close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Man (& childs) Best Friend

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Zonny, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Zonny

Zonny

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/new...e-search-underway-for-missing-3-year-old-girl

Dog Kept Missing Yavapai Co. Girl Alive

Girl was taken to the hospital with frostbite

Updated: Friday, 19 Feb 2010, 8:23 PM MST
    Published : Thursday, 18 Feb 2010, 11:22 PM MST

CORDES LAKES, Ariz. - A 3-year-old girl is back with her parents after spending the night alone in the 30-degree northern Arizona wilderness. Rescue teams found the girl early Friday morning, and curled up right next to her was the family dog Blue.
    Yavapai County Sheriff's Office spokesman Dwight D'Evelyn credits the Queensland Heeler with 3-year-old Victoria Bensch's survival. Doctors say she's extremely lucky to have survived the freezing temps.
    A Department of Public Safety helicopter crew saw movement and found the little girl and her dog just before 9 o'clock Friday morning, three-quarters of a mile from her home. DPS paramedic Eric Tarr said the girl was facedown in the wash -- if it wasn't for her dog, they might not have seen her.
    "I kneeled down next to her and told her 'I'm going to take you to your mommy.' She smiled at me and put her arms up," said Tarr. The 3-year-old was not wearing shoes.
    The DPS crew landed and then flew the child back to be reunited with her mother and father.
    "She was already pretty cold by the time we got to her and it was good the dog was with her," said DPS pilot Matt Uhl.
    "You could see the dog's expression almost turn into a smile. It came and jumped into the helicopter no problem at all," said Tarr.
    The child was then flown to Phoenix Children's Hospital for frostbite treatment and swollen feet. The girl is expected to spend the night in the hospital as a precaution. Victoria's dad says that once he has her home, he's planning to throw a big barbeque as a thank you to all the rescuers.
    Authorities said the little girl was outside playing early Thursday evening when she disappeared along with her dog.
    Phoenix dog trainer Toni Drugmand has been training dogs for 20 years. Drugmand says dogs are pack animals that will sometimes assume the role of responsibility when there's an emergency. After hearing Victoria and Blue's story of survival, she's more convinced than ever that dogs are man's best friend.
    "It was kind of exciting, it was touching, it brought tears to my eyes," said Drugmand.
    Cordes Lakes is 36 miles east of Prescott in Arizona's high country.

2. HandyMan Hugh

HandyMan Hugh NRA Life Member

That story is a tear jerker---fortunately for the right reasons.
    Thanks Zonny for sharing that.

3. Annhl8rX

Annhl8rX

That's a great story. I'm not sure how there are people who don't like dogs.

4. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

They are wonderful creatures.

5. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

Lost little girl her dog and a helo. Damn onions.
    Thanks for the post.

6. bearshoegun

bearshoegun

Thats good and all but how in the hell do you leave your 3 year old playing in a back yard by herself where she can go missing overnight?

Big enough to make her play indoors with locked doors!

7. goldenlight

goldenlight

Wonderful story!

I hope that dog is in for a steak at that barbecue!!!

8. trifecta

trifecta

Glad the child is ok. Hope the parents can figure out a way to stay ahead of their 3 year old.

9. Davegrave

Davegrave Dapper Dan

I always think my dog is a hero just for not biting my son when hes hitting him with toys and poking him in the face. Hell, I want to bite him half the time...my dog is a saint. :rofl:

Good thing that little girl had such a good friend.

10. badge315

badge315

Whenever I read a story like this, it never fails to astonish me how some folks can see dogs as nothing more than soul-less pieces of property.:dunno:

They are quite obviously so much more than that.

11. JohnnyK221

JohnnyK221