Man doesn't remember WWII father, English town does

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ithaca_deerslayer, Nov 11, 2010.

1. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

2. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

I think the reason I find the story so striking isn't because of some super hero status of the father, but rather because he was doing what he was supposed to do in the war, and sacrifising so much at home. A son he never got to know, and a wife who later remarried.

It just sort of hits you that as the soldier dies on the battle field, his baby son may grow up and know absolutely nothing about him, as if the father never existed. But the father did exist. The aged son now has been given the opportunity to see the history of his father remembered.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010

3. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

4. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Hmm, maybe others don't find this as special as I did. The guy didn't freaking know anything about his father. And they are like, oh by the way did you know your father flew a glider behind enemy lines on D-Day and won the Air Medal? Um, no, I didn't know that.

:patriot:

5. g21owner

g21owner

6. gbambeck1

gbambeck1 Tinfoiler

Great read. Thank you.

7. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

I was stationed in England for a short time while I was active duty USAF (RAF Alconbury). One day we stopped at a pub that we hadn't been to before that was somewhat out of the way. While having a drink we noticed that the mantle of the fireplace was covered in coins that had been permanently pounded into the wood. We asked the pub keep about it and he explained that American bomber crews had been flying out of the nearby airfield during WWII and they had a tradition of leaving a coin on the mantle before a mission for good luck. If they survived they would come back and retrieve it. If they didn't, they hammered it in place.

The mantle was COVERED in coins... We all had a lump in our throat after hearing the story.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  8. swinokur

swinokur

That's why I LOVE the English. Their collective memory doesn't seem to be as short as the French

9. scottish

scottish

Great post