close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Man orders TV, gets "assault rifle" instead.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by I'M Glockamolie, Aug 9, 2012.

1. I'M Glockamolie

I'M Glockamolie

http://www.chron.com/news/article/DC-man-orders-TV-gets-assault-rifle-instead-3774723.php

WASHINGTON (AP) — A Washington musician who ordered a flat-screen TV from Amazon.com was shocked to receive a semiautomatic assault rifle instead.

Thirty-eight-year-old Seth Horvitz says he purchased the 39-inch television from a third-party seller. A box arrived from UPS on Tuesday evening, and it seemed too small to contain the TV. He says he initially thought it contained accessories.

But when he opened it, he found a Sig Sauer military-style rifle. He says he had never held a gun before he felt the trigger of the rifle.

An invoice showed that the gun was intended for delivery to a firearms dealer in Duncansville, Pa. Horvitz called police, who took the gun and are investigating how the mistaken shipment occurred. Amazon and UPS had no immediate comment.

2. kensb2

kensb2 pistol n00b

What's a semi-automatic assault rifle???

3. sheriff733

sheriff733 NRA LIFE MEMBER

Yeah, I would have probably just called that one a win and ordered another TV.

:supergrin:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  4. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Dammmmnnnnn. The most interesting thing I've ever mis-received is a guitar magazine.

I want a Sig rifle! :supergrin:

5. RimfireMan

RimfireMan

I've got a package from Amazon coming today. I have my fingers crossed!

6. Drain You

Drain You NRA member

Already seen this story on the libtards boards. Surprisingly none of them had a seizure from a 'merican getting a gun they weren't background checked for.

7. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

If I remember correctly, there is a postal law that says that if anything is sent to you and it is properly addressed with your name on it then it is rightfully yours free and clear. The law was written to protect people from shady scams where they send something you didn't order and then bill you for it. Should apply in this case too.

Did the article mention if it was addressed to him?

8. bfg1971

bfg1971

Why does this never happen to me?

9. jason10mm

jason10mm NRA-GOA-TSRA

Well, in this case I think they could get you on receiving a firearm without a proper FFL. Especially if it was shipped across state lines. I think discretion was by far the better part of valor in this case, they WILL find that rifle, and you WILL be in more trouble than it is worth if you had kept it.

But yeah, I would have had to shoot it at the range a few times "just to make sure it wasn't a replica or 'nuthin" :p

10. Goaltender66

Goaltender66 NRA GoldenEagle

Heard this mentioned on the radio news this morning. Interestingly, instead of mentioning the last paragraph (which is that the rifle was supposed to go to a dealer in PA, which is legal) the reporterette chose to quote the musician as being shocked at how easy it is to have an assault rifle delivered to your door.

Oh, fella...if *only* it were that easy. :upeyes:

11. Geko45

Of course, the right thing to do would be to return it. I would have taken it (or shipped it) to the FFL it was intended for instead of calling the police though.

To play devil's advocate though, I don't think a charge of receiving a weapon would stick cuz most crimes require an element of intent. In this case, there was no intent. It just arrived by mistake. If he had kept it then the DA would have been in the sticky position of trying to prove intent by inaction as opposed to action (i.e. he made no attempt to return it).

Still, in a practical sense it would mess up your whole world for awhile while you got dragged through the courts. Totally not worth it for one rifle.

12. mj9mm

mj9mm

some people have all the luck:whistling:

13. wjv

wjv Zip It Stan Lee.. . .

Or it's a set up and it was purposely sent to him (and he is in on it) so that the media could write an article about "assault weapons" being sent trough the mail.

Last time I checked Amazon didn't even sell guns. . . So how the hell did his tv get swapped out for a rifle?

14. devildog2067

devildog2067

Many third-party sellers us Amazon to sell many things. It's not at all hard to believe that there might be an Amazon seller that sells TVs on Amazon and guns through some other channel.

15. devildog2067

devildog2067

Why was he feeling up the rifle? :dunno: Weirdo

16. tmerritt530

tmerritt530

Doesn't have to be from amazon. Just a shipping mix up. I work in a ups hub and i will admit some crazy junk sometimes happens.

17. Geko45

A marine is asking this? "This is my rifle, this is my gun..."

:tongueout: :wavey:

18. arclight610

arclight610

Some unlucky SOB is going to go pick up his Sig556/551 at the FFL only to find out that its a TV.

19. TalkToTheGlock

TalkToTheGlock Zombie Hunter

Amazing. I have about seven orders pending from Amazon maybe I'll get one too!

Like some else said, Winning.

20. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

Hmmm, So on average you can get a 39" flat screen from anywhere between $300 to $600.

Unless it was a Sig 522 22lr , I can't think of too many Sig semi auto "Assault Rifles" that sells for less than $900.

I know at the end of the day the smart thing to do would be to call Amazon and alert them of the error, but boy I would be tempted not to. If anything I would be returning to Amazon a slightly used and dirty rifle. :whistling: