close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Man shot following GPS error

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Dragoon44, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

2. sheriff733

sheriff733 NRA LIFE MEMBER

3. Patchman

Patchman Florist

The proximity of the GPS unit probably was interfering with the shooter's tinfoil....

WAIT A SECOND!!! What's the shooter's GT handle?

4. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Sorry, thought it was TBO coming to take my gunz.

'Murica!

5. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

I've ended up in dire straits while following my GPS, many times.

High Crime areas and Ghettos should be added to their "Avoidances" list.

6. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

Had a couple punks use the same excuse a couple years ago when they ended up in my driveway and I pulled in behind them after returning from the local store.

Guess that driving 1/2 mile of gravel road posted with several "Private Road", "No Trespassing" "Keep Out" and one "You're In Range" signs didn't phase them....:upeyes:

I didn't open fire, but I sure did give them very good directions on how to get back to the other end of the road quickly and not to make the mistake ever, ever again.....:supergrin:

7. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

People die all the time following bad GPS. IIRC, a German family died in Death Valley and a Japanese family in the Cascades taking roads that were impassable. HH

8. itisbruno

itisbruno Devious Member CLM

:tbo:

9. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

I'm sure they'd like to and most people would appreciate the addition but you know the permanently pissed off do gooders would be filing lawsuits before the things even hit the market.

10. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT Resident Evil

Tragic for all involved.

11. Patchman

Patchman Florist

Had a friend who used an older (not-updated) GPS that showed he was driving through a huge wilderness/forrest when in fact he was on a just opened highway. He claims even the GPS voice screamed out "Oh G-d, You're going to Die."

12. stillbill

stillbill

2 different brand of GPS have the house numbers starting from the wrong end of the street I live on.

Had a contractor looking for a house, his GPS had the wrong information.

13. Hicksville Kid

Hicksville Kid

Well, here you go..

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_...osoft-avoid-ghetto-patent-sparks-controversy/

14. Gonetodarkside

Gonetodarkside owl protector

I was riding with my brother in Ft. Worth to look at a rent house we were gonna buy. My brother was following the gps when real quick like houses had boarded up windows and there was trash all around the street. It was near some lake near downtown? Anyway, a large man came running out of a house looking at our vehicle as it approached. He pointed at us and looked at us like we were crazy and motioned for us to take the next right and get out of the area. We looked down the street, beyond the large man, and a group of 15-20 black men were running at our vehicle. Apparently they were not to happy we were in the area. We took the right and got the heck out of there.

15. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

I blade every time the mailman pulls up front.

16. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

It sounds like the home owner really messed up. (from limited info)
    You need to wait till the "threat" makes it so you either shoot or get harmed. Person pulling into my drive? NOPE, Person breaking thru my door with a axe (and they are not FD/house not on fire) they are about to get vented. (they still have a chance but its running low)
    I have confronted folks in my yard/ inside my shed. I may get vocal, I don't threaten to shoot them. (ok some might prefer I point gun rather then scare the crap out of them)

17. VinnieD

VinnieD

I am pretty sure now that google maps is trying to kill me. It's more than once lead me to areas where the local architecture involved bars on the windows. It also likes to outright lie about the locations of things including insisting at one time that my girlfriend's new place was right smack dab in the middle of an interstate overpass.

18. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

When I read the title of this story I figured for sure someone pulled into a drug house driveway or something. Nope, just another crotchety old man who has no business owning firearms because he's a moron.

19. 2@low8

2@low8

The shooter messed up his life big time. That said, I used to work with his wife. There is much, much more to the story. Don't know if it will have any effect on getting him out of jail though. When he left the house with the gun he escalated the situation and started the chain of events leading to the shooting.

Some things to consider in favor of the shooter. The victim was looking for a friend to go ice skating - At 10PM (???). A few years ago, a home invasion, double homicide 1000 yards from this spot. Know gang and drug activity on the next street over. Neighbors house - next door, looted clean last week.

Again, still no excuse to go outside when the best defense is staying inside. just a couple of things not noted in the news reports.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  20. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

That standoff in Alabama....didn't it start with the old buggar shooting at someone who pulled into his driveway?