.
SC is a beautiful state. However, Florida is the only state in the entire southeastern United States I would want to work. Florida has something similar called the Temporary Employment Authorization. What that allows agencies to do is hire people that are going to be sponsored through an academy into sworn spots. They have 6 months to start an academy as a TEA, but no one works the road during that time frame. It's different here though, pretty much every state college has their own public safety academy that are run in conjunction with local agencies.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I've seen one special guy get FTO'ed with no FTOing. He was also put on the SWAT team and given a special SGT rank. He is gone now.
Oh! We have one of those!

He just got another promotion recently. He didn't even get a write up when he left his firearm unsecured in his vehicle last year. Anyone else would have been demoted and/or terminated.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts