close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Man Gets 8-Year Sentence For Trying To Pass $1 Million Bills

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by armorplated, Jan 19, 2010.

1. armorplated

armorplated

http://www.ktul.com/news/stories/0110/697442.html

Tulsa - An Owasso man is going to prison for eight years for trying to pass four 1-million dollar bills.

A judge sentenced 37-year-old Matthew Grabhorn last week. He was arrested last June after asking a teller at the Oklahoma National Bank in Owasso for a four-million dollar cashier's check in return for the fake bills.

Grabhorn was charged with knowingly concealing stolen property and attempted false pretense over 500 dollars. He was sentenced to a pair of eight-year sentences which will run concurrently.

Court records show Grabhorn also has a pending case for a charge of bogus checks in excess of five hundred dollars. He pleaded not guilty to the charge last week.

Grabhorn has previously been convicted of forgery, false pretenses, defrauding an innkeeper and bogus check.

2. armorplated

armorplated

I don't understand why the teller was suspicious.

3. Aurora

Aurora

Did it have Obama's picture on it?

V.

4. slewfoot

slewfoot Random Mayhem

I guess the judge didn't have a sense of humor or his wife made change for one of the bills.

5. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

I don't think I could have even charged him with a crime. :rofl: But I gave a two dollar bill to a 7 eleven cashier in Herndon, Va and he would not take it because he thought it was fake even though it was real.:supergrin: I guess the cashier probably actually cashed something and they didn't want anyone knowing how stupid they were. :wow::rofl:

6. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Yeah and a guy in Baltimore MD got busted for using $2 bills to pay a bill. Be careful with that.

7. kestrou

kestrou Pin Member #4

The big dummy - he should have just gold plated some 400oz tungsten bars.

Those are only worth about $400K each though, so I can see why he went the route he did. :whistling:

kestrou

8. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

Are you sure they were not three dollar bills? :rofl:The track gives two dollar bills sometimes. I even get mine from the bank. Were the guy's bills printed on his computer?

9. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

It's hard to believe the teller even called the cops. I'd have laughed it off and said "next".

10. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

No, legit $2 bills. Paid $144 for an install they said wouldn't cost him anything. The store didn't believe $2 bills existed. The cops had him in cuffs until the Secret Service determined the bills were real. It was a mess. Somewhere around 2005-2006.

11. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

:rofl:Now that is funny. The guy at 7 eleven looked at me like I was crazy with the two dollar bill. Maybe they need to teach currency to all cashiers at businesses. I will have to google that and see what I can find. I fully believe you though. Just an incredible story:wavey:

12. void *

void * Dereference Me!

My wife had a fast food restaurant accuse her of trying to pass a fake bill because the bill was an '88 or '89 series and didn't have the security thread (which was introduced in 1990).

13. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

What the heck, I've hijacked it this much:

http://newsmine.org/content.php?ol=...buy-shopper-arrested-for-two-dollar-bills.txt

A tale of customer service, justice and currency as funny as a $2 bill
    Michael Olesker

March 8, 2005

PUT YOURSELF in Mike Bolesta's place. On the morning of Feb. 20, he buys a new radio-CD player for his 17-year-old son Christopher's car. He pays the $114 installation charge with 57 crisp new $2 bills, which, when last observed, were still considered legitimate currency in the United States proper. The $2 bills are Bolesta's idea of payment, and his little comic protest, too.

For this, Bolesta, Baltimore County resident, innocent citizen, owner of Capital City Student Tours, finds himself under arrest.

Finds himself, in front of a store full of customers at the Best Buy on York Road in Lutherville, locked into handcuffs and leg irons.

Finds himself transported to the Baltimore County lockup in Cockeysville, where he's handcuffed to a pole for three hours while the U.S. Secret Service is called into the case.

Have a nice day, Mike.

(there's more of the story on the linked page)

14. rhikdavis

rhikdavis U.S. Veteran

Remember the KFC cashier that gave change for a 200 dollar bill with Clintons face on it...:supergrin:

15. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

You are the man. You found it very quickly. I wonder if he settled out of court against Best Buy. I couldn't find any lawsuits by him on this issue. :rofl:I guess they need to teach money in schools too and even police academy too. :supergrin: That is another great story.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  16. vafish

vafish

How much did he get in the lawsuit?

17. armorplated

armorplated

$2 million. All in $4 bills.

18. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

:dunno:

19. Russ in PA

Russ in PA

I hope they put him away for life. He got me TWICE with those bogus bills. :steamed:

20. major

major Rejected member

The article didn't say............I wonder if the guy got to keep the 4 million.