Man shot in neck during training drill at shooting class

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by IvanVic, Sep 17, 2019.

1. wally1

wally1

I see a recurring theme where whole classes of people are condemned when something bad happens due to ignorance, poor planning, outright malice, etc. Not blaming anyone on this forum, it is a human reaction, but not well thought out.

ExecutiveWill likes this.
  2. IvanVic

IvanVic

This is sort of off topic, but why does swearing bother grown men?

This is a legitimate point that I don’t necessarily disagree with. It just depends on the class you’re taking and who the instructors are.

3. BradD

BradD

I took one of their classes in 2000. It was very good and he seemed like a good guy. At one point, I needed a ride to get cell phone coverage and he drove me there himself.

I haven't kept up with what he has done or said since then.

SCHADENFREUDE likes this.
  4. CAcop

CAcop

Swearing doesn't bother me per se but when I see people do it a lot it tells me they are either incapable of articulating themselves without it which could be problematic for you if you get in a shooting and say you learned what you did from them. Then up on the stand they either drop f bombs everywhere or they can't communicate effectively because they don't know how to talk without it.

The other more likely scenario is that he is trying to establish himself as some sort of alpha male. He is using swear words to mark his territory. It shows me he is actually insecure. Someone who is secure in who they are don't have to go running around peeing in the corners to mark their territory.

badge315, Tvov, Bus007 and 10 others like this.
  5. CAcop

CAcop

To a point. Do you have someone watching you perform said drills? Do you have someone who knows what to look for? Do you move when you draw? Do you move when you shoot?

We had a great shooter at our department. The only problem was he walked with his legs straight, no bending at the knees. He had to walk slower while shooting to stay accurate. A quick, "Bend your knees" got him moving faster.

6. 1bigK

1bigK

This is not the first questionable event to happen at Yeager’s school. A couple of years ago an ND happened, the bullet flew parallel to the line of students and hit a student’s truck. How this had been handled by the “MFCEO” (as he calls himself) is itself highly suspect.

If you go and read up on Yeager to try and vet him, the whole “resume” and all of his letters of reference (seriously, who has that many letter of recommendation) scream highly insecure individual. Add that to his elevated grasp of the English language and long background of controversy, it all screams shady and questionable, at best. I find it hard to believe that he is able to sell his classes and stay in business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

835mag likes this.
  7. IvanVic

IvanVic

Every thanksgiving he makes a video telling his alumni to come to his house if they have nobody to eat thanksgiving dinner with, because "nobody should eat alone on thanksgiving." For all of his faults, deep down he seems to be a very generous person but few people who bash him care to know that - it's kind of comparable to the outrage mob. They only look at the bad things people do.

There are a lot of articulate people who swear. I have never heard this idea of swearing and articulate being mutually exclusive - especially considering that swear words are regularly used in an articulate fashion by well respected fiction writers. I sincerely doubt James Yeager is going to end up on a stand using f-bombs because someone who took a class from him used lethal force when they shouldn't have. Nothing about that makes sense to me.

This event didn't happen at Yeager's school - it had nothing to do with Tactical Response. It happened at a school called Rockwell Tactical.

8. Lil

Lil

Hell, if not for the travel distance, I'd rather do some range time/instruction with a few GT'ers. We got some shooters around here!

9. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

:rofl:

10. 1bigK

1bigK

[QUOTE="This event didn't happen at Yeager's school - it had nothing to do with Tactical Response. It happened at a school called Rockwell Tactical.[/QUOTE]

Actually, this event did happen at Mr. Yeager’s school. It took JY 3 weeks to make a public comment about the incident, in which he threw the guilty party, a friend, under the bus.

11. IvanVic

IvanVic

No, it didn’t. It happened at a school called Rockwell Tactical in Pennsylvania. I linked the news report in my original post.

https://www.wfmz.com/news/poconos-c...gun-training-facility-police-say-1/1121433078

12. fastbolt

fastbolt

Inconsistent eye contact, language and body language can express things people may not realize.

I usually shake my head whenever phrases like "tactical community" arise. Almost as odd as "Carry lifestyle". When was it ever intended to be a style or community?

Some of the things you hear within some of the smaller commercially available firearms training venues reminds me of the 70's when martial arts schools/dojos/halls were opening to become belt mills for money. While that annoyed and often offended me when I was a young martial artist, I later realized that it was usually fine for the folks who didn't need better training, or didn't realize there was better training to be found. Bottom line, it took some years for me to realize it wasn't my place to criticize them being satisfied with what they received from places that were happy to take their money to pay the rent.

ExecutiveWill likes this.
  13. Longbow

Longbow Millennium Member

I think that his second language. :)

14. lazarus66

lazarus66

Seems like you'd want to train drunk and naked, like when actual fights start.

badge315, happyguy and willie_pete like this.
  15. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

16. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

This was a quote as well. Following was NOT what I was saying. It was what I was atempting to correct. For some reason it didn't appear as a quote

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  17. CAcop

CAcop

You didn't address the insecurity issue.

IvanVic likes this.
  18. 1bigK

1bigK

In attempt to clear up. The truck in parking lit being shot happened at Yeagers class. The student shot in neck did not. It was a FORMER instructor who left Yeager's school to start his own.
    Swearing is tiring. I don't swear. If I do it has results. Just because it's not my normal conversation. If needed I will. I do not admire people who can't communicate without swearing every 5th word. Someone screws up, endangers another a single swear word might be useful. A profane outburst tells me the instructor like a little dog is scared.[/QUOTE]

You saved me having to sit down at my PC tonight and finding that again. I knew that I had read it this morning early, but that story was playing hide and seek with my phone since then.

19. Tomcat1977

Tomcat1977 Unapologetic Deplorable.

This is kind of why I train alone. I have a friend who's a good instructor that I can talk training stuff with but I'm not paying someone $$ to get all type A with me and brag about "resumes" and "kills" and "F-words I'll fight anyone". Let alone purse fights between players.

Then they find out your a cop, and from where, and then they get an attitude that you have an attitude. The real schmucks try to embarrass you or the Police service. If its one thing I cant stand its someone with a chip on their shoulder for anything. And I cant stand anyone who takes the time I paid for to badmouth others in the business.

I know guys who have trained with Vogel and say he's a real class act. Ive talked to him thru E-mails and maybe I'll get down there some time, he's a hell of a shot I know that much. I'm not even in his league.

I dont know anyone in this purse fight but I think these video's are a mistake. Concentrate on your students building them into better shooters and let everything outside your control stay there. Or call a lawyer. Accidental shootings are bad enough without purse fight video's and indirect threats in between cussing. Its unprofessional.

badge315 likes this.
  20. The_Dan

The_Dan The underscore is silent

92% of the time, you are absolutely right 100%.

I am a huge believer in blending in, being gray, preserving whatever element of surprise for me to utilize if needed. I am also a holster believer and that’s the only thing we part ways on.

Well stated though. It is surprising to me that someone would bother to conceal a handgun while basically wearing a neon sign that says “I am carrying a handgun, in the event of a gunfight please shoot me first”.

willie_pete and 1bigK like this.